E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
doms_330ci

My Ride: Bmw 2201 330ci
330ci burning oil

I have a 330ci that burns alot of oil almost a quart per 1000 miles what could this be? Could i need new compression and oil scraping rings because oil is passing through into the cylinder and burning? I also have some white smoke coming out of my exhaust? How can i fix this and is it harmful for the engine?
doms_330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Most likely the oil separator.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
330ci burning oil

Pull the DISA valve and check the inside of the intake manifold. If it's coated with oil your ccv (aka oil separator) is shot. How many miles on the car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Burning oil is not necessarily harmful for the engine but running low on oil is. Fix any leaks, replace the ccv. if you still consume oil (99% chance you will) then just live with it or pony up and take a chance.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doms_330ci View Post
I have a 330ci that burns alot of oil almost a quart per 1000 miles what could this be? Could i need new compression and oil scraping rings because oil is passing through into the cylinder and burning? I also have some white smoke coming out of my exhaust? How can i fix this and is it harmful for the engine?
Does the oil you use meet spec? 5W30 syn is NOT a valid response
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
inebriation

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Check the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and the CCV
inebriation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
doms_330ci

My Ride: Bmw 2201 330ci
Ok I will check it out thank you for the replies I will let you know what happen.
doms_330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
CCV-valve seals/guides-oil rings.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
xDLXSFx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Im still having fun with this issue.

*Note any leaks to pin-point areas to check* (Oil filter housing, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Feed Line, etc)

Check the easy sh*t first - test your PCV/CCV by turning on car and with it running take off your oil fill cap (on top of engine cover) and if struggles to stay alive or bogs down a lot, then your PCV/CCV could be one of the culprits; most likely clogged.

Check around the Valve cover gasket and replace if needed.

Now as for internals of oil consumption; I was told two things: if you drive mostly city (stop, go, stop go) and are using most your oil then it could be the valve guide seals. If youre driving mostly highway miles and losing most your oil then it could be the piston rings. That is the trickiest one to figure out for me.

Oil consumption can be not soo good in the loooong run; but running out oil in your engine will eat it ALIVE! So keep up on it! In looong run, your o2 sensors and catalytic converter can suffer from damage of oil.

Goodluck with this; Im having fun with it still!
xDLXSFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
markusmarkus

330ci burning oil

I'm having a problem accepting the validity of the oil filler cap test. Why? I performed this on my 2001 330Ci (106k miles), and it passed. However, when I replaced the ccv (the car was using oil) the hose from the ccv to the dipstick was bone dry and the inside of the intake manifold looked like a Texas oil field! Obviously the ccv was kaput but the car passed the vacuum test with flying colors!!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
inebriation

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Also check the oil dipstick o-ring at the base of your engine...that could be broken and leaking plus if your CCV is messed up/clogged, this could cause blockage in the oil dipstick tube itself.
inebriation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
xDLXSFx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I'm having a problem accepting the validity of the oil filler cap test. Why? I performed this on my 2001 330Ci (106k miles), and it passed. However, when I replaced the ccv (the car was using oil) the hose from the ccv to the dipstick was bone dry and the inside of the intake manifold looked like a Texas oil field! Obviously the ccv was kaput but the car passed the vacuum test with flying colors!!

This was explained to me by my mechanic that dealt with tons of issues regarding oil consumption, so that is first I heard; but I suppose if the drain line is clogged, that can cause build-up. Were you driving in colder months when this happened? Causing the infamous water/oil build-up in PCV? Gotta love figuring this stuff out lol.

Another trick he told me that he's done to 7 series that eat up oil is drilling 1/8" hole in oil filler cap to release any back-up pressure - he has mentioned fixing plenty of oil consumption problems this way, or dramatically diminished the problem.
xDLXSFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
markusmarkus

330ci burning oil

The drain line wasn't blocked at all. The rubber hose (from the ccv valve to the dipstick tube) was completely dry!!!! I drive the car a few times a week, with one of those outings a 15-mile jog at highway speeds - to stretch his legs!!

I live in northern Virginia so the weather hasn't been cold (unless you're from Miami!).

Tags
330ci, bmw, e46, oil