E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
I have the same whistling issue - only happens at cold start-up. I am replacing all the intake rubber and the vacuum hoses on that side. I also have a chirp that is a tensioner - took my mechanic friend's advice and we are going to replace all of the tensioners, belts and pulleys at once.

I do not have any other symptoms of CCV other than a blown VCG. No undue vacuum/suction from oil ports. People on here have told me to go ahead and replace the CCV because that can cause whistling.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
jtshawtek

My Ride: 2001 330i
here is a link to what i am experiencing :

i was thinking of doing the same. replacing the boots on the intake side was a waste of money for me as the existing one was in okay shape. but for $20, whatever.

but for the rest, i think i am going to follow your same path. my car is old enough to where i think it is worth doing everything now anyways.

i am curious, are you getting the same noises?

Last edited by jtshawtek; 01-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.
jtshawtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
It sounds like a bad idler and/or tensioner pulley to me
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
bluejayranger

My Ride: '02 325i
Bro when was your water pump replaced? I'd take a look into it, same symptom and water pump failed...
bluejayranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #25
jtshawtek

never. easy diy?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
bluejayranger

I had mine replaced by a shop, since labor rates on military bases are ridiculously cheap. Anyone else care to chime in to help a bro out with an DIY?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
jtshawtek

Thanks man, I just found a great DIY here:

So you had a loud whistle like this one and is was just the water pump? Cool.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
bluejayranger

Mine only made that noise during acceleration, never during idle. Still Water pump failure=Serpentine belt snapped
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
dano17

My Ride: 2000 328i
I have a similar problem to all of this. I replaced the intake boots (which werent ripped) and I Still have this whistle. If I hold the rpm's around the 2500 range I can really hear the whistle, but my car doesnt warm up so it doesnt go away. I believe my T-stat is bad... and I dont know if my water pump has been replaced. But when I had someone hold the rpm's around 2500, it sounded more like a pulley problem.. Anyone have problems with their pulleys?

P.s. Im still relatively new to bmw's

Last edited by dano17; 01-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
dano17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
yikes, that is f'n horrible! definitely not the same noise as the intake boot whistle.

I've heard some people say that you can remove your belts and start the car briefly, when cold, but do NOT leave it running for risk of overheating and that way none of the pullies are involved, so if the sound goes away, it has to be your water pump, PS pump, alternator pulley, idler pulleys, etc. If you've ever removed a belt, this should be a quick, easy way to narrow it down
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
jtshawtek

Cool, thanks for that tip. I ordered the fan tool and should get it any day now. I will do what you suggest. It gets cold anyways here. So my AM start with no belts will not be an issue. The noise is immediate so I will not need to run the engine for more than 10 seconds. GREAT TIP. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
dano17

How in the hell do you get tension off the belt with the hydraulic belt tensioner? Every DIY I found has dead pics
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #33
xjbmx

My Ride: 325i/Cheerokee
Ok so new guy here, and granted I don't have a BM yet, so don't flame.

But, my Jeeps all have the same whistle when cold and being started. I know its a totally different animal And probably isn't made like this at all on a BM but, the way the IAC is in the TB caused it to whistle until the module moved once warmed up.

Like I said, this is probably wayyy of but just a bit of theory.

Last edited by xjbmx; 01-08-2013 at 10:55 PM.
xjbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
crapshooter

My Ride: 03 330i, 3 e24's,
faint whistle noise

Hey guys, I'm a rookie e46 owner, just bought a nice black/black '03 330i with 63k on the clock....super tight and clean! Car has a couple of minor things I'll need to take care of, such as the windshield cowl cracking - she also has a faint whistling or whining noise coming from somewhere under the hood, I was thinking at first it was characteristic of the 3.0, but now I'm not so sure after reading this thread. I'll pay attention to some of your replies and see if I can track down this noise.

Looks like I've found the right place for answers! Thanks.

Bob G
crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtshawtek View Post
I uploaded a video to YouTube of what the noise is from a COLD start. Car has been sitting for over 12 hours.
Thanks in advance for ANY feedback...
That sounds like a pulley to me.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano17 View Post
How in the hell do you get tension off the belt with the hydraulic belt tensioner? Every DIY I found has dead pics
See this.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtshawtek View Post
I totally am hearing the noise from there! And I DID put in an aftermarket alternator! Holy Crap! I am going to check it in the AM and listen closer to that area...I really did not enjoy that job I may be doing my alternator again....I totally tried to go cheap and get a rebuilt alternator....I am so sorry to my fellow fanatics, I deserve what I am getting for trying to go cheap....I think I saw a quote on here once that went something like "If you can't afford to maintain a BMW, then don't own one..." ....now I understand what that jerk meant...
The people who rebuild alternators use cheap Chinese bearings, rather than the F.A.G. or other high quality bearings that are in the original alternator. They are notorious for failing early, and making horrible noises.
I have an old alternator that I took apart to see how hard it is to rebuild, for a post I was going to write up. I got stuck trying to find a quality brand bearing to replace the ones that are in there. I can find plenty of Chinese made ones, but that defeats the purpose. I found one supplier of F.A.G. Bearings in the size needed, but there was a minimum order of 1000 units. Since I don't want to get into the alternator rebuilding business, I gave up. It is a shame too, because it is relatively easy to get these alternators apart, and if you do it before the bearing completely fails, the shafts are really durable, and seem to be in good shape.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #38
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Any update?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #39
dano17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
See this.
That's a manual tensioner. I has hydraulic.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #40
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano17 View Post
Put the hex socket into the center of the tensioner pulley and turn it clockwise. Use a long ratchet so you have some leverage.