E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
+1

1) BMW water pumps are not "defective" and are not particularly more prone to failure than any other make. Every car uses a water pump. Water pumps use bearings. The life of a bearing is finite regardless of what part of the globe it's from. So take note BMW at what?

2) With the exception of the short-lived 1990s E36 "plastic water impellar" debacle of the 1990s, BMW pumps are excellent and actually superior to many other makes, including many Japanese pumps I've come across. I can't even begin to tell you how many Japanese cars require water pump/cooling jobs before 100k miles. You don't even want to know what a chore of a job a water pump on a Toyota/Honda V6 (or ANY make V6 or even 4 cylinder for that matter) is.

Again, replace your cooling system every 80k miles and you'll never have a problem. If YOU have a problem with that, then you can't afford to be driving any car.
E90 uses electric water pumps...
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
silvrXI

My Ride: E46(x2)&E36/7M&YZFR6
BMW did recall water pumps, on the new V8, N63 all were called in to have replacement of the auxillary coolant pump. BMW only recalls the stuff that really needs to... Sorry about your situation, you probaby own a lemon.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
SteadyMobbin

Btw im on all original cooling system (minus t stat) at over 190k. Just dont drive your car like a kid...
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
I heard the water pump in the E90's are almost 350.00
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Btw im on all original cooling system (minus t stat) at over 190k. Just dont drive your car like a kid...
Your the winner!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Your the winner!
Yayy! Expansion tank is looking a little iffy thought. Gotta new one ready
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
I heard the water pump in the E90's are almost 350.00
Yeah, they're highly sophisticated. One reason is because they know people are not going to wait a minute after parking before shutting down their car to cool down the turbos. This allows the car to continue to cool everything down with the water pump even after the car has shut off and the driver has walked away.

Another reason is the pump can deliver the optimal flow at all all times, regardless of engine speed.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
700,000 vehicles for defective Toyota water pumps. How many 3 and 5 series have been sold since 1992?
well BMW made some 4,693,819 E46s. so add E36s, E9Xs and 5 series to the almost 4.7 million number of E46s. I think you get the point that its a lot.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
DougL3NC

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
One major factor to consider when comparing Japanese to German is:

Name me one Japanese automaker that does NOT recommend replacing the water pump when the timing belt is due? IIRC, most Japanese automakers call for timing belts to be replaced between 60K-80K miles...maybe some are at 100K now. Who really wants to run a water pump through 2 timing belts? Not me and it's not exactly fun to do timing belt jobs on any Japanese car, or do it a second time before it's due again because your ass was too cheap to replace it proactively!

I say give the gold to BMW! At least the damn water pump is EASY to replace if it craps out.

Last edited by DougL3NC; 11-14-2012 at 01:59 PM.
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Another important thing to note is the Recall is for the steering gear that gets the splines worn and can cause steering issues.
The Electric water pump on some of the hybrid Prius is the smaller recall. Their electric water pump may go out then short circuit the relay and then cause the car to stop while driving. This electrical fault is much different from water pumps wearing out. This doesn't instantly shut down our combustion engines in the middle of driving without warning. This is a Safety issue and not Toyota stepping up because they want to be known for longevity.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 11-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Cadillac NorthStar for the WIN!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
E90 uses electric water pumps...
Yeah, I've replaced them before. What's your point?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
mexsir

My Ride: E46 320 M sport
All water pumps fail. Its a matter of time, weather conditions, driving habits etc...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Yeah, I've replaced them before. What's your point?
Alot more reliable then mechanical. My buddy has an e90 with 160k and hasnt needed to replace it. He takes good care of his car though...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #35
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Alot more reliable then mechanical. My buddy has an e90 with 160k and hasnt needed to replace it. He takes good care of his car though...
you don't replace things like water pumps cause you need to. you do it as a preventive measure. so you don't break down or overheat.

E9X hasn't been out all that long so enough time hasn't passed to say for certain that the electric water pump is more reliable. I'm pretty sure it still turns on a bearing but isn't subjected to vibrations as much since it's not belt-driven. Just a theory.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
Garry1673

My Ride: E46 330 sport conv
Hi Guys, water pump went on my 2001 330 sport convertible at 95k miles. Radiator also changed at 75k miles as some muppet put sealer in it. Had car now for almost 6 years and love it with only 30k miles done over that period. Only issues are OBC not working and oil level sensor faulty as comes on for 10 secs after starting her up.
Garry1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Yea, Toyota > BMW for reliability, anybody who says otherwise is drinking the bmw koolaid.
When it comes to admitting their cars have problems, Toyota is far more reluctant than BMW to do so. They've had a sludge problem in their V6 engines for 20 years and refuse to acknowledge it. Remember the brake recall that they said wasn't a problem for years? Toyota would rather have people die than admit their cars have problems.

Signed,
Tyler Durden
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #38
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
you don't replace things like water pumps cause you need to. you do it as a preventive measure. so you don't break down or overheat.

E9X hasn't been out all that long so enough time hasn't passed to say for certain that the electric water pump is more reliable. I'm pretty sure it still turns on a bearing but isn't subjected to vibrations as much since it's not belt-driven. Just a theory.
Hmmm, try telling that to a master tech...
Your logic is flawed. You should thoroughly inspect these items, and if they show any signs of wear and tear, or if your wp is making some noises then yeah go ahead and replace. But if your replacing parts that are working perfectly fine then your just throwing money away...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
Airborne82id

My Ride: 330CI
Replaced my water pump, on my previous 330ci @ around 118K miles as P.M. Was fine when inspected. Owned the car since it had 64K miles on it so I'm positive it was original pump

Also, original ET till 128K miles when I crashed it!

Sometimes I think all the ET horror stories are due to improper filling the radiator

My second (and present 330ci) acquired it from a gentleman who, I guess likes to buy cars, prep them, then sell them; Appears to have the original ET on it (Except this ET does not have a lip!)

What I've found interesting is that he went the extra mile to install a stewart water pump, Dinan cold air intake and software, cryo treated rotors, even BSW speakers and the list goes on BUT somehow didn't do VCG and and left original ET

The vehicle so far (23K miles) proved to be solidly reliable. No issues.
Airborne82id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
SteadyMobbin

Quote:

But good for you if you have the time and money to do so...
I guess it gives you peace of mind.