E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Gator325

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
Long cranks on start????

Lately the 325 has been taking 3 or 4 seconds of cranking before the engine kicks on. I don't think its the battery because the radio, lights, etc., all works fine. And once the engine starts everything works as it should. Anyone else have this problem or know what it might be?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
bumere46

My Ride: E92
crank position sensor?
that was the problem with my friend's e30, can't speak for the E46.
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
My engine was cranking for an abnormally long time too (2-3 seconds) but only on the first start of the day. It would start fine after that, but then return to the long cranking on the first start the next day. Figured out that I wasn't giving the fuel pump enough time to prime the engine before trying to start. Try turning the key into accessory mode for about 5 seconds before you start the engine so the fuel pump can prime.

Please provide some more info on your problem

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPod touch using BimmerApp

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Gator325

Thanks for the response AD. I haven't been able to detect any pattern yet to it. Sometimes it does it and then other times it doesn't. I can leave it sitting for a few days and it starts right up and then other times I can try starting it after its only been sitting five minutes and it cranks for 4 seconds before it finally starts.

It's just really annoying more than anything else. I got in my car tonight after visiting a friend and it was cranking so long that he poked his head out the door thinking I was having car trouble. Is there a permanent solution whereby I can just turn the key and it will start immediately? Do I need a new fuel pump?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
So you're saying it takes a while to start after you've been driving during the day for a while. Honestly it sounds like a common camshaft sensor/crankshaft sensor problem.

My Mercedes had that problem. I would drive, then it wouldn't start for crap later on in the day. It would take about an hour or more of "cool down period" for it to turn on.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Gator325

What I'm saying is there is no pattern at all. Sometimes it will start right away after I've been driving around town all day, other times it won't. Sometimes it takes time to start if I've let it sit for a day or so, other times it starts right up. It's just whenever it feels like it, it acts up.

I'm just getting tired of people looking at me while my car takes 4 seconds to start. So I want to find out what is the likely cause of the problem and fix it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
5MT_E46

My Ride: 03 325i
You might have a bad fuel pump, Its fuel lost pressure, so it take you 3-5 second to start your car in the morning or when it sat for while.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
I'm not an expert (I'm sure you know none of us really are) but since it's an open discussion I'm just gonna throw it out there... could it be the fuel filter?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Gator325

How do you diagnose something like the fuel pump going bad?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
i doubt it's the fuel pump. you'll know its the fuel pump if your car dies out while running.

Honestly how is the maintenance on this car?

Have you cleaned your ICV? Do you run fuel injector cleaner? Throttle body clean? Spark plugs fresh (that can be a biggy), air filter?

I'd just give the engine bay a once over and check all the above is clean. Also yeah change your fuel filter. all those mentioned should be checked/cleaned/maintained regardless of whether or not they are causing the problem. If it fixes the problem, then I guess you have your answer.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It still could be the battery...that your lights and radio are on isn't the test for whether a battery is fully charged...but you've got that test built into your car...search cluster test and do it before you buy parts.

Fuel filter never a bad idea...always a good idea every 2-3 years anyway. Fuel pump could be getting tired, but a clogged filter would attenuate any weakness...but not sure this is a fuel problem at all yet.

Do cluster test and measure bat voltage off and on...sb approx 12 and 14...or just use multimeter and make sure bat cables are secure in trunk and under hood too (just heard that the positive under hood can lead to issues when it's loose.

...and it could be a sign that the starter is going wonky too...it happens...you don't want it to happen, but I've read of many starters being replaced here.

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
5MT_E46

My Ride: 03 325i
Bad fuel pump can lost fuel pressure over time. That is what happen on gf mazda 3.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
It's the starter. I had the exact same symptoms before my starter went.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
g6

My Ride: BMW
1-fuel filter/pump < i am putting my money on this and surpised more arent
2-battery (check voltage through your cluster its built into the car )
3-spark plugs air filter etc (good to do just anyways)

i am always surprised how on the forums when obvious fuel pump/filter symptoms show up how it doesnt jump out at people. i feel like people dont think much about the fuel pump or filter when they are a huge part of the car running. i did my pump and filter a while back just as preventative. the motor's entire existence relies on a high pressure fuel feed into the rail. why people dont think about this actively, i dont know. the fuel pump is a VERY easy DIY (20 min its under the back seat from inside the cabin of the car ) and the OEM part is like 150 off pelican. did mine just for fun. i am not planning on being stranded any time soon. a clogged filter is equally appalling.

Last edited by g6; 10-01-2010 at 09:21 PM.
g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
DiLiGenT

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
My engine was cranking for an abnormally long time too (2-3 seconds) but only on the first start of the day. It would start fine after that, but then return to the long cranking on the first start the next day. Figured out that I wasn't giving the fuel pump enough time to prime the engine before trying to start. Try turning the key into accessory mode for about 5 seconds before you start the engine so the fuel pump can prime.

Please provide some more info on your problem

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPod touch using BimmerApp
I had the same problem and I tried this, seems like it works it starts up fine now.
DiLiGenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I have this long crank problem at seemingly random times. Today I shut my car off after a 20 minute drive. Then, I came back and started it 20 minutes later. It took about 3-4 seconds to start. I have been letting the fuel pump prime the engine and it doesn't do it, but any time I don't do this, I'll get a long crank 50% of the time. Is there some sort of check valve in the fuel pump? I have replaced my filter recently. It did it before I replaced that too. My sparkplugs are new. My battery is a bit old, but the voltage is fine.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote