E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Was your shark injector purchase worth it?

So I'm going to be ordering mostly maintenance parts from Turner for my mostly stock M3. I'm going to grab a rear strut bar also. I'm wondering if anyone had any noticeable gains with the Shark Injector for the $350 price tag. TIA
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
yagesz

My Ride: 05 M3 SG/IR
Stay away. Save your $350 for something else.

2005 Space Grey M3 w/ Imola Red Interior 6MT

My Build:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934353
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i heard evolve is a better tune than shark. and for optimal performance with a tune you usually have to couple it with a downpipe. so keep that in mind.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Jtrem

My Ride: '05 e46 M3 6spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
i heard evolve is a better tune than shark. and for optimal performance with a tune you usually have to couple it with a downpipe. so keep that in mind.
Evolve is the best for street driven M3's. Just Evolve is $800 bucks for a tune alone.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrem View Post
Evolve is the best for street driven M3's. Just Evolve is $800 bucks for a tune alone.
i figure, if youre going to get something, why go halfway? save for a month or 2 more and go all out.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
Quote:
i heard evolve is a better tune than shark. and for optimal performance with a tune you usually have to couple it with HEADERS. so keep that in mind.

fixed!

Shark is a waste of money. ESS tune is good, and priced between the 2.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Jtrem

My Ride: '05 e46 M3 6spd.
Quote:
i figure, if youre going to get something, why go halfway? save for a month or 2 more and go all out.
If you have headers. Well worth it. I plan on going with it to tie my mods together soon.

But, Just saying for someone with a stock car $800 for just a tune isnt going to net much in terms of gains.

Headers alone would be a better option than just a tune.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
gimmethemuumuu

My Ride: '08 M3 Sdn, '07 328T
Agreed. Based on M3F reading: Shark is poop. Evolve tune is the way to go. The reviews even indicate that there are plenty of benefits even without headers, etc. I plan on getting the tune myself as soon as I can scare up the funds.
gimmethemuumuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
There's nothing wrong with the Shark software. The reason there is so much negativity is because people apparently are willing to spend double the money for a more aggressive custom tune and that makes Shark "poop". Shark is conservative, yet still serves a purpose as an off the shelf generic tune. The only time you may run into an issue is because it is a generic tune and not tailored to your specific car. This is the same thing that Dinan does (although it's possible maybe just as well or better).

Shark
-Generic tune that is setup to do it's best across thousands of cars (no two engines are the same).
-Typically does what it says and will provide cheap thrills
-Limited modification support and power increase

Evolve
-To date, the best custom car specific tuning service
-Full modification support with optimal gains
-Exceptional Customer Service
-Double the Shark price
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
gimmethemuumuu

My Ride: '08 M3 Sdn, '07 328T
My response was not based on personal experience on the M3. I haven't installed the Shark software on this platform. I did have it on my '02 325i. It wasn't bad for what it was.

However, I stand by my observations. Most people on this forum and M3Forum say not to waste your money on the Shark software for the M3. By contrast, reviews for the Evolve tune are _very_ positive. In fact, the Evolve tune offers a money-back guarantee. Personally, I think that's a pretty cool thing. It is more expensive but most people would say it's well worth it.

Last edited by gimmethemuumuu; 09-20-2012 at 11:59 PM.
gimmethemuumuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
ModBargains II
Sponsor

My Ride: Evo 8GSR
Send a message via AIM to ModBargains II
Based on many customer reviews the ESS tuning software does tend to be a bigger crowd please because of its aggressive maps . For those looking to do a more conservative tune and on a budget I would suggest you go with the shark injector performance programmer.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Tuning | Avant Garde Wheels | VMR Wheels | BMW Headlights | Alufelgen Wheels
Sales
| Gilbert@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8004
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-7:00pm | Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
ModBargains II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
I want to see dyno tests done on with and without the shark injector just to end the wide spread debate, I'll search around and see if I turn anything up. They seem to claim 8-10 whp gains and if that is true -- I'd buy it.

Last edited by mvs2; 09-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Wadia

My Ride: 05 M3 VERT/SMG
I bought the Shark and am very happy with the results! I found the Shark worked wonders with the AFE intake and would do it again for the money spent. Is there better? For sure, but I did it myself, and was very surprised and happy with the sound and performance. Good luck Dennis
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
vonbimmer

My Ride: 01' E46 M3
When I bought my M it had the shark race tune. It ran pretty well but was tough to drive as the throttle wasn't very linear. Fast forward to last week. I purchased the Evolve tune with specs to support my headers and race cats. I have to say that not only is the tune easier to drive due to a mor linear throttle, it makes more power everywhere. As folks have mentioned the customer service is excellent. Kudos to Sal and Jamie!
vonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Interesting thread. Seems like evolve is the way to go.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
Doesn't the shark injector make your throttle the same as driving in sport mode? I read that somewhere, not exactly good for the ol mpg if that is the case.
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
InZain08

My Ride: 330ci
I sharked my car today and I did feel improvement in terms of power and response. Simple installation procedure. The power band is much smoother and seems to be "readily available" now. It isn't a significant or dramatic increase over stock software but the difference is there for sure. Honestly it is rather difficult to justify spending $300-$400 on this but if you are looking to conservatively modify your car and avoid a 1-2 week downtime shark is the way to go.

Although I've not had a custom tune for my car I can genuinely say that I'm very pleased with the results from the shark but the pricing is questionable.
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs2 View Post
Doesn't the shark injector make your throttle the same as driving in sport mode? I read that somewhere, not exactly good for the ol mpg if that is the case.
No, no no...that's not what it does. Although it does have the option to be ordered a few different ways, like for 93 octane and not 91. Also what you may be mistaken thinking is that it can be ordered so that the Sport button doesn't have to be pressed again every time you shut down the car. It will keep it pressed on until you press the button off. Same for the DSC button if you special order it that way.

As mentioned, Shark isn't as aggressive as some. But it's benefits are in the fuel/throttle mapping and ease of install and removal if desired.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
These ecus are tuned to the maximum anyway. Don't waste money on tunes.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
These ecus are tuned to the maximum anyway. Don't waste money on tunes.
Sorry no, that is incorrect.