E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
jaydeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 252
My Ride: 02 330I,92 E30 Vert
Thermostat codes

In my 02 330I SES light came on. Checked code with Peake tool and got stuck Thermostat code. I check coolant temp on hidden dash display and its 86. Is that normal temp?
Car runs normal. Fuel economy is same. Temp gauge is at center.
jaydeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,855
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
See what the temp gauge reads when driving on a highway for 10-15 mins. I think it might show a little low...but watch it...if it starts going high, back off, get off and get the therm changed.

Running just a tad cooler is the most common sign of stuck open therm. Not a critical issue, but a serious one as the car isn't running at its most efficient temp and your mpgs will suffer, among other things.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
jaydeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 252
My Ride: 02 330I,92 E30 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
See what the temp gauge reads when driving on a highway for 10-15 mins. I think it might show a little low...but watch it...if it starts going high, back off, get off and get the therm changed.

Running just a tad cooler is the most common sign of stuck open therm. Not a critical issue, but a serious one as the car isn't running at its most efficient temp and your mpgs will suffer, among other things.
My temp gauge is at center on highway too.
BTW how many miles on your car now? I know you had over 200k. wish I could make it over 200k on my car.
jaydeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,855
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I just passed the moon...240K miles.

If your therm is an aftermarket/aluminum housing type (non-wahler, which is OE) then it's suspect.

I'd be more likely to trust the code is telling you something...but get it cleared and see if it returns. Don't ignore it, though.

Maybe it thinks that from a temp sensor down stream of therm...IDK for sure...but I do know that you should take care of cooling system issues pretty soon.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
jaydeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 252
My Ride: 02 330I,92 E30 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I just passed the moon...240K miles.

If your therm is an aftermarket/aluminum housing type (non-wahler, which is OE) then it's suspect.

I'd be more likely to trust the code is telling you something...but get it cleared and see if it returns. Don't ignore it, though.

Maybe it thinks that from a temp sensor down stream of therm...IDK for sure...but I do know that you should take care of cooling system issues pretty soon.
Therm is stock never replace and car got 85k.
I cleared code and got same code.
jaydeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,855
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So, going back to your original post...86 is a little on the cool side of normal operating temp. I'm usually between 89-96 and mostly around 91-93.

So, I don't think you're far off...and maybe you wouldn't even notice, but your temp gauge might drop even a mm left of center.

I'd monitor it and the temp from cluster test to try to get a sense of things...doesn't sound critical...but warrants close monitoring anyway.

You've checked coolant level, I assume. Also, have you flushed the coolant in the last 3-4 years?
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
jaydeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 252
My Ride: 02 330I,92 E30 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So, going back to your original post...86 is a little on the cool side of normal operating temp. I'm usually between 89-96 and mostly around 91-93.

So, I don't think you're far off...and maybe you wouldn't even notice, but your temp gauge might drop even a mm left of center.

I'd monitor it and the temp from cluster test to try to get a sense of things...doesn't sound critical...but warrants close monitoring anyway.

You've checked coolant level, I assume. Also, have you flushed the coolant in the last 3-4 years?
My coolant level was little bit low first time I got code. Added coolant reset code and came up again but coolant level is normal (mean did not loos any coolant after added)
I have to flush coolant its been a while. Do you recommend any coolant other them OE (non BMW)?
jaydeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,198
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I think I may have a stuck thermostat, though I don't have a code. Here is me sitting in a drive through at 38 degrees air temperature:



It doesn't do this when it's warm outside, so that's why I didn't know about it until recently.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-10-2012 at 11:32 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,855
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeep View Post
My coolant level was little bit low first time I got code. Added coolant reset code and came up again but coolant level is normal (mean did not loos any coolant after added)
I have to flush coolant its been a while. Do you recommend any coolant other them OE (non BMW)?
I'd say OE mixed with distilled...but first I'd say drain it, fill with just water, drive around a bit, let it cool down, and drain that...if it's dirty, rinse again...then do the final fill with new crush washer on engine block drain.

When you added coolant, did you have the heater turned on with the car off? If not, search my 'alternative bleeding' method posted around here.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use