E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
MacBook Pro or go home. I used both Dell and HP laptops for years before I got my first MacBook. The Dell was a nightmare and the HP was marginally better. I purchased my latest MacBook pro in April of 2010 and I still have AppleCare remaining. I spent close to $3k and I don't regret it one bit. I love this computer. The build quality trumps anything else on the market and almost 3 years later, mine is going strong. Not to mention if I ever experience any issues, I can take it straight to the Apple store for help in any major mall near me. Can't beat that. The anodized aluminum unibody design is incredible.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I paid $3k for my MBP in 2010 and the going price for my model is still $1200 or so. No other computer manufacturer can match that.

What it comes down to for me is very simple. I use this device almost every single day of my life. Why wouldn't I want it to be the best available?
Don't become a salesperson. I just said I've never had major issues with even my HP laptops within the time frame that I wouldn't want to replace them anyways. By the time they've failed, I've been ready for an upgrade. To me, that's completely acceptable. Hell, my first Compaq had a monitor cable issue, fixed that myself and gave it to my mom. Next HP was bullet-proof and bought a new one after 6 years, gave the old one to my now ex-gf, and it's still going strong as far as I know. My last HP laptop had a monitor cable issue too and I was the one that messed it up trying to fix it.

So, telling me spending $3k on a laptop because it's still working great for you three years later sounds insane to me, especially when I'd have to learn a new OS.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I opted for a 500GB HDD with DVD/CD drive but you might look into a 128 or 256 SSD with 1TB HDD in the CD bay.
Even though no one uses the CD/DVD drive much anymore, this consumes loads of battery power. Much better off with a detachable portable external.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
You basically spec all the parts you want and you can build some seriously powerful laptops, but quality is questionable.
Questionable quality and astronomical price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. Seagate makes the hard drive with a sort of SSD+ feature, and I know a few companies sell laptops that use the mini SSD as a massive cache (pretty much). There's no way that he's getting more than a 256gb SSD for $1500.

And Ultrabooks are not primarily focused on high performance.
Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, they have a bunch of hybrid drives out there, I think Seagate makes them. Anyway, reviews say they aren't nearly as fast as a true SSD but are much cheaper so give and take on that one.

Dell makes several models with a 256GB SSD for less than $1500. I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Other option is to buy a lappy with the smallest/cheapest drive and swap it out for a 256GB SSD after you get it. You can also upgrade the memory to what you want too.

What are ultrabooks focused on if it's not performance?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
If you do decide there's a Dell that works, check their outlet: http://www.dell.com/outlet

They sell new, refurb and scratch/dent stuff there. The inventory cycles pretty fast, but if you know what you want and have the patience/time to click the search button a few times a day/night waiting for a suitable machine to show up, there are some pretty good discounts to be had.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
Don't become a salesperson. I just said I've never had major issues with even my HP laptops within the time frame that I wouldn't want to replace them anyways. By the time they've failed, I've been ready for an upgrade. To me, that's completely acceptable. Hell, my first Compaq had a monitor cable issue, fixed that myself and gave it to my mom. Next HP was bullet-proof and bought a new one after 6 years, gave the old one to my now ex-gf, and it's still going strong as far as I know. My last HP laptop had a monitor cable issue too and I was the one that messed it up trying to fix it.

So, telling me spending $3k on a laptop because it's still working great for you three years later sounds insane to me, especially when I'd have to learn a new OS.
You owe it to yourself to look at the Mac hardware. You don't have to spend $3k to get a good one. You can easily run Windows. I know of at least one person who has an MBP they use exclusively with Windows.

