E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Tu MaDRe

My Ride: 3 series
Think I got water in my coil pack

Excuse me if my title or I'm in the wrong section to post this thread but I did a quickkkkk little 2 second rinse (literary) from left to right probably less than 2 seconds in my engine bay. I dry the entire bay down after my half @$$ wash. I noticed my check engine soon light comes on soon as I started the car, so I decide to make a nearby pit stop to the smog shop since I was in the process of getting my vehicle smogged. The tech recommended I take the coil pack out and put them right back in. If all 6 coils are out? Can I just air hose all 6 cylinders and then put the car back together, hopefully my troubles go away from a follow up on a DIY SPARK PLUG page.

Could I get some advice ?

Thanks
Tu MaDRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
mkodama

The check engine light could be anything down to a loose gas cap. Get the codes read first so you know what the problem even is.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Tu MaDRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
The check engine light could be anything down to a loose gas cap. Get the codes read first so you know what the problem even is.
Dammmmn...

I would like to buy a scanner sometime down the road but what are some good scanners?

Would o'rileys or auto zone would be eligible to help me out with that?

I'd figure it would be that lil water I sprayed. My 323i didn't have no lights on the cluster. Since past Saturday 11/10 when I just bought the vehicle over the weekend.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
eBay OBD-II USB scanner with TIS

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
you need to have the code read. Unless I am missing something, hosing down your engine shouldnt have too much impact on your coils/plugs. 1. they are under a shroud, 2. the coil packs themselves are sealed and 3. the coils cover the sparkplug wells in a way that would prevent any water getting in.

go to autozone or AAP and ask them to read the codes.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu MaDRe View Post
Dammmmn...

I would like to buy a scanner sometime down the road but what are some good scanners?

Would o'rileys or auto zone would be eligible to help me out with that?

I'd figure it would be that lil water I sprayed. My 323i didn't have no lights on the cluster. Since past Saturday 11/10 when I just bought the vehicle over the weekend.
Yes, most autoparts stores will give you a code readout for free or a small price. Some stores that don't have a scanner or limited staff will say they aren't able to.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Highly doubt water had any role here

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
It could be your secondary air pump. When moisture gets into it, sometimes it can throw a code because of some sensor in there or something. Have it read. There could be something completely unrelated causing the code. Like an O2 sensor.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Tu MaDRe

Thank you everybody for the help. This forum is more helpful then those Honda forums. I don't want to go back to Acura/Honda, ever lol well maybe a future 2nd commuter but I like my 323i. So I went to miadas and I think he said the code came up as 1423, forums say its called p1423 secondary system or something like that. I think he cleared it and my check engine soon light hasn't came back on (yet). I pray it doesnt. I was just looking into that secondary system and I can recall that side maybe have gotten a lil more water on that side. Im going to see if the car can pass smog tomorrow.

I tried to get gas today and my gas lid wouldn't pop open at all. I was trying to get it open without scratches. How can I fix that problem? I don't like post new threads on common issues that probably been ask many times before.