E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
gerlon two-fingers

My Ride: e46 325i
So i am a new owner and have a few questions.

Hello everybody, i just got a E46 325 sedan as my first car and so far am loving it. But i do have a few questions so if anybody could answer some of them that would be great.

First, there is a little black square on the back bumper that is missing, i have no idea what it is for or how to go about figuring that out and getting a new one.

Second, Texas no longer requires a front license plate so i do not have one. But now the trim is odd looking considering there is a place for the license plate to go. i am wondering if there is a way to change that.

Thirdly, whoever had my car previously had a habit of scraping the bottom of the front bumper when parking and is a little torn up. But a little plastic disc is hanging down and im not sure what it is.

Fourthly, the windshield washer does not work, the fluid is full but the washer does not actually work, i am assuming it is a pump failure but i want to know if there is a easy way to fix it myself.

If there is any general wisdom that anybody has to spread or suggested things i should do to my car it would be highly appreciated, thanks!
gerlon two-fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Little black square covers the tow hook. You can buy one from your dealer or online but you'll need to get it painted. Make sure you order it for the correct bumper.

To get rid of the front plate holder you need what's called a "license plate delete strip". Search for it you can buy it online.

Your washer fluid probably isn't working because the pump is done. Someone recently posted where to get one for like $7. Search for that. Should be an easy DIY

Not sure what the plastic disk is without seeing pictures. The best way to know would be to jack up your car and look. Should be pretty obviously once you're under there.
Maybe a screw is missing and you can replace it with zip ties or another screw.
Don't use the emergency jack to hold the car up. Either put it on ramps or use proper jack stands.

Good luck!
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
peytonracer4

Another possibility with your washer fluid not working is your stalk could be not connected properly. If there's obvious signs that the steering wheel has been replaced or that area has been worked on that might be the culprit. If not, it's most likely the pump or a bad connection to the pump. For $7 though, you can't really go wrong replacing the pump
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
GLOK1132

My Ride: 2002 325i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

Read all of it.
GLOK1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
NewDriver

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Little black square covers the tow hook. You can buy one from your dealer or online but you'll need to get it painted. Make sure you order it for the correct bumper.

To get rid of the front plate holder you need what's called a "license plate delete strip". Search for it you can buy it online.

Your washer fluid probably isn't working because the pump is done. Someone recently posted where to get one for like $7. Search for that. Should be an easy DIY

Not sure what the plastic disk is without seeing pictures. The best way to know would be to jack up your car and look. Should be pretty obviously once you're under there.
Maybe a screw is missing and you can replace it with zip ties or another screw.
Don't use the emergency jack to hold the car up. Either put it on ramps or use proper jack stands.

Good luck!
Hi, I'm a new owner of E46 too and trying to understand and learn my car as much as possible including accidents: three accidents in three months . Well done, isn't it! You are mentioning not to use the emergency jack. Do you mean the one which comes with a car? I'm planning to lift my car with that jack to reinstall the wheel cover plastic lining, which got off when my bumper cover came off during the third accident. So far I'm driving without the bumper cover and the wheel cover, but I want to put the wheel cover back ASAP as this week is rainy and I'm afraid not to get to much water into the engine compartment due to rotating wheel.
Thank you.
NewDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Welcome gerlon! And newdriver: Yes, "emergency jack" is the one in the trunk. Only for roadside wheel changes; use a real one for servicing (and add jackstands when going under your car). Also, calling the inner fender/fender liner a "wheel cover" will yield search results about hubcaps.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
NewDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Welcome gerlon! And newdriver: Yes, "emergency jack" is the one in the trunk. Only for roadside wheel changes; use a real one for servicing (and add jackstands when going under your car). Also, calling the inner fender/fender liner a "wheel cover" will yield search results about hubcaps.
Thank you for information. I appreciate it. One more thing, I don't know how it is called the part beneath headlights. I'm attaching the pic of my car after accident for your reference. I cannot search it for purchase as I don;t know what to type in the search field .
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
gerlon two-fingers

My Ride: e46 325i
It has been awhile but i figured out the hanging thing is the temperature sensor
gerlon two-fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
The trim part under the headlights goes by several different names; according to realoem.com it is the "cover, primed, left" and "cover, primed, right." Part Nos. 51-13-7-043-409 and 51-13-7-043-410.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...67&hg=51&fg=20
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDriver View Post
Hi, I'm a new owner of E46 too and trying to understand and learn my car as much as possible including accidents: three accidents in three months . Well done, isn't it! You are mentioning not to use the emergency jack. Do you mean the one which comes with a car? I'm planning to lift my car with that jack to reinstall the wheel cover plastic lining, which got off when my bumper cover came off during the third accident. So far I'm driving without the bumper cover and the wheel cover, but I want to put the wheel cover back ASAP as this week is rainy and I'm afraid not to get to much water into the engine compartment due to rotating wheel.
Thank you.
yes i'm talking about that jack. the one that came with the car. do not keep your car lifted for an extended time (longer than a couple minutes) or get under the car when it's being lifted by that jack.
go to your auto parts store and buy a pair of jack stands and use them. they are 100 times safer and should be about $20 for a cheap pair.

