E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
OHP

My Ride: 2003 325i
Window Reg Zip Tie Fix Tripped Air Bag Light

I just completed the zip tie fix on the driver window regulator and it worked perfect. I of course unplugged the air bag a couple of times to position the window, test it, etc. I made sure to unplug the battery each time before unplugging the air bag. The last time, after I got the door completely bag together of course, the air bag light tripped and is staying on. I know I have to get the reset tool to get it to go out. Anybody know why this might have happened? I guarantee I never unplugged the bag before disconnecting the negative battery cable.
OHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
The pins in the connector to the airbag most likely. Read the code and let us know what it says.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHP View Post
I just completed the zip tie fix on the driver window regulator and it worked perfect. I of course unplugged the air bag a couple of times to position the window, test it, etc. I made sure to unplug the battery each time before unplugging the air bag. The last time, after I got the door completely bag together of course, the air bag light tripped and is staying on. I know I have to get the reset tool to get it to go out. Anybody know why this might have happened? I guarantee I never unplugged the bag before disconnecting the negative battery cable.
If you turned the key to RUN (Position II) with the airbag removed, this is what tripped the light.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
OHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
If you turned the key to RUN (Position II) with the airbag removed, this is what tripped the light.
I was very careful not to do that.
Gonna have my shop reset it in the morn and see what's up. I'll post back if it's useful info.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
OHP

Turns out my shop does not have the tool to reset the light. I'm thinking about buying the tool and doing it myself. Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic tool that can reset the airbag light and CEL lights? If I'm going to spend the money on it, I might as well get one that can do both.
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
$32 for BMW Scanner 1.4.0 from www.xcar360.com. Takes about 2 weeks to get here from China.

If you are willing to pay more, check ebay and you will likely find people in the US that have them for around $50-$60.

If you tested the window at all with the airbag disconnected, then this is how the light was triggered, however, you could have a seat sensor that is broken as well??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 10-31-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Fixed hyperlink
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
jfoj, that site is no good, maybe it is me, but I have tried on different systems and browser and it says server cannot be found.
Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
OHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
$32 for BMW Scanner 1.4.0 from www.xcr360.com. Takes about 2 weeks to get here from China.

If you are willing to pay more, check ebay and you will likely find people in the US that have them for around $50-$60.

If you tested the window at all with the airbag disconnected, then this is how the light was triggered, however, you could have a seat sensor that is broken as well??
The battery was never reconnected with the bag unplugged.

I have looked at those tools on ebay. I'm looking for something that will do the bag light and cel's in one tool for future use. There are a few ebay chinese one's that claim they will do both but I'm skeptical. Anybody know anything about these?

I just talked to a local shop that want's $80 to reset and read the code. For that price I'm definitely going to buy one.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
The battery was never reconnected with the bag unplugged.

I have looked at those tools on ebay. I'm looking for something that will do the bag light and cel's in one tool for future use. There are a few ebay chinese one's that claim they will do both but I'm skeptical. Anybody know anything about these?

I just talked to a local shop that want's $80 to reset and read the code. For that price I'm definitely going to buy one.
Bought my pa soft 1.4 from e-bay. Works as advertised. It also enabled me to turn on the remote window up and down feature.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
fernando629

My Ride: 325Xi 2001
http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html
fernando629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
OHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando629 View Post
That looks great but I only have a W7 64bit laptop and a MacBook, neither of which the software will run on. I also didn't see in the description that it will reset airbag light. I may have missed it though.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
joegr

Quote:
That looks great but I only have a W7 64bit laptop and a MacBook, neither of which the software will run on. I also didn't see in the description that it will reset airbag light. I may have missed it though.
This site does have a search feature.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...pa+soft+64+bit

And, it does reset the SRS (airbag) light.

Last edited by joegr; 10-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
You can run it on a W7 laptop, 64bit. I have this setup, and found some information, including driver download. I think the PA Soft thread in general has a link somewhere on installing on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

I have had zero issues on my laptop since install.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
joegr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
... I think the PA Soft thread in general has a link somewhere on installing on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

I have had zero issues on my laptop since install.
You mean the link posted above?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Yes, missed that. That is the link, within the thread there is a link to instruction for windows 7 64 bit.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
OHP

Awesome info. Will by ordering the unit tonight.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
OHP

I thought I would post a follow up to my airbag light issue. I ordered the PA software from a seller on eBay. It took a couple of weeks to get here, not bad from China. I installed it on an old XP laptop my Dad had and plugged it into the car. I ran the scan and a bunch of random codes came up. The airbag code showed low resistance on the driver side airbag. I would guess that when I put the door back together I did not fasten the airbag plug securely which of course tripped the light when I turned the key on. The PA software worked perfectly and the light reset and didn't come back on.

Thanks for the help and the great info on the forum.