E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
jporter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Unhappy Power steering pump gone?

Hi guys,

I've got a problem. I think it's the power steering pump but I'm not sure. I don't think the rod is broken because sometimes it steers fine? Is this maybe a failing pump? It happens since last week, all of a sudden I heard a *CRACK* and a weird sound and I was afraid the belt had snapped... But after I while the power steering was back and the noise gone. But now it happens again.

What I have done:
- Checked E46fanatic
- Checked youtube and found some videos that have the same sound, they say they had to replace power steering pump.
- Checked ATF fluid level. That looks OK.
- Checked ATF fluid while running the car, it didn't move so maybe that means there is no flow/pressure?

I have made a video, maybe you can assist in identifying the problem?

Last edited by jporter; 11-11-2012 at 09:51 AM.
jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
jporter

noone?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
Hi guys,

I've got a problem. I think it's the power steering pump but I'm not sure. I don't think the rod is broken because sometimes it steers fine? Is this maybe a failing pump? It happens since last week, all of a sudden I heard a *CRACK* and a weird sound and I was afraid the belt had snapped... But after I while the power steering was back and the noise gone. But now it happens again.

What I have done:
- Checked E46fanatic
- Checked youtube and found some videos that have the same sound, they say they had to replace power steering pump.
- Checked ATF fluid level. That looks OK.
- Checked ATF fluid while running the car, it didn't move so maybe that means there is no flow/pressure?

I have made a video, maybe you can assist in identifying the problem?
The way to check if you have flow is to extract the ATF fluid from the reservoir until you can just see the opening at the bottom and then get someone to move the steering between full locks. If you have flow you will see it at the bottom of the reservoir. You can't really tell by just looking at the full pot. If you don't have flow then you have a busted shaft and you will need to replace the pump. Check the vid.

RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
jporter

Thanks for your reply!

So I'll have to syphon some fluid out, no idea hoe I am going to do that hmm

Btw, if the shaft is busted, wouldn't it be that the power steering never works? Today it worked a few times thats why i am asking.

Can I drive with the car in this condition or will i brake something? Think I'll make another repair appointment then
Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
RayPooley

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

So I'll have to syphon some fluid out, no idea hoe I am going to do that hmm

Btw, if the shaft is busted, wouldn't it be that the power steering never works? Today it worked a few times thats why i am asking.

Can I drive with the car in this condition or will i brake something? Think I'll make another repair appointment then
Swipe your old lady's turkey baster and just suck that crap outa there dude.
Swipe a glass while you are at it to put the stuff in. Just stick them in the kitchen sink when you finish. Tell her its blackcurrent cordial and it tastes like sh*t.

If the shaft is busted then it wouldn't work. But maybe it just catches a bit once in a while. I don't think its advisable to drive it if it is busted.
As you see in the vid its only the tension and alignment of the belt that stops the shaft coming out and pissing fluid all over the place including
your belts. Still. The first thing to do is check its busted. Right?

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
jporter

Ok I called my local indie mechanic, they said come by end of business and we'll have a look if it is the power steering and what it's gonna cost you. I've spend almost 2500 euro in the last 3 months over there so I told him that I want a good price and he agreed :p

So I have a 330i built in 2000/07. I guess I have the LUK20 steering pump?

I want to renew the whole power steering, that is a good idea right? Pump + hoses/clamps + ATF tank?
I searched on realoem and found the LUK30 as this part number: 32416756582

A few questions:
- I should use the LUK30 instead of LUK20?
- Can someone give me the part numbers for the hoses/clamps of the LUK30? I think they differ from LUK20 as said in the video...

Regards,
Jaimy

Last edited by jporter; 11-12-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
RayPooley

Quote:
Ok I called my local indie mechanic, they said come by end of business and we'll have a look if it is the power steering and what it's gonna cost you. I've spend almost 2500 euro in the last 3 months over there so I told him that I want a good price and he agreed :p

So I have a 330i built in 2000/07. I guess I have the LUK20 steering pump?

I want to renew the whole power steering, that is a good idea right? Pump + hoses/clamps + ATF tank?
I searched on realoem and found the LUK30 as this part number: 32416756582

A few questions:
- I should use the LUK30 instead of LUK20?
- Can someone give me the part numbers for the hoses/clamps of the LUK30? I think they differ from LUK20 as said in the video...

Regards,
Jaimy
Absolutely the LUK30. Listen to the guy in the vid. The LUK20 is teh one prone to shearing. If they try to flog you the LUK20 its old stock. Don't accept it. Place an order if necessary.

Check this out.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...58&hg=32&fg=20

This is for my car. M54 320i European LH drive 2003.

Go to the home page and select your car. There should be a simlar page to the above containing the parts for your car. you will find them down the Steering/Lubrication route.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
jporter

Ray, I'm about to come over to Liverpool and kiss you, thanks a lot mate
I'll make sure it's a LUK30! I can order it online (taxes included) for 243 euro, so if my mechanic will go above that I'm gonna order it online instead and let them build it in.
And I'll have a look at the hoses etc. I'm going to print it all out so when I get there I can confront them with it!

