E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #41
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Not to me, to their wives. Nice dodge though.

There is no higher sacred contract of trust than between a man and his wife. If you make the solemn promise to forsake all others until death do you part, then do it. Otherwise don't get married.
If not to you (or anyone else here, I presume), what is this thread about?
Dodging what? You want me to answer for them?

I can tell you're not married.

But beyond marriage, what utopic world do you live in?
Just make everyone swear to not commit crimes and we're done.

Last edited by Master Po; 11-11-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Ive been married for 12 years boy. And loyal to m wife for 14.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #43
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post

Didn't that French prime minister (Chiraq?) had a well know mistress for ever? I heard she was more popular with the French than his wife was.
At the same time Clinton is caught with an intern and is almost impeached.
It's just a matter of (unrealistic) expectations.
The French can do what they want to with their president. I am not concerned with them. They surrendered their entire nation during WW2 in 14 days (?). So I guess integrity and honor are ideals they don't hold very high. BTW......how many tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Allied soldiers died liberating France ?

Clinton embarassed and humiliated the entire country . And he was impeached for lying, not the adultery. Monica Lewinsky is still single, and can't keep a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Only thing is Petraeus is retired. He left the Army when appointed to be D/CIA.

UCMJ doesn't apply to him anymore
Yes and no. I forgot he was retired. I got so used to hearing him referred to as a General, I was assuming he was still active. It is not something spent a lot of time thinking about.

However, UCMJ still applies to retirees in certain extreme circumstances. I don't think that this qualifies as one of those circumstances though. If he or anyone else was retired and they wrote a book and started telling secrets they swore not to tell, they would find themselves in trouble.

If you are retired, you can still be recalled to active duty in the event of a national emergency.

I read that his gf was in the Reserves. She could be in trouble, but I doubt if it will happen. She'll probably just fade away.

I feel sorry for everyone else though. Can you imagine how humiliated Mrs. Petraeus and their kids are ? To learn about this from the tv and have your family problems discussed in 1080P High Definition around the entire world ?

And Broadwell's husband must feel like crap too.
I read that a second woman might be involved too.

Quote:
Not to me, to their wives. Nice dodge though.

There is no higher sacred contract of trust than between a man and his wife. If you make the solemn promise to forsake all others until death do you part, then do it. Otherwise don't get married.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

However, UCMJ still applies to retirees in certain extreme circumstances. I don't think that this qualifies as one of those circumstances though. If he or anyone else was retired and they wrote a book and started telling secrets they swore not to tell, they would find themselves in trouble.
No doubt he signed a non-disclosure agreement, but that's an agreement between him and the US Govt, not the US Army. If he was active duty, he'd be tried under the UCMJ in military court. Since he's retired, he'd be tried in Federal Court.

Take for instance the book No Easy Day. The DOD can press charges against the former SEAL, but he'd still be tried in Federal Court where the DOD would be plaintiff and the author the defendant.

At least that's my understanding and how I think it works.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #45
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I guess Code Pink and Moveon.org is right about calling the man, "General Betray Us."

lol.

1) Lied about Libya in front congress just to protect Obama
2) Had an affair with a married military officer that is of lower rank them he is/was. She was a west point grad and is a LTC in the reserves I believed

this guy just lost all of his creditbility.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #46
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I guess Code Pink and Moveon.org is right about calling the man, "General Betray Us."

lol.

2) Had an affair with a married military officer that is of lower rank them he is/was. She was a west point grad and is a LTC in the reserves I believed

I think it is interesting that the book she wrote is called 'IN DEEP'
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
it would be more interesting if the title was "balls deep"
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post

lol.

You don't know that he lied - you're speculating with that one.

Yes, he's let a lot of people down, lost credibility, but the only person he's really betrayed (so far) is his wife.

Like Benghazi, this one i'm going to wait and see how things pan out.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-11-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #49
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I think it is interesting that the book she wrote is called 'IN DEEP'
the book was called "All In"...