In the refurb section of the Apple store there are some pretty killer deals.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
side from that, going to a Mac scares me because I know windows so well. Video editing is a fun thing for me, so it's not a primary huge concern. I do enough of it, but it's nothing majorly technical. I just got really frustrated when I tried to make a half hour long video of my 24-hour go kart race out of a bunch of little clips and it ate every machine I owned for lunch. What I do take seriously is Photoshop because I work in large formats sometimes, and it pisses me off at work when I'm trying to design a banner or something and I have to wait a minute for each little thing I click, haha. For Photoshop, I really don't see the benefit of going to a Mac because it's the same damn program.
Bootcamp works great on a mac. Its just like having a windows laptop..

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
wceoscar

My Ride: 323i
Lenovo ThinkPad Series, I currently own 2 (T410 & T420) and I just can't be any happier with it. Powerful, Great battery life and outstanding build quality did some video editing last weekend on the T410 using Adobe Premier, not a single hiccup.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
why not go MBP and upgrade to an SSD yourself??? You can get one used and just reformat to a new SSD
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
Quote:
You owe it to yourself to look at the Mac hardware. You don't have to spend $3k to get a good one. You can easily run Windows. I know of at least one person who has an MBP they use exclusively with Windows.

In the refurb section of the Apple store there are some pretty killer deals.
Agreed last years Macbook pro is selling right at a grand. The same one I bought earlier this year for 1300
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
trippinbillies4

Would a used MBP has the same guts as a new W530?

Here's what I'd be looking at:

I7 3610 cpu
1600x900 display (would use a monitor at work)
Nvidia Quadro K1000m 2gb graphics
8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
500gb 7200rpm HDD
16gb mSATA SSCD

All of that would be $1250ish. I'd spend almost twice that on a new MBP.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
Grande D

Quote:

I7 3610 cpu
8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
500gb 7200rpm HDD
16gb mSATA SSCD

What?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
Grande D

Here are a couple examples:

15" Quad Core i&, AG display (better than the Lenovo I'm sure), 750gb HD

Newer 15" With Standard Screen

Last edited by Grande D; 11-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:

As I previously stated, I interface with my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod and MacBook Pro) on a daily basis. I am more than happy to pay what Apple charges for these devices. In fact, I like them so much, I can safely say I would be just as happy paying double. The devices are just that good. I would never consider investing in a device I use daily to be foolish.

The hardware debate is also another tired argument in regards to Mac vs. PC discussion. Does Apple charge more for the same hardware as it's PC counterparts? Yes, but think about what you're getting. The anodized aluminum unibody design is just the start. There are numerous physical and intangible aspects of owning a Mac that justify the premium in price. Not to mention, it is all tied together with the most intuitive and advanced OS available. Lastly, it interfaces with the rest of the Apple ecosystem seamlessly. The point I am trying to make here is that you cannot quantify the value of an Apple computer by it's dollar value or asking price. MacBooks, just like all other Apple products are better judged on the sum of all these parts working together to form the device.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
trippinbillies4

Quote:
As I previously stated, I interface with my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod and MacBook Pro) on a daily basis. I am more than happy to pay what Apple charges for these devices. In fact, I like them so much, I can safely say I would be just as happy paying double. The devices are just that good. I would never consider investing in a device I use daily to be foolish.

The hardware debate is also another tired argument in regards to Mac vs. PC discussion. Does Apple charge more for the same hardware as it's PC counterparts? Yes, but think about what you're getting. The anodized aluminum unibody design is just the start. There are numerous physical and intangible aspects of owning a Mac that justify the premium in price. Not to mention, it is all tied together with the most intuitive and advanced OS available. Lastly, it interfaces with the rest of the Apple ecosystem seamlessly. The point I am trying to make here is that you cannot quantify the value of an Apple computer by it's dollar value or asking price. MacBooks, just like all other Apple products are better judged on the sum of all these parts working together to form the device.
That's what I'm asking. What are the other things besides the aluminum body that I would enjoy? I am a droid guy, so I could care less about it interfacing with my other devices.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
That's what I'm asking. What are the other things besides the aluminum body that I would enjoy? I am a droid guy, so I could care less about it interfacing with my other devices.
In addition to the aluminum unibody design which makes for an incredibly rigid and durable computer, I think you would enjoy many of the other features

1. Battery - Rated for over 1,000 cycles, the batteries found in MacBooks are truly a thing of wonder to me. My current battery is close to 400 cycles and still retains over 90% of it's original charge life.