Great help RayPooley, thanks thanks thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
jporter

Ok so I just visited my mechanic... and ofcourse the power steering 'worked' and didn't make the insane noise anyway I showed him the youtube video. We had a look in the ATF reservoir and he said that the ATF in the reservoir smelled very burned which I can confirm, it did... also the color was very brownish.

So what he did was syphon the old stuff out and he got a jerrycan which said ATF D2. Now I don't know everything but I think that is ATF Dexron II ? I recall people here putting Dexron 3 or 4 in? Is D2 bad? I asked him if that stuff should go in there and he said yeah it's no problem.

He told me to wiggle the steering all the way right and left for 2 minutes so the ATF would go through the whole system so I did that. I didn't have to pay for the ATF so I'm happy about that.

We had a look at the power steering pumps and basically the LUK it didn't say 20 or 30 was 350 euros and some Spidal rebuild pump was 240 euros
On the internet I can get the good LUK30 for 240 euros and I don't want no rebuild nonesense. He didn't seem to eager for me to order the parts instead of him. Not sure what to do... Don't think I can tackle the job myself.

Last edited by jporter; 11-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
RayPooley

Quote:
Ok so I just visited my mechanic... and ofcourse the power steering 'worked' and didn't make the insane noise anyway I showed him the youtube video. We had a look in the ATF reservoir and he said that the ATF in the reservoir smelled very burned which I can confirm, it did... also the color was very brownish.

So what he did was syphon the old stuff out and he got a jerrycan which said ATF D2. Now I don't know everything but I think that is ATF Dexron II ? I recall people here putting Dexron 3 or 4 in? Is D2 bad? I asked him if that stuff should go in there and he said yeah it's no problem.

He told me to wiggle the steering all the way right and left for 2 minutes so the ATF would go through the whole system so I did that. I didn't have to pay for the ATF so I'm happy about that.

We had a look at the power steering pumps and basically the LUK it didn't say 20 or 30 was 350 euros and some Spidal rebuild pump was 240 euros
On the internet I can get the good LUK30 for 240 euros and I don't want no rebuild nonesense. He didn't seem to eager for me to order the parts instead of him. Not sure what to do... Don't think I can tackle the job myself.
I don't see anything in what you have written that concludes in a a diagnosis. What did he say the problem was? If you don't NEED a pump (ie: if its not broken) then don't replace it. Brownish smelly fluid isn't a good sign that's true. Could it have gotten air into the system? Could the belt be worn and slipping and making an "insane" chattering noise? The pully attached to teh pump? You need a firm diagnosis of what the problem is before you can work out the solution. Is there flow through the reservoir? Yes or no. If there is then its not the pump. Diagnose the problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
jporter

I told him if he syphoned some ATF out of the reservoir we could see if there is pressure at the bottom. He did that and we saw a LITTLE bit of movement. That was with the steer at idle, no wiggling. I could see the filter and at the sides there was a little bit of movementlike every 2 seconds or so. I said yeah I see movement and he said, yeah but not much...
The belt has been replaced last year november. And if the belt wasn't good wouldn't that mean it will always make the sound?
They didn't look at the pump itself, in other words, the car was not on the bridge.

This friday the car will be going to a BMW dealership for a thorough check of subframe and wintercheck. I'll ask the mechanic over there what he thinks. For now I'll see how the power steering reacts on the new ATF.

Last edited by jporter; 11-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
RayPooley

Quote:
I told him if he syphoned some ATF out of the reservoir we could see if there is pressure at the bottom. He did that and we saw a LITTLE bit of movement. That was with the steer at idle, no wiggling. I could see the filter and at the sides there was a little bit of movementlike every 2 seconds or so. I said yeah I see movement and he said, yeah but not much...
The belt has been replaced last year november. And if the belt wasn't good wouldn't that mean it will always make the sound?
They didn't look at the pump itself, in other words, the car was not on the bridge.

This friday the car will be going to a BMW dealership for a thorough check of subframe and wintercheck. I'll ask the mechanic over there what he thinks. For now I'll see how the power steering reacts on the new ATF.
I am a little bit concerned that you had to tell the mechanic about syphoning out the fluid to check for flow. I would expect any mechanic to know that without being told. Nevertheless. Brown fluid. ATF does break down after a while and brown is the colour of tired fluid. Should be red. Flushing and replacement is normally enough to sort that out. If there is movement of any kind without moving the steering wheel then your pump shaft isn't broken. Its not like a clutch that can slip. Its a rigid shaft with a vane at one end and a pulley at the other. So it either works or it doesn't. Belt slippage? New belt? Ok. The tension on the belt is important in achieving the right amount of traction between the belt and the pulleys in order to avoid slipping, and screeching, under load. The tension is maintained by a tensioner pulley that pushes up on the lower span of the belt. If that was bouncy, weak, porrly adjusted or whatever, it might be leading to intermittent slippage. That would cause the "insane" noise and the intermittent loss of turning power. Check the belt tensioner. Early ones are sprung. Later ones are hydraulic. That could be your problem. So it might be a matter of a new tensioner and a fluid replacement. The wrench is on the tensioner in the pic below. BTW. Buy your own parts. That way you know what you are getting. I have never allowed a garage to buy parts for my car. I always buy them myself and supply them to the garage. It also has the additional advantage of building up a relationship between you and your trusted parts supplier.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential...terpump_04.jpg

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.