the emergency jack is help up by a plastic piece and is known to have dropped a few bmws in it's time

Quote:
Thank you for information. I appreciate it. One more thing, I don't know how it is called the part beneath headlights. I'm attaching the pic of my car after accident for your reference. I cannot search it for purchase as I don;t know what to type in the search field .
i would simply call it the under headlight trim piece.
i believe another member provided the part number for you. good luck

btw the jack stands you'll want to buy look like these.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
NewDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
The trim part under the headlights goes by several different names; according to realoem.com it is the "cover, primed, left" and "cover, primed, right." Part Nos. 51-13-7-043-409 and 51-13-7-043-410.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...67&hg=51&fg=20
Thanks a lot.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
NewDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
yes i'm talking about that jack. the one that came with the car. do not keep your car lifted for an extended time (longer than a couple minutes) or get under the car when it's being lifted by that jack.
go to your auto parts store and buy a pair of jack stands and use them. they are 100 times safer and should be about $20 for a cheap pair.

the emergency jack is help up by a plastic piece and is known to have dropped a few bmws in it's time

i would simply call it the under headlight trim piece.
i believe another member provided the part number for you. good luck

btw the jack stands you'll want to buy look like these.
Thank you very much.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
NewDriver

Guys, I have one more question which I asked in other thread about headlights and noone has responded yet. While working on headlights (have to glue broken hinges) do I have to unplug positive/negative terminals of the battery?

Thank you.

Tamar
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Guys, I have one more question which I asked in other thread about headlights and noone has responded yet. While working on headlights (have to glue broken hinges) do I have to unplug positive/negative terminals of the battery?

Thank you.

Tamar
I wouldn't worry about that. Maybe unplug the ballast if they are xenon though so you don't get 28,000 volts that somehow stayed in the electronics. That's not too bad though since it's low amperage. It'll be much less than a tazer if anything.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
NewDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. Maybe unplug the ballast if they are xenon though so you don't get 28,000 volts that somehow stayed in the electronics. That's not too bad though since it's low amperage. It'll be much less than a tazer if anything.
Thank you. Appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:

Thank you.

Tamar
SAFETY ALERT!

Do not disconnect the Positive battery terminal, disconnect the Negative terminal instead.

If you are disconnecting the positive terminal AND manage to touch metal, you will turn your tool into an arc welder. The damage is mostly cosmetic to the car, and sometimes fatal to yoru tools, but is entirely avoidable if you disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal instead. Always disconnect Negative first, and reconnect it last.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Welcome, new member. See sig, read. Do the cooling system immediately. The single most important thing you can do for your car.

It's great that my thread is referenced in the Wiki!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
NewDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
SAFETY ALERT!

Do not disconnect the Positive battery terminal, disconnect the Negative terminal instead.

If you are disconnecting the positive terminal AND manage to touch metal, you will turn your tool into an arc welder. The damage is mostly cosmetic to the car, and sometimes fatal to yoru tools, but is entirely avoidable if you disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal instead. Always disconnect Negative first, and reconnect it last.
Thank you for the safety tip. It's very important to know it, thanks! But I don't need to disconnect it at all while working with headlights, do I? I just need to remove headlights, glue those four hinges holding headlights on the body of a car and instal it back.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
I almost lost both of my hands to that stupid jack. No lie. The thing collapsed sideways while changing a tire and if it had happened about 10 seconds sooner, I'd be a double amputee. Luckily the removed wheel was still in the wheel well and caught the car preventing an ugly and costly hard landing on the brakes. Thinking about the incident still makes my stomach turn.. Never ever trust that thing.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesenberg View Post
I almost lost both of my hands to that stupid jack. No lie. The thing collapsed sideways while changing a tire and if it had happened about 10 seconds sooner, I'd be a double amputee. Luckily the removed wheel was still in the wheel well and caught the car preventing an ugly and costly hard landing on the brakes. Thinking about the incident still makes my stomach turn.. Never ever trust that thing.
Yeah i would not trust that thing. this probably happens to more people than we think except they just don't post due to lack of hands.