E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
For those that are getting Steering Sensor Error Internal

There are a lot of people that mention getting this error when they scan their cars using BMW Scanner 1.4. Sometimes they are SOL and need to replace their sensor. However, you can try doing this:

Turn the wheel all the way to the right till lock and then all the way to left. Then centre the wheel, making sure that the wheels are straight at that point. Then use BMW scanner to clear the error.

Hopefully, it won't come back. At least it did not for me. And maybe it is my imagination, but my steering became sharper. Hope this helps!
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
curca

My Ride: 2002 325i
cool nice to know I just need to buy scanner first, last year I had to pay $90 to reset my steering angle sensor error at bmw shop,
curca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
scarede46er

NEVER go to the dealer. They exist to rip you off. You can pretty much do everything computer related yourself and for pretty cheap. Ebay also has INPA/EIDBAS available for cheap for things that BMW Scanner cannot do.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Some steering angle sensor erros can be because of electromagnetic interference, according to Bentley.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Scarede46er, were you able to reset the code before trying to turn the steering wheel back and forth? I mean, were you able to clear it and then have it pop back up later, or did you just try your method the first time and it worked? Also, what combo of lights did you have on your dash?

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
scarede46er

I did not have any lights on the dash. I daresay this will not work if your sensor is ACTUALLY faulty. The internal error without the light being thrown is usually because the sensor needs to be calibrated. The method I outlined is the way for the sensor to see all possible angles of the steering and will make your steering more accurate. But it can only work if your sensor itself is good. So I think if you have lights on the dash, this will do nothing to rectify it. However, getting the BMW scanner will tell you exactly where the fault is. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
FastHackem

Yeah I have a thread HERE, but not a whole lot of people chimed in. I have PA Soft and I just received the package deal from the Romanian guy wih INPA, SSS, DIS and what not, but have not had anytime to use the new one. The code doesn't clear with PA Soft so I want to try INPA and recalibrate that way. I am leaning more toward the recal because I just recently replaced all 4 shocks and struts and did not get an alignment until the lights came on about 3 weeeks afterwards. Unfortunately the lights are still on after the alignment. I don't think Firestone (lifetime alignment) has the proper equipment to recalibrate.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
scarede46er

The lights will probably NOT come on if you have the original sensor matched to your car and it is not actually faulty. Try doing the recalibration yourself and if my method does not work, some sensor is most likely bad. However, PASoft will tell you which one it is.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
FastHackem

Just an update on this thread. I used DIS to recalibrate the original sensor and the error went away and so far, 160 miles later, is still off. If you have this issue, give this a try first before going through the cost and hassle of sensor replacement.

2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944