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #50
Raymond42262

I guess I should have checked it first........I was close..
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Because it's about setting the example, and in his words, it's about honor. He cannot expect to lead an organization where ethos such as honor and other values are held in high regard, when he, in fact, broke that trust and had an affair.

His resignation letter to CIA employees:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...53f_story.html
I think this has much more to do with him potentially being blackmailed then worrying about anything relating to morality. With his position and knowledge, dirt like this doesn't stay buried for long and it can be used to leverage quite a bit of information and power.

In the end the part about it that bothers me is the timing. Right before he is scheduled to testify. I suspect the issue goes deeper than most are willing to admit.

I do think better of the man for beating others to the punch and being the first to admit it.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #52
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Petraeus may be called in U.S. inquiry on Benghazi: Feinstein

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Despite an adultery scandal that ended David Petraeus' tenure as CIA chief, the general may be called to testify in a Senate inquiry into the killing of four Americans at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Senator Dianne Feinstein said Sunday.

Feinstein, the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said on the "Fox News Sunday" program that Petraeus' resignation on Friday "was like a lightning bolt."

She said there will be an investigation into why the FBI failed to inform her and others on the intelligence committee before Friday about the extramarital affair between Petraeus and his biographer, Paula Broadwell, when the FBI probe had been proceeding for weeks.

The California Democrat said there was no connection between Petraeus' resignation and the September 11, 2012, killings in Benghazi. Petraeus had been scheduled to testify about the Benghazi case on Thursday in a closed session of the committee; Mike Morrell, the acting CIA director, is now expected to do so.

She said the committee may decide to call Petraeus in a future meeting of the intelligence panel on the Benghazi killings. Four U.S. citizens were killed, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

"My biggest concern is, there are literally hundreds of threat warnings in the material that has been accumulated," Feinstein said. "There were five attacks during the year, one prior attack on the consulate itself. The question I have is ... why wasn't something done about it?"

U.S. Representative Peter King, the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, raised questions about why it took FBI investigators so long to inform President Barack Obama and others in his administration that Petraeus was involved.

FBI TIMELINE QUESTIONED

"The timeline has to be looked at and analyzed," the New York congressman said on CNN's "State of the Union. "Because obviously this was a matter involving a potential compromise of security and the president should have been told about it at the earliest stage."

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said he was ready to turn the page on the scandal that prompted Petraeus to resign, but said the former general must testify before Congress about what he called a "national security failure" at Benghazi.

Graham, of South Carolina, called for a Watergate-style joint select committee of members of the House and Senate to investigate the matter.

Speaking on "Face the Nation" on CBS, Graham said the Pentagon and the U.S. intelligence community have much to explain in this case, but singled out Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, for her role.

"I don't, quite frankly, trust her rendition of Benghazi," Graham said. Rice initially described the attack as a spontaneous outburst rather than a planned attack. Her handling of the matter provided fodder to Republican opponents in the final months of Obama's re-election campaign.

Rice has been mentioned as a possible choice by Obama to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, but Graham said Rice's nomination to this post "would have incredibly difficult time getting through the Senate."

"I would not vote for her unless there's a tremendous opening up of information explaining herself in a way she has not yet done," Graham said of Rice.

http://news.yahoo.com/petraeus-may-c...040127558.html
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #53
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Just saw this on the news. At least the Gen's mistress has good taste in cars.

guess what she drives.

see pictures of her, her husband, house, and of course her car

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1199932
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
From what I understand the CIA is even more strict about affairs and whatnot because of the possibility of being able to blackmail an agent in exchange for intel. So yes, this is a big deal and not just a case of two consenting adults.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #55
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
I've known several guys that were adjutants to generals. They said without exception every single one of them had extramarital affairs. It's a damn shame.
Agreed! That's why I haven't taken the soapbox when discussing his actions. This is common practice, and at the end of the day, people are human and will make mistakes regardless of their position of power. That's not to say that I condone the behavior, but I understand it (..especially when you spend extensive amounts of time - alone - with someone of the opposite sex whom you are attracted to; it's bound to happen).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-15-2012 at 10:28 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote