E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
JJR Food Thread

Haven't done this in a while.... crap!

Hmmmm I need to dig up some old pics

Roasted rainbow carrots with black garlic, made this a while ago

Here we have a smoked/seared Porterhouse, pretty sure this is 4lb

Smoked bone-in Ribeye, look at the color difference with the other steaks

The next pics have terrible lighting, cell phone camera, but this was a guys dinner I did several months ago, one of the best dinners i've cooked

1st course

Pan roasted chilean sea bass over a fennel and radish salad with a lemon vinaigrette. The sea bass got a little chewed up during cooking because my brothers "non-stick" pan was..... beyond recognition.

2nd course

Lobster Risotto, risotto cooked with saffron, lemon peel, and chives as well. pics may look deceiving but that is a half tail from a 3lb lobster. Underneath there was as much lobster as there was risotto.

3rd course

Roasted duck leg over navy beans braised with pancetta. This dish was just ridiculously amazing, super happy with the way this came out.

4th course

NY Strip with sweet potato puree, roasted shitake mushrooms, pickled radish, and a black walnut bordelaise. Dish came out a little sloppy but it was getting cold quick so I needed to hurry up.

Strip steak and roasted beet salad with goat cheese crumbles

Nothing wrong with a little smoked brisket yea?

Homemade string bean salad... just a touch of some good red wine vinegar and olive oil, could eat it every day

Crispy skin King Salmon, by far the easiest thing to make

This may not look too appetizing but its absolutely delicious and healthy. Ground chicken and lean beef cooked with a little indian flare served on top of Boston lettuce. Cooked up some onions, tomatoes, and garlic, then added... idk... cumin, garam something, curry powder, turmeric, etc, something else i can't pronounce, and ended up with this

And thats it for now
Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Damn, Iron Chef.

Present
2011 BMW 335d - die kohle rollen
Past
2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

1-22-2015 2-45-09 PM
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Very impressive dude. Definitely next league from where you were just a few years ago. The steaks and your technique on them are of interest me, I haven't seen that technique before... care to go into more detail for the start/finish process?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-03-2015 at 11:04 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
JJR4884

Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Very impressive dude. Definitely next league from where you were just a few years ago. The steaks and your technique on them are of interest me, I haven't seen that technique before... care to go into more detail for the start/finish process?
Thanks man, i've been trying to step up my finesse with some of the dishes I've been making.

For those steaks, super simple.

1. Indirect heat with all natural lump charcoal, anywhere around 180-200 degrees is good. Smoke for an hour or so, until you reach an internal temp of 115. 110 for steaks that aren't Flinstone size. (cold steaks will take the smoke flavor better, no need to bring them to room temp, fridge to smoker)

2. Take it off, dry it, season with salt, and let it sit for 10 min or so.

3. I have an offset smoker, so, i move the charcoal from the side box to the actual grill itself (I made a mesh metal box that holds the charcoal) which.. is simple, just gotta pick the little box full of hot charcoal and put it in the actual grill par.

4. Sear that sucker, charcoal should be about an inch away from the grates.

Since the internal temp is already 110-115... it won't take too long until it is up to a perfect med rare. The best part it, the steak doesn't have to rest for too long. Few minutes and its good to do.

Use fatty cuts. Bone in strips and ribeyes work best. The charcoal will overwhelm the flavor of a filet unless you only cook it over charcoal and you don't smoke it.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

Filet is for noobs. I only cook bone in ribeyes or porters when doing things like this. Appreciate the recipe, will give it a shot in the coming weekend. like I said before, nothing can get a chick like a man that can cook.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
, nothing can keep a chick like a man that can cook.

Ftfy.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
JJR4884

Quote:
Filet is for noobs. I only cook bone in ribeyes or porters when doing things like this. Appreciate the recipe, will give it a shot in the coming weekend. like I said before, nothing can get a chick like a man that can cook.
You will definitely love it... i will warn you tho, after an hour under smoke, you will have an intense flavor, its delicious

I'll cook filets every once in a while if i'm having a lean day... usaully thats a quick sear in a pan though.

Hmmmm lets see, whats next. I wish I had a video of the brisket I made where I separated the point from the fat with two fingers

Maybe a carbonara or al'matriciana next
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
Damn, how does one get an invite to those dinner parties?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Gotta be a member of the foodie club.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Pay for the wine LOL

Quote:
Gotta be a member of the foodie club.
This as well!

Did you try that reverse sear/smoke on that steak yet?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Pay for the wine LOL

This as well!

Did you try that reverse sear/smoke on that steak yet?
No, that's gonna be a while. I started lifting again (the wife too) so we eat very clean 5 days a week) and cheat on weekends, and it's been carb heaven cheating....pasta, pizza, etc. I'll have to make the steak sometime soon though. Plus we keep having guests every weekend and serving that will get a bit expensive
Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Pay for the wine LOL
Done, when am I supposed to get there?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Wait, for the smoked brisket how'd you get the center to be cooked and the outside rare like that?
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
Wait, for the smoked brisket how'd you get the center to be cooked and the outside rare like that?
I cooked it in a reverse microwave

kidding. the ring around the edge of the brisket is the "smoke ring"
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Damn, all of those look amazing. Wicked smoke ring.

My latest food adventure was cooking up a bunch of t-bones at my law partner's 2,000 acre cattle ranch. Cooked to that "rare plus" you describe above. Ate outside on the patio 50 feet from where the steaks' brothers and sisters were grazing. Wish I'd taken pictures of the food, but that was about as "local" as it gets.

also: I've been a slave to my instant read thermometer when it comes to meat for a long time now . . . but I've finally figured out how to get steaks cooked right every time. Let them get up to room temp before cooking. Then high heat to get some sear on them - 1 min or so per side. Then off to medium heat. Then the moment they start building some resistance to a poke with a spatula, take off to rest. That point where it goes from raw to having a bit of resistance is right around 120-122 degrees and is the perfect rare side of medium rare.

Last edited by brew; 07-01-2015 at 03:01 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #17
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:

Only steak I'll cook / order at restaurant is a bone in rib eye.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
JJR4884

So decided at the market I wanted to make something different today, however... this typical dish would have needed overnight prepping (soaking beans and brining chicken)

Smoked chicken (shredded) and mixed with pancetta-rosemary braised navy beans. Took 3 hours. By far the easiest and tastiest dish I've made in a long time. Literally decided at the market today to do this, so don't criticize the lack of prep work.

Chicken on the smoker, unseasoned, unbrined, nothing but a sprinkle of spice rub. Smoked for 2.5 hours (boneless skinless chicken breast)

I put everything in a large non-stick pot as it was ready

2 thick slices of pancetta, cubed
3 mixed color carrots, diced
1 celery stalk sliced fine
2 small yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves sliced

Browned in the pot, rinsed the beans, yep... no soaking needed, added the beans once everything in the pot was nicely browned, added 1.5 cups of beef broth, 5 cups of water, and 4 rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil then simmer and leave the lid a little bit open, stir often, keep a simmer for about 2 hours and your beans will be almost cooked, most liquid should be gone by this time. Took the chicken off the smoker and shredded it with a hand mixer. Yes, the same mixer you'd use to mix cake batter. Works amazing.

Mixed the chicken in, added more stock/water as I saw fit, and viola. Pics look crappy but its delicious.

Few take aways- Definitely would have picked up chicken that was not skinless, also would have brined overnight obviously. Had about 5lb of chicken (to 1lb of beans) and I think the perfect ratio would have been one less piece of chicken. Oh well, I was going for a heavy protein dish anyways. Next time, cubing the pancetta bigger

Beans braising

Chicken mixed in