E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Turner Motorsport takes home GS and GT class victories at COTA

Turner Motorsport No. 96 BMW M3 historic Victory at Circuit of the Americas

Almost 2 years to the day the Turner Motorsport duo, Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana, captured their second double victory in Grand-Am competition. In 2011 the duo won both the GS class and GT classes at Miami Homestead Speedway. This past weekend the pair experienced a bit of déjà vu as they drove their Turner BMW M3s to class victories in both inaugural races at the highly acclaimed Circuit of the Americas. This victory marks only the third time in Grand-Am history that two drivers won both GT and GS races on the same day.

In the Saturday morning Continental Challenge race Auberlen and Dalla Lana, in the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3, won for the first time together in 2013. Auberlen held off a hard-charging Spencer Pumpelly to win in the Turner M3, with the pair changing the lead twice in the final seven minutes. Pumpelly closed to within four-tenths of a second with one lap remaining. Auberlen then was able to take advantage of lapped traffic in Turn 1 to pull away and win by 3.804 seconds.

Turner girls at COTA

Bill Auberlen explained, "We tested here in December and that definitely paid off in spades. This place is pretty hard to get your arms around, and we came up with an unusual setup. It's like a road course setup on one side, and an oval track setup on the other. We definitely had an advantage. It was great racing with Spencer (Pumpelly). We were back and forth for the lead at one point, but then Spencer got caught up in traffic and that allowed me to pull away."

In Saturday afternoon's Rolex GT race Auberlen and Dalla Lana came from almost two laps down after an early spin. With Auberlen behind the wheel, and some awesome pit strategy calls by Don Salama, the No. 94 charged to the front of the GT field, passing Andy Lally in the No. 44 Porsche with only seven minutes remaining. The No. 63 Ferrari saw the checkered flag first in the GT class but was assessed a stop- and-go plus 60-second penalty for avoidable contact with Lally with less than 10 minutes left in the race.

"The Ferrari and Andy were battling out up front. I put my head down and pushed. I didn't see what happened with Andy and the Ferrari, but it slowed Lally down and he came back to me. I had a move ready and I put it into action. It got tight ! It was a great win for Turner. This team is good enough to win races, so there's no reason we shouldn't try to win everything we get our hands on," Auberlen said.

Turner Motorsport M3 race car

The No. 93 M3, driven by Michael Marsal and Gunter Schaldach finished P8, they ran as high as 4th with impressive stints by both Marsal and Schaldach, allowing the pair to secure a strong top-ten finish to mark their first race together.

Team owner Will Turner said, "What a weekend. I never imagined winning both classes again. When we race our goal is always to go for the win, but I didn't see these wins coming. I knew our cars would be strong , I saw that when we tested here, but I thought that in GS the Porsches had us covered. In GT the 63 Ferrari's penalty is really what gave us the win – Wins are tough to get so we will take them anyway we can."

The GRAND-AM of The Americas presented by GAINSCO and TOTAL for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge will air at 4 p.m. March 9 on SPEED. Watch for the Turner Motorsport M3s in the next round of Grand-Am competition from Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama on April 6th.

Photo Credit Halston Pitman/MotorsportMedia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turner Motorsports BMW E92 M3 Circuit of the Americas Friday 06.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	493796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turner Motorsports BMW E92 M3 Circuit of the Americas Friday 05.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	493797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turner Motorsports BMW E92 M3 Circuit of the Americas Friday 20.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	493798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turner Motorsports BMW E92 M3 Circuit of the Americas Saturday 03.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	493799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turner Motorsports BMW E92 M3 Circuit of the Americas Saturday 09.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	493800  
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
mko9

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
I couldn't believe the way the TV coverage completely blew off the GT finish. The DP leaders went by the Turner #94 about 2/3 through the final lap, so the GT finish was only a few seconds later. How hard would it have been to slew the camera??

EDIT: Also, congratulations

'04 BMW 330i ZHP
'08 Audi TT Roadster
'13 Land Rover LR4

Last edited by mko9; 03-05-2013 at 08:45 PM.
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bill auberlen, bmw, bmw forum, bmw news, bmw racing, bmw racing news, cota, e92 m3, gs class, gt class, m3 racing, paul dalla lana, turner motorsport, will turner