2. The all glass, multi-touch trackpad and backlit keyboard. No other manufacturer can compare with the user interface found on the MacBook pro. When I upgraded to OS 10.7 lion in 2011, Apple introduced a whole new way to interact with your computer using the touchpad and multi-touch gestures. I have never found it so easy to launch programs, switch between programs, bring up widgets, scroll and zoom using my fingertips. I love this aspect of my MacBook.

3. I/O/ MacBooks feature top quality iSight cameras, microphones and speakers. It's a pleasure to listen to Music on my MacBook.

4. The Retina display. If you spring for one, seeing truly is believing. This is the way displays are headed, Apple set the new standard.

5. Support. I consider AppleCare a must on every Apple product I own. I've used it a handful of times with my MacBook pro to solve issues and it is hands down the easiest and least frustrating computer support experience ever. I schedule an appointment, take it into the store and I am met with experienced and courteous individuals who work hard to solve my problem. It's awesome to have that.

6. Overall fit and finish. Nothing even comes close to the way Apple products feel in your hands. You can tell a lot of time and personal attention was used n the development of these products. They really thought of you, the end user when manufacturing the devices.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's enough for now.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Are you like thick in the head or something "droid guy", you can install Windows on a Macbook pro and still get the best screen / case / hardware

I got a late model 3ghz Macbook pro with 4gb RAM, 15" for $750

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
Grande D

Quote:
1. Battery - Rated for over 1,000 cycles, the batteries found in MacBooks are truly a thing of wonder to me. My current battery is close to 400 cycles and still retains over 90% of it's original charge life.
Only 400 in over two years?! Do you ever move?

Mine is at 948 cycles in the same time period. 85% Health by the way.

The Macbook line is the best built computer lineup available right now. The trackpad and keyboard are second to none. That's why Apple laptops have recently garnered the respect of historically PC-centric publications, despite their comparatively higher asking prices.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #37
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Only 400 in over two years?! Do you ever move?

Mine is at 948 cycles in the same time period. 85% Health by the way.

The Macbook line is the best built computer lineup available right now. The trackpad and keyboard are second to none. That's why Apple laptops have recently garnered the respect of historically PC-centric publications, despite their comparatively higher asking prices.
Not to mention, the Mac lineup continues to grow in sales each year while the PC market has been steadily declining.

My battery was replaced under AppleCare in July of 2011. I had no problems with it, but they replaced it when it went in for something else. That battery was probably around 350-400 cycles.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:

I7 3610 cpu
8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM
500gb 7200rpm HDD
16gb mSATA SSCD

Go with the 1920x1080 and K2000m. I forgot about the mSATA, that is a great option. Honestly though an HDD isn't bad. You could save some money there and still have the option later on.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 11-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #39
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
I have an Asus G74SX and love it. Tigerdirect has a good deal on the newest model.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...975&CatId=4935

There is also plenty of room for another big SSD, slap that in and reformat and you're golden.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #40
trippinbillies4

OK, let's move away from the brand discussion and start talking about components.

Knowing that Photoshop speed is a big concern, and I'd like the computer to be able to do longer videos composed of lots of shorter clips...

Would I notice the difference going from the i7 3610 to the 3820? What all does the extra 2mb of cache do for me?

Also, how much of a difference would the K2000 gpu make over the k1000? I know Vegas Pro 11 can take advantage of it. Making a half hour long video and processing it, are we talking a minute or two difference in rendering speed? 20 minutes? 30 seconds?

What about memory? My guess is it's probably best to order a computer with the standard 8gb and upgrade it myself through newegg for cheaper? Would I notice a big difference from 8 to 16gb? What about 32?

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS