E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Talking Apple's 'Rubber Banding' Patent Key to Samsung Lawsuit Invalidated

Quote:
FOSS Patents reports on a new court filing from Samsung revealing that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued a preliminary decision ruling that Apple's "rubber banding" patent that was a key part of the $1 billion lawsuit against Samsung has been invalidated. While numerous other reviews and appeals will undoubtedly take place in the coming months, the preliminary ruling is certainly a blow to Apple's cases against Samsung and others.

"In a non-final Office action the USPTO has declared all 20 claims of Apple's rubber-banding patent (U.S. Patent No, 7,469,381 invalid, including claim 19, which Apple successfully asserted against Samsung in the summer trial in California. In fact, claim 19 is one of several claims to be deemed invalid for two reasons, either one of which would be sufficient on its own."

The report notes that the rejection could influence Judge Lucy Koh to at least partially rule in favor of Samsung's requests that the jury's verdict be overturned by the court as having been improperly issued.

The patent rejection comes after an anonymous third party challenged the validity of the patent earlier this year, requesting a reexamination by the patent office. The rubber banding patent covers the ability for iOS content to "bounce back" when a user has scrolled to the top or bottom of a given page. The feature provides an aesthetically pleasing means of alerting the user that they have reached the end of the content rather than simply stopping abruptly, but the USPTO has now ruled that the feature does not qualify as novel in light of prior art on the matter. That prior art includes not only a European patent from AOL but also a previous Apple patent.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/...y-invalidated/

karma is a b!tch, sometimes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Suckers, Apple Will do anything to get money.

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Suckers, Apple Will do anything to get money.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
I think these patent lawsuits are getting out of hand. The only things they are doing is slowing down innovations, and limiting choices by consumers. Seriously, Apple had patented rounded corners. My LG flip phone had rounded corners in 2002

Last edited by vilseck21; 10-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Wozniak predicted that the ruling wouldn't stand. I believe him. Judge Koh just had a previous ruling for Apple against samsung reversed and remanded. (the Galaxy Nexus ban).

Things are looking dimmer for Apple's litigation machine.

The rubber banding patent was pretty laughable anyways

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member

apple has always operated this way, read about the deep inner workings of a company that was pulled from the depths of defeat by ruthless tactics ........yeah, it's a business

i choose to take mine anywhere else

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 10-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
E46330iguy

Round corners? Really? Pretty much every phone has round corners, Apple is cleary trying to snuff out the other phone companies, Next the will be trying to patent on flat screens

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
vilseck21

Apple had no problem ripping of Xerox UI and mouse for the Macintosh, but try to sue when some one uses rounded corners. Steve Jobs was one of the most horrible people that ever lived, and yes he is right up there with Stalin and Hitler.

Last edited by vilseck21; 10-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
Apple had no problem ripping of Xerox UI and mouse for rhw Macentosh, but try to sue when some one uses rounded corners. Stve Jobs was one of the most horrible people that ever lived, and yes he is right up there with Stalin and Hitler.
and there ya have it, i'm not the only one with the comparison

Quote:
Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Suckers, ANY COMPANY IN THE WORLD Will do anything to get money.
Fixed. People only hate on the ones that rise to the top, but don't kid yourselves: ALL companies are like that. Jobs wasn't the only corporate Hitler out there. They're ALL like that.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Good. I like that feature and don't think it should be limited to only one company.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
Quote:
Apple had no problem ripping of Xerox UI and mouse for rhw Macentosh
"The idea that Apple stole Xerox’s mouse invention is totally wrong on all counts. This basic scenario is also true for many other Mac technologies seen at PARC.
Of course, some things the Apple engineers saw were in fact invented by Xerox, including bitmapping and Ethernet. But the biggest thing Apple got out of the visit was the big-picture vision of how a networked graphical personal computer and printers might function. The second thing was a whole lot of pointers and shortcuts to the solution to problems solved by PARC researchers.
But here’s the most important fact: Nothing was “stolen.”
Whatever Apple got from those three days was bought and paid for as part of a fair, legal, above-the-table business deal between Xerox and Apple.
At the time, Apple was still a year away from its IPO. Everybody wanted in. Apple was the hottest of hot companies. So Xerox and Apple made a deal: Apple would be granted 3 days of access to PARC in exchange for Xerox being allowed to buy 100,000 shares of Apple stock for $10 per share.
Apple went public a year later, and the value of that stock had grown to $17.6 million. Xerox paid a million for the shares, so essentially Apple paid Xerox $16.6 million for showing its research to Jobs and his team.
This monetization of PARC research was vastly higher than Xerox’s Star, which lost a lot of money.
(Also: My back-of-the-envelope calculation, factoring in a stock split, is that those shares would today be worth about $324 million.)"

http://www.cultofmac.com/126863/in-d...of-steve-jobs/
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
vilseck21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
"The idea that Apple stole Xerox’s mouse invention is totally wrong on all counts. This basic scenario is also true for many other Mac technologies seen at PARC.
Of course, some things the Apple engineers saw were in fact invented by Xerox, including bitmapping and Ethernet. But the biggest thing Apple got out of the visit was the big-picture vision of how a networked graphical personal computer and printers might function. The second thing was a whole lot of pointers and shortcuts to the solution to problems solved by PARC researchers.
But here’s the most important fact: Nothing was “stolen.”
Whatever Apple got from those three days was bought and paid for as part of a fair, legal, above-the-table business deal between Xerox and Apple.
At the time, Apple was still a year away from its IPO. Everybody wanted in. Apple was the hottest of hot companies. So Xerox and Apple made a deal: Apple would be granted 3 days of access to PARC in exchange for Xerox being allowed to buy 100,000 shares of Apple stock for $10 per share.
Apple went public a year later, and the value of that stock had grown to $17.6 million. Xerox paid a million for the shares, so essentially Apple paid Xerox $16.6 million for showing its research to Jobs and his team.
This monetization of PARC research was vastly higher than Xerox’s Star, which lost a lot of money.
(Also: My back-of-the-envelope calculation, factoring in a stock split, is that those shares would today be worth about $324 million.)"

http://www.cultofmac.com/126863/in-d...of-steve-jobs/
Okay, I can buy that, but how do you explain apples patenting of " rounded corners"
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
Quote:
Okay, I can buy that, but how do you explain apples patenting of " rounded corners"
I can't. I'm not defending Apple.
Just stating the facts about a common myth (about the Apple/PARC deal) that gets thrown around when fanboys go to war.

(Not calling you a fanboy.)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
It's really the patent office's fault for handing out patents for even the most generic of features.

Nonetheless, I will never own an apple product. The reasons are numerous. The fact that they put form over function couldn't be any further from my personal philosophy. The financial end of things bothers me too. There is very little value for the dollar vs. competitive products, and I don't like the way that apple finds a way to keep you continually paying them. Why are so few macs used in business? Because the only thing it accomplishes is increasing your company's hardware costs by 25%.

And finally I hate the whole apple culture. They are a group of people who tend to think of themselves as far more intelligent than the average person, BUT they will wait outside of a store for a product for days, they believe everything that the company tells them as gospel, regardless of the reality. The 'amazing iphone' ? really, I guess that I'm not that easily amazed.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
It's really the patent office's fault for handing out patents for even the most generic of features.
This.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
vilseck21

Quote:

Nonetheless, I will never own an apple product. The reasons are numerous. The fact that they put form over function couldn't be any further from my personal philosophy. The financial end of things bothers me too. There is very little value for the dollar vs. competitive products, and I don't like the way that apple finds a way to keep you continually paying them. Why are so few macs used in business? Because the only thing it accomplishes is increasing your company's hardware costs by 25%.

And finally I hate the whole apple culture. They are a group of people who tend to think of themselves as far more intelligent than the average person, BUT they will wait outside of a store for a product for days, they believe everything that the company tells them as gospel, regardless of the reality. The 'amazing iphone' ? really, I guess that I'm not that easily amazed.
They call it the Jesus phone
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
E46330iguy

Quote:

:tha nks:

Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:

While I am not an Apple fan (actually, not really a fan of anything; I have zero brand loyalty), I am going to have to disagree on this. While they certainly advertise their looks, one of the reasons why they sell so many of their products is because of user-friendliness. The interface is very polished in look and feel, and while there is a learning curve, once you learn how to use one Apple product, it doesn't take much effort to pick up on another (you don't have to "un-learn" anything). Even when I plug my iPod into my PC, using iTunes and transferring files is relatively seamless. The fact that you can buy an iPod and not worry if it will work with your Macbook or not is, I say, a pretty good indication that they thought about function as well.

Now, if you want to talk about form, we can discuss how they "stole" Braun's designs from the 1960s (yet you don't hear Braun/Dieter Rams crying out about it), but that's a totally different discussion for another thread and I'm really not all that interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote