E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
e60fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BY
Posts: 56
My Ride: 525i
Question M54B30 intake cam to exhaust side

Can I put M54B30 intake cam 240/9.7 mm to exhaust side instead of stock 244/9.0 mm? Lobes seems like to be identical but what about of swapping front of cams and lengths?

Last edited by e60fan; 07-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.
e60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
SK330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Everywhere USA
Posts: 473
My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60fan View Post
Can I put M54B30 intake cam 240/9.7 mm to exhaust side instead of stock 244/9.0 mm? Lobes seems like to be identical but what about of swapping front of cams and lengths?

There's a reason the 244 cam is the exhaust cam out if those two.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this? Please explain.
__________________

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
HakenTT
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: gross deutsches reich USA
Posts: 499
My Ride: 323i with S54
m54b30 cam specs are 240 9.7 intake and 225 9.0 exhaust. compression ratio is 10.2:1. You will not get more power with hotter cams with compression this low.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
SK330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Everywhere USA
Posts: 473
My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
m54b30 cam specs are 240 9.7 intake and 225 9.0 exhaust. compression ratio is 10.2:1. You will not get more power with hotter cams with compression this low.

I don't think this is correct.

The last time i looked this up, i remember the M54B30 as 240 intake and 244 exhaust.

Iceman00, i know you know this; would you care to comment?
__________________

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
e60fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BY
Posts: 56
My Ride: 525i
I have turbo. So I want to regrind one cam and place stock intake at the exhaust side.
e60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,962
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60fan View Post
I have turbo. So I want to regrind one cam and place stock intake at the exhaust side.
Even with a turbo, you want more duration on the exhaust, not less. And lift shouldn't be a deciding factor. Look at the Supra cams for 1000hp, lift is under 10mm.

I would put your effort into other areas.

Re-grinding cams is really tough, as the OEM cams are chill-cast, then tempered. If you were to re-grind, you would have to go through the heat treating again.

Would be much more cost effective to simply get ZHP cams.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
e60fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BY
Posts: 56
My Ride: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Even with a turbo, you want more duration on the exhaust, not less. And lift shouldn't be a deciding factor. Look at the Supra cams for 1000hp, lift is under 10mm.

I would put your effort into other areas.

Re-grinding cams is really tough, as the OEM cams are chill-cast, then tempered. If you were to re-grind, you would have to go through the heat treating again.

Would be much more cost effective to simply get ZHP cams.
Please take a look for CAT CAMS turbo conversion leader in turbo cams for BMW:
http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...AMSETUP_id=214

they have 258/247 10.0/9.4 mm and intake has more duration and lift than exhaust. Your thoughts?
e60fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use