E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
need replacement battery, any suggestions?

I've heard there are some lightweight ones available - car is a 330Ci (2001) - any suggestions? Thanks.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
I got the Walmart 94R 2 days ago. $82 + $5 core charge. Tad bigger though, but certainly uprated from the 10yr old OEM battery it replaced. Even has the vent hole on both sides.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110123_102213.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	390803  

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 01-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
You wanna an AGM battery for the latest tech.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
Agm???
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Go to the dealer and listen to what they tell you about battery repalcement. Walmart is a bunch of bumpkins.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Go to the dealer and listen to what they tell you about battery repalcement. Walmart is a bunch of bumpkins.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusski View Post
You made the same mistake as well, huh?

only BMW batteries work in BMWs. Walmart has junk.

I once watched a TV show about batteries. They are difficult to make. BMW are a group of highly skilled engineers. Walmart is a bunch of country bumpkins who over-eat and dont like to read books.

Last edited by OrientBlau; 01-24-2011 at 04:00 PM.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
go to store and buy battery

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
OrientBlau

Is it possible to buy a Duracell car battery? I like the copper top look. Cool marketing color scheme.

EDIT:
Maybe I will just spray paint the top half of my BMW battery copper color.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
MF325XI

My Ride: '03 325XI
Get a Duralast from autozone. I got the red top one 3 yrs ago and have had no issues. I have used the duralasts in all my cars.
MF325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
jneumann

Quote:
Walmart has junk.

I once watched a TV show about batteries. They are difficult to make. BMW are a group of highly skilled engineers. Walmart is a bunch of country bumpkins who over-eat and dont like to read books.
There are only three major manufacturers of car batteries in the world. Both the OEM and the Walmart 94R are made by Exide, the second largest battery manufacturer. The Walmart one is relabeled EverStart, just as the OEM one is relabeled BMW.

Many things I would advise buying OEM. A car battery is not one of them.

All this has been gone over many times before on this forum.

AGM btw is Absorbent Glass Mat - Probably not necessary for you, used more in Jeeps and such. They are less vibration prone than normal batteries.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 01-24-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Only buy oem.

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
Only buy oem.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...almart+battery

Do you get more than a 3 year warranty on the dealer battery? If not, I see no reason in buying essentially the same battery for more, just because you want it to have a BMW logo on it.
On top of that, I was under the impression parts bought at the dealer are 1 year warrantied.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...almart+battery

Do you get more than a 3 year warranty on the dealer battery? If not, I see no reason in buying essentially the same battery for more, just because you want it to have a BMW logo on it.
On top of that, I was under the impression parts bought at the dealer are 1 year warrantied.
The BMW logo represents honor and German engineering. THAT is what I want stamped on my battery. Plus, Im German and like to support the German economy.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
I'm not saying just because it has the logo. I fell more comfortable with a dealer battery.

And yes exactly as stated above me ^^

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
You made the same mistake as well, huh?

only BMW batteries work in BMWs. Walmart has junk.

Heres your problem
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
jneumann

Quote:
The BMW logo represents honor and German engineering. THAT is what I want stamped on my battery. Plus, Im German and like to support the German economy.
It is not a German battery though. The Walmart 94R and the OEM battery from the dealer are made by Exide and rebranded. It is essentially like strapping a BMW badge onto an Impala and then calling the thing German made. Don't get me wrong, I love German engineering, but Exide is not a German company. Hell, they provided the USA batteries for the military during WWI and WWII. Do you really think the US military would have bought German batteries in the middle of a war with Germany?

Last edited by jneumann; 01-24-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
YeaBMW

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP~E90 335
Quote:
There are only three major manufacturers of car batteries in the world. Both the OEM and the Walmart 94R are made by Exide, the second largest battery manufacturer. The Walmart one is relabeled EverStart, just as the OEM one is relabeled BMW.

Many things I would advise buying OEM. A car battery is not one of them.

All this has been gone over many times before on this forum.

AGM btw is Absorbent Glass Mat - Probably not necessary for you, used more in Jeeps and such. They are less vibration prone than normal batteries.
Walmart Battery
YeaBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
edco

My Ride: 2004 325cic 2006 X5
Just one point for the future when it's time to replace the M3 battery.
What most people fail to notice is that you have a CONVERTIBLE. The size for a vert is very different than a coupe or a sedan. In fact the battery itself is different even as OEM. Because of the structure of the convertible body, your best bet is to buy the OEM battery from the dealer. How do I know ? Because last week, I spent HOURS of time researching this topic, and in the end the difference between any non-OEM battery and RIGHT battery for a convertible is negligble. I paid $175 installed from my dealer, and don't have to worry in these cold Northeast temps.

Buy it right, or buy it twice.

Good Luck
ed

Last edited by edco; 01-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
OrientBlau

Quote:
It is not a German battery though. The Walmart 94R and the OEM battery from the dealer are made by Exide and rebranded. It is essentially like strapping a BMW badge onto an Impala and then calling the thing German made. Don't get me wrong, I love German engineering, but Exide is not a German company. Hell, they provided the USA batteries for the military during WWI and WWII. Do you really think the US military would have bought German batteries in the middle of a war with Germany?

You're disturbing my German fantasy world. My battery was made in Germany by skilled craftsmen who took vocational exams at an early age and were deemed to possess high aptitute in building batteries for BMW.