E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Sdracer

My Ride: E46 m3 vert
Passenger door lock

Passenger door has to be Manually opened using the lever from the inside where should I start looking to fix ?
Sdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
aznniche

My Ride: E36
remove door card. there's a cable on the door carrier that snapped loose - no tension and will not allow you to open from the outside. can fix by using ziptie back to carrier. search - there's a diy out there.
aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Sdracer

My Ride: E46 m3 vert
I can hear the actuator work but it won't pot the door lock
Sdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
YGOSLO

My Ride: 03 CarbonSchwartz M3
Door lock actuator... Replaced mine right after I bought it. Pretty easy to do.

2003.5 Carbon Black/Imola Red ///M3 Coupe: Stock
2003 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra: Not Stock
YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
rblynn78

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert SMG
Not Actuator

I had the same thing happen to me.

Good news - If you hear the actuator move but it doesn't unlock, but you can unlock manually with the handle, it is NOT the actuator.

Bad news - It is your GM, or General Modulator. Most likely something else will go weird soon, like driver side will not unlock every once in a while. About $500 to fix

2002 M3 SMG Vert - Topaz Blue with Blue Top

Sharked, Supersprint Sport Exhaust, Euro Headers, Euro Section 1, Schnell Intake, BC Racing Coilovers (7kg/8kg) 19" BBS LM's, Carbon Front and Rear, Umnitza Angel Eyes, Smoked Side and Turn Signals, Coby Wheel and Shift Knob, RPI Intake Scoops

rblynn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
YGOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblynn78 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me.

Good news - If you hear the actuator move but it doesn't unlock, but you can unlock manually with the handle, it is NOT the actuator.

Bad news - It is your GM, or General Modulator. Most likely something else will go weird soon, like driver side will not unlock every once in a while. About $500 to fix
I'd have to disagree with the "Good News" portion of this. That is exactly what one was doing and a new door lock actuator resolved my issue. I can't attest to the "Bad News" part.

Nice Vert!!

Last edited by YGOSLO; 11-13-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Same problem, though I haven't fixed yet. My understanding: it's the door actuator whereas if it were the GM5 module, you'd get more random, weird schmidt going on.

YGSLO, how easy was it to replace? I sort of thought that, while technically pretty simple, it was actually a bit of a bear to get the old one out and the new one in due to tight clearances. True? Not? Your experience?
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
YGOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Same problem, though I haven't fixed yet. My understanding: it's the door actuator whereas if it were the GM5 module, you'd get more random, weird schmidt going on.

YGSLO, how easy was it to replace? I sort of thought that, while technically pretty simple, it was actually a bit of a bear to get the old one out and the new one in due to tight clearances. True? Not? Your experience?
I was intimidated at first, but I went off a DIY I got from M3Forums and it was actually pretty simple. Just read the entire DIY and follow other users' advice. Easily done in an hour.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=242785

Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
aznniche

My Ride: E36
carrier cable is broken, dont' try the expensive route of actuators or gm5 before doing this simple fix.. here's a link: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+carrier+cable

Last edited by aznniche; 11-13-2012 at 11:00 PM.
aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
rblynn78

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOSLO View Post
I'd have to disagree with the "Good News" portion of this. That is exactly what one was doing and a new door lock actuator resolved my issue. I can't attest to the "Bad News" part.

Nice Vert!!
Thanks man!!!

Yeah, obviously thoroughly check to make sure it isn't the actuator. What I can tell you is I tried that first (as you should) and nothing. So I had to replace the GM which is expensive and sucks. Good luck!!!!

2002 M3 SMG Vert - Topaz Blue with Blue Top

Sharked, Supersprint Sport Exhaust, Euro Headers, Euro Section 1, Schnell Intake, BC Racing Coilovers (7kg/8kg) 19" BBS LM's, Carbon Front and Rear, Umnitza Angel Eyes, Smoked Side and Turn Signals, Coby Wheel and Shift Knob, RPI Intake Scoops

rblynn78 is offline   Reply With Quote