E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
There is a good middle ground b/w Mango and doing nothing.

I am an extreme moderate. I believe all those not in favor of moderation ought to be hanged.

My strategy of waiting for a mild issue and then replacing everything that's convenient while I'm there works fairly well if you're not made of money.
If you are not made of money you are looking for an attempt, at least, at a diagnosis and "replace everything" is not what I would describe as an attempt at diagnosis. It might work ok if you live in your own bubble, money is no object and you have nothing better to do with your time than pull your car apart for no reason. Most people don't live that way.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Its ok. I don't have any infectious diseases!!!!
It'll filter out any infectious diseases anyway. That's reasonable logic, right?

Right?!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
If you are not made of money you are looking for an attempt, at least, at a diagnosis and "replace everything" is not what I would describe as an attempt at diagnosis. It might work ok if you live in your own bubble, money is no object and you have nothing better to do with your time than pull your car apart for no reason.
you won't have a need to diagnose if you maintain your car proactively versus repairing it reactively.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
So all in all I reckon that takes your IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT PM strategy firmly by the throat and gives it one straight up the backside. Its nonsense.
Your Englishness amuses me.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
you won't have a need to diagnose if you maintain your car proactively versus repairing it reactively.
Taking that to its logical conclusion, you could replace your entire car with a new one every month. Do you think you would never suffer a break down? New cars break down every day.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I use my stuff 'til it shows signs of failure, or when the manual says to change it. That's what they're designed to do. My car is a car, it's not an airplane in which PM is absolutely essential for the safety of everyone on it.

Except the ET, that catastrophically blows up. I changed that already.

Last edited by Zell; 11-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
It is a good idea to replace the fuel filter as a PM, but not absolute necessity. There are million more things in our cars that requires absolute attention than the fuel filter. Expansion tank anyone?

I replaced mine at 150k a couple of weeks ago(as a PM), I dont know when it was changed last time. I presume it never. Got sprayed on the face with pressurized petrol. No harm done though. Just ended up smelling like petrol for an hour till I took a shower and prayed no one comes near me smoking a cigarette.

I didnt hacksaw the old filter or anything, but the fuel that came out of it was indeed dark.
I'd say absolutely do it, if you are noticing any fuel starvation issues or smelling petrol around your car. DO change the little rubber hoses and the clamps as well.

However, if you are not noticing any issues, then you can let it be. Take care of your bald tires and brakes. Those save lives, not fuel filter.

I am not a firm believer of fix it when it breaks neither do "replace it all" (sorry mango), but I do tend to replace stuff that I suspect are broken.

PS: I was expecting some gain in throttle response and a significant gain in MPG. Alas, I didnt notice any increase in gas mileage after I replaced it with a brand new one. In fact, I noticed my MPG went down by about a mile per gallon. May be its because of the winter blend fuel, but nothing changed in my car except for mpgs.

I guess you can even get away with washing the fuel filter with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner properly. But who is going to do that? If I am getting under the car to change the filter, I will replace it and be done with it. No way I am going to clean it and put it back. I dont even know what material is there inside the fuel filter as filter substance. If its a metal mesh of some sort, you can certainly clean it.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Im all for sensible (ie not all) preventive and reg maint. As a result Im enjoying driving my trouble free driving machine.

OP the paper element inside your old fuel filter dried up and expanded that is why there's restriction. It's like soaking plywood and drying it. It expands.

I bet if you pull your *new* fuel filter and let it completely dry, you'll get restriction just like the old fuel filter.

So advice on filters: Once wet, keep them wet if you happen to pull them out for some/any car work you're doing.

Last edited by Hoebama; 11-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Hoebama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Taking that to its logical conclusion, you could replace your entire car with a new one every month. Do you think you would never suffer a break down? New cars break down every day.
People also get hit by cars while crossing the street every day. Everything happens every day.

However, you can take steps to reduce risk of failure. You can abuse your car if you want to. Nobody is stopping you!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
RayPooley

Quote:
People also get hit by cars while crossing the street every day. Everything happens every day.

However, you can take steps to reduce risk of failure. You can abuse your car if you want to. Nobody is stopping you!
Abuse. You are a lost cause man. Frankly, I would be surprised if your car ever broke down. Not necessarily because you change the parts unnecessarily. It probably never goes anywhere. It must be forever in pieces.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Abuse. You are a lost cause man. Frankly, I would be surprised if your car ever broke down. Not necessarily because you change the parts unnecessarily. It probably never goes anywhere. It must be forever in pieces.
It's ok. You signed up months ago. You'll learn a thing or two about these cars if you stick around long enough.

And no, I live in Los Angeles. Driving/car culture capital of the world. I've put well over 250,000 driving miles on my recent BMWs including lots of heavy canyon driving. Never a single breakdown, failure, or check engine light.

I've seen your shining of the mango light brightly in the sky and have came to your assistance because I know you can use it. Here to help, ol' chap!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #32
WDE46
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
It's ok. You signed up months ago. You'll learn a thing or two about these cars if you stick around long enough.

And no, I live in Los Angeles. Driving/car culture capital of the world. I've put well over 250,000 driving miles on my recent BMWs including lots of heavy canyon driving. Never a single breakdown, failure, or check engine light.

I've seen your shining of the mango light brightly in the sky and have came to your assistance because I know you can use it. Here to help, ol' chap!
You've also put $10,000 into your current E46, so you aren't an expert on spending wisely on the car. You are an expert on the car, but not on spending, that's all. I cannot and will never spend that much on my E46.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You've also put $10,000 into your current E46, so you aren't an expert on spending wisely on the car. You are an expert on the car, but not on spending, that's all. I cannot and will never spend that much on my E46.
Not an expert on spending? lol you're late to the game. Prior to E46Mango, nobody (maybe 1 or 2) knew about BMAparts.com. everyone was foolishly spending at ecstuning and other vendors and knocking down bmaparts every time i mentioned them years ago.

now everybody and their MOM shops at bmaparts. i mean EVERYONE.

believe me if anybody knows insider information on how to get great deals, it's ME. all my stuff is bought with connections at various BMW dealers (cost) and cheap cheap vendors that only I found.

The cost figure on my car that is estimated IS WITH THE BEST PRICES IN MIND.

If shopping where everybody else shopped, I probably would have spent close to $15,000 maybe $20,000. That's not including labor. I already did the math. With dealer prices on parts and labor, easily close to 100k!

Please don't pretend to know me based on your months here. If there's an efficient/excellent way of doing things, I've found it or was one of the first to find it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
If there's an efficient/excellent way of doing things, I've found it or was one of the first to find it.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
WDE46

Finding a site that thousands of other people knew about before you does not make you an expert on spending wisely and neither does getting good deals. I could buy all new appliances on Black Friday and get great deals, but that doesn't mean I needed them or that I spent my money wisely. I think you know what I'm getting at, but I know you'll keep stepping around the issue. What you do with your money is your business. If you want to buy your car twice, then that's fine. It's just not worth it for other people. The shotgun approach is very effective, but it is not economical or very efficient.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Finding a site that thousands of other people knew about before you does not make you an expert on spending wisely and neither does getting good deals. I could buy all new appliances on Black Friday and get great deals, but that doesn't mean I needed them or that I spent my money wisely. I think you know what I'm getting at, but I know you'll keep stepping around the issue. What you do with your money is your business. If you want to buy your car twice, then that's fine. It's just not worth it for other people. The shotgun approach is very effective, but it is not economical or very efficient.
Like I said, I've personally helped thousands of members here save BIG on parts. You don't understand Los Angeles. BMAparts and other companies like WorldPac primarily cater to Los Angeles independent mechanics. They are not a BMW vendor by any means. Their online store was little to NOT KNOWN AT ALL prior to me hammering every thread on here two to three years ago (long before you were ever a member) the only other member here who I can confirm that knew about BMA parts is Alex323ci. I'm sure he's been shopping there longer than me, but he or nobody else ever hammered the forum with it to help people save money. Now it comes up in every thread.

There's no "issue" to step around. I have never recommended to anyone to do exactly the things I do to my car. Otherwise there'd be another car like mine floating around--and there isn't. (There's only one or two cars on here I can really admire)

What I recommend is only 50% of what I do to my own car. The rest of the stuff I do goes beyond maintenance and is just a hobby/obsession. You think you know the whole story behind the advice I offer and why I offer it but you don't. Pay a little more attention.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

If you still disagree, cite a specific example. I'm ready.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #38
WDE46

Quote:
Like I said, I've personally helped thousands of members here save BIG on parts. You don't understand Los Angeles. BMAparts and other companies like WorldPac primarily cater to Los Angeles independent mechanics. They are not a BMW vendor by any means. Their online store was little to NOT KNOWN AT ALL prior to me hammering every thread on here two to three years ago (long before you were ever a member) the only other member here who I can confirm that knew about BMA parts is Alex323ci. I'm sure he's been shopping there longer than me, but he or nobody else ever hammered the forum with it to help people save money. Now it comes up in every thread.

There's no "issue" to step around. I have never recommended to anyone to do exactly the things I do to my car. Otherwise there'd be another car like mine floating around--and there isn't. (There's only one or two cars on here I can really admire)

What I recommend is only 50% of what I do to my own car. The rest of the stuff I do goes beyond maintenance and is just a hobby/obsession. You think you know the whole story behind the advice I offer and why I offer it but you don't. Pay a little more attention.
I have been paying attention. I have said this before. I respect your knowledge and experience with these cars. I don't need an example. Most of the time when you say something like "see my sig. do it all" or "see JFOJ sig, do it all" it's a bit too much for people. You say that instead of trouble shooting down to the $100 part. You want them to spend $600 for a whole new cooling system, when they just asked for help finding the cause of a problem. You don't do it every time, just sometimes.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I have been paying attention. I have said this before. I respect your knowledge and experience with these cars. I don't need an example. Most of the time when you say something like "see my sig. do it all" or "see JFOJ sig, do it all" it's a bit too much for people. You say that instead of trouble shooting down to the $100 part. You want them to spend $600 for a whole new cooling system, when they just asked for help finding the cause of a problem. You don't do it every time, just sometimes.
Yes and I will never deviate from that. My advice is based on experience from personally handling close to 100 BMWs. You goof around and try to nitpick your way through ownership and maintenance instead of doing it right and bad things happen.

That's why we see the threads we do on a daily basis.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
WDE46

Quote:
Yes and I will never deviate from that. My advice is based on experience from personally handling close to 100 BMWs. You goof around and try to nitpick your way through ownership and maintenance instead of doing it right and bad things happen.

That's why we see the threads we do on a daily basis.
No I don't goof around. I do what needs doing. We see the threads we do on a daily basis primarily because people don't use google/search button. Also we see them because people don't want to just replace every part on the car even minutely related to their problem. They want to fix the problem at hand and get out for as little money as possible and get on with their lives. If someone asks how to solve a problem, I am going to try to solve THAT problem, not several others that are not related or don't exist yet. I might make them aware of the other issues and if they want to do those too, then great.

Like I said, your knowledge and experience is great, but sometimes the shotgun approach overwhelms some of the newer owners. That's all I'm trying to get at.