E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Do you always $%^& yourself whenever you teach someone to drive?

I taught a few people to drive. Teaching people to drive a standard is a lot easier if they know how to drive an auto rather than teaching someone to drive from scratch.

It came to the point where I won't teach anyone else. I literally do the sign of the cross whenever I get in the car with someone who doesn't know how to drive.

I give props to all these driving instructors. Must take alot balls teaching overs to drive.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
pvssy

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
I taught a few people to drive. Teaching people to drive a standard is a lot easier if they know how to drive an auto rather than teaching someone to drive from scratch.

It came to the point where I won't teach anyone else. I literally do the sign of the cross whenever I get in the car with someone who doesn't know how to drive.

I give props to all these driving instructors. Must take alot balls teaching overs to drive.
That depends what "$%^&" stands for. My answer could be yes or no.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I like having the chance to teach a new driver the right way to do it. For stickshift, I just tell them to watch my feet for a while then let them take over. It's always better if it's in a car they supply.

It doesn't always work out though. When I was selling my stickshift Jetta, the parking lot test drive turned into a half-hour driving lesson. To top it off, the boy's mother -- AFTER they shook on a deal -- told me to call her once I got the CEL fixed, which I had shown as soon as I got there and explained exactly what vacuum hoses it needed. I sold the car an hour later to a customer who bought it over the phone then got an airplane ticket to come pick it up that evening (it was a TDI). It was a good thing I refused the lady's deposit
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
only when they switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by broey v View Post
only when they switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
Haha I think some people have that quote on their clipboard just waiting to use it again.

In response to the thread, I've taught 2 people to drive (teenage girls). In addition, I taught one of them to drive manual, as well as my nephew.

Teaching the girls to drive was a bit terrifying. I never used my own car, but that was probably because it's a manual and that wasn't happening from the start. One of them picked up the driving part pretty quickly...the other took a bit longer. Funny thing is that the second one is a much better driver than the first at this point.

I taught the first to drive a manual about a year after she had learned to drive. It took a little while, but she was pretty gung-ho about it and paid really close attention. It took her a while to pick it up, probably because the time I spent with her was so limited in the car. And because I didn't trust her for more than a few minutes of driving around the neighborhood in my car. Recently, I'm out of touch with her family and her and I probably won't see her again...she was just getting good at it too and I was pretty much ready to trust her to take it out on major roads.

My nephew on the other hand, we went to a parking lot and in 5 minutes had mastered everything but downshifting. He went out and bought an a4 with a manual for his first car and he's probably just as good as I am with a clutch at this point.

I guess it depends in who you teach, how much you trust them to make reasoned and deliberate decisions that aren't rash, and what risk you're prepared to take while teaching.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I teach WINTER driving performance So yes I shit myself on a regular basis, Costco gives me great deals on underwear

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I teach WINTER driving performance So yes I shit myself on a regular basis, Costco gives me great deals on underwear
That would be fun, in their car.
Although it would be very stressful.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
I have never taught a total newb to drive.

But I instructed club hpdes for many years. My students were always older, experienced drivers. Last year a local group was in a jam for instructors at a teen street survival course, so I went to help. The difference between the typical clueless but experienced driver and a teen thats only been driving for a few months was eye-opening to me.

Good on ya for teaching drivers from scratch.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
This sounds sexist but I've had a few ladies ask me to teach them stick in my car and each time I say no

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I've taught three girlfriends how to drive stick. One in her jetta, one in my old Honda, and the last one in my BMW. Never broke a sweat.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
That would be fun, in their car.
Although it would be very stressful.
We have a a few differnt cars one is AWD and one RWD, Some people want to learn to drive in their car so i do that too

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote