E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #81
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Awesome.

I'm going to acquire tuberculosis.....
fingers crossed






















































mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #82
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
You most certainly are. You are a threat to others health bills if you don't have health insurance. People that pay end up paying for those that don't or cant. Hell, the reason your insurance and the insurance you provide for your employees is so high is because of the 15.7% of uninsured people racking up health related bills.
That is not the same argument. What you are talking about is a completely different issue, and is indeed the problem. Taxpayers should not foot the bill. Much like car accidents, if you can't pay, the taxpayers don't pay for you. You will owe for the rest of your life. That knowledge is enough for 99% of people to get insurance, with or without a mandate. To solve the health insurance problem, don't force it upon people, force the consequences. If you don't have insurance, you owe the money, and like student loans, the costs are non dischargable. That would be a fair apples to apples comparison.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #83
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Awesome.

I'm going to acquire tuberculosis and come to your house & cough on you.
Epic fail on your part. I never said HEALTH (or a disease in your poor example) is not a threat to others...I said lack of health INSURANCe is not a threat to others.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Next we are going to make universities free to attend...with entrance exams in place though. Much like some countries in Europe.
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #85
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,386
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Next we are going to make universities free to attend...with entrance exams in place though. Much like some countries in Europe.
Yes... "Free".
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #86
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Next we are going to make universities free to attend...with entrance exams in place though. Much like some countries in Europe.
An education system like Europe, especially Germany's wouldn't be such a bad thing. Though tax rates would certainly be higher. You ever wonder why gas, sales tax, and owning a car in Europe is so much more expensive than in the US?

Changing America's priorities and investing in education and infrastructure would be good, but it comes with a cost and the rhetoric from political parties. Taxes would go up, which many Americans and politicians would oppose, and we would have to cut Defense spending which would be unpopular as well since it's a huge industry.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #87
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Epic fail on your part. I never said HEALTH (or a disease in your poor example) is not a threat to others...I said lack of health INSURANCe is not a threat to others.
OK.

My TB will be untreated because I don't have healthcare.

*cough*
__________________

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #88
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
OK.

My TB will be untreated because I don't have healthcare.

*cough*
There are plenty of people running around uninsured spreading HIV. Personal responsibility FTW.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #89
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
*cough*
__________________

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #90
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
An education system like Europe, especially Germany's wouldn't be such a bad thing. Though tax rates would certainly be higher. You ever wonder why gas, sales tax, and owning a car in Europe is so much more expensive than in the US?

Changing America's priorities and investing in education and infrastructure would be good, but it comes with a cost and the rhetoric from political parties. Taxes would go up, which many Americans and politicians would oppose, and we would have to cut Defense spending which would be unpopular as well since it's a huge industry.
From my understanding, Germany allows universities to decide whether or not they want to impose tuition fees. There is limit to which they cannot exceed set forth by the government correct?

If this is the case, does the government still tax at a higher rate? Or do they have models to predict what some universities will charge vs some universities that will give free tuition and then of course the number of students attending both types? That way they can predict what is a fair tax rate based on governmental assistance that some universities would require and/or need.
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #91
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Yes... "Free".
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #92
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
From my understanding, Germany allows universities to decide whether or not they want to impose tuition fees. There is limit to which they cannot exceed set forth by the government correct?

If this is the case, does the government still tax at a higher rate? Or do they have models to predict what some universities will charge vs some universities that will give free tuition and then of course the number of students attending both types? That way they can predict what is a fair tax rate based on governmental assistance that some universities would require and/or need.
I have no idea, and those are good questions. What I do know, after having lived there and talking to friends there, most schooling is free and there is probably a difference between public and private institutions, similar to what we have here. That said, Germany's taxes are high which goes to pay for the social services (education, healthcare, UE benefits, the elderly, etc) and solid infrastructure (autobahn, great roads, trains, buses) the country provides for its citizens.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #93
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
I have no idea, and those are good questions. What I do know, after having lived there and talking to friends there, most schooling is free and there is probably a difference between public and private institutions, similar to what we have here. That said, Germany's taxes are high which goes to pay for the social services (education, healthcare, UE benefits, the elderly, etc) and solid infrastructure (autobahn, great roads, trains, buses) the country provides for its citizens.
interesting. very insighftul
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #94
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
No one is bringing up Germany's gestapo like work requirements. You can't sit on your a$$ in Germany collecting government cheese. When you have a society like that, you can afford to do what they do.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #95
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
No one is bringing up Germany's gestapo like work requirements. You can't sit on your a$$ in Germany collecting government cheese. When you have a society like that, you can afford to do what they do.
Gestapo like work requirements?

Germans, culturally, pride themselves on their strong work ethic. Nothing wrong with that. They have a strong industrial base, and compared to the rest of Europe, a stronger economy.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #96
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,891
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Gestapo like work requirements?

Germans, culturally, pride themselves on their strong work ethic. Nothing wrong with that. They have a strong industrial base, and compared to the rest of Europe, a stronger economy.
Agreed. Germans place emphasis on blue collar jobs and attending vocational schools unlike the U.S. Everyone here pushes college on young people and the gargantuan debt that comes with. Add in the agony if you can't find a legitimate job.
__________________
Quote:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #97
joeski3d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
That is not the same argument. What you are talking about is a completely different issue, and is indeed the problem. Taxpayers should not foot the bill. Much like car accidents, if you can't pay, the taxpayers don't pay for you. You will owe for the rest of your life. That knowledge is enough for 99% of people to get insurance, with or without a mandate. To solve the health insurance problem, don't force it upon people, force the consequences. If you don't have insurance, you owe the money, and like student loans, the costs are non dischargable. That would be a fair apples to apples comparison.
I disagree with you. It is the same argument. You need insurance in the likely event that something rather expensive will happen to one's car/health. The only difference is a car is a luxury. Health is not. Knowledge of pending bills isn't enough to get, as you say, 99% of people in compliance. The law and the penalties for noncompliance is what makes that percentage. If car insurance companies think you're too much of a risk they don't have to cover you. Same goes for health insurance... and this is where the biggest problem is. Generally the people with the biggest health issues can't get coverage because it's a losing financial proposition for the free market. So who then get's the bill? The person that needs serious medical attention that most likely can't work? The hospitals can't turn that person away but the insurance companies can. And they do. BIG PROBLEM.
__________________

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 11-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #98
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
@ Gestapo like work requirements. They get better benefits and more time off than Americans. When their recession got bad, they paid a bunch of people to go to school while things are bad because they knew they will want them back when things get better. Six weeks of paid vacation per year. Meanwhile, the average American gets 14 days a year, uses only 12 and a quarter of Americans get no vacation time at all.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #99
nuc1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 64
My Ride: money hole
LOL.

The owner of the company does what he wants, when he wants to, within the confines of the law.

You boycott him and his company. Per your rights and/or leanings.

Everyone is happy.

Welcome to America.

/thread

Mike
__________________
Want nitrous? Talk to the Wizard of Nos. http://www.noswizard.com/
nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #100
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
You don't get to /thread, Mike! Welcome to America.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use