E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
This statement is beyond absurd.

You know how many cars are on the road with over 150k miles are still on their original cooling system? If that were the case, my mom's car will need a new cooling system, my dad's car will need a new cooling system, and my brother's car will need a new cooling system. If I told them all what you said, they'd laugh at me and call me ridiculous.
Agreed. Cooling systems definitely should to be changed at 90-150K, especially because E46's and such are some of the hardest driven cars out there. If you drive like a standard nanny in her Previa, then I'm pretty sure the cooling system AND the water pump will alst the lifetime of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks

Last edited by aahmed2016; 11-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #62
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
My logic is never flawed. I've heard some master techs say some pretty outlandish things. I've actually had to school a few on some pretty simple BMW sh!t. They don't impress me one bit.

I don't let my water pumps get to the point to where they're failing. It's such a cheap part, my friend. If you can't afford to replace a $60 pump on a preventive basis, then you probably shouldn't be driving a car.

And by the way, it's you're, not your. They teach that in 4th grade, I'm sure.
Ha.

Last edited by SteadyMobbin; 12-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #63
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
I'm getting this feeling that some in the community have this notion that BMWs are built like the movement that's in a Rolex so to speak, meaning the mechanical nature of the thing will not break. It's a fact of life, all German car's are finicky to some degree, and even beyond. If it's made by man and it's mechanical, it's going to break - fact of life. Repairs hurt the wallet in a BMW more because it is a premium brand, but who doesn't know that when you sign on the dotted line. I remember my salesman telling me the cost it will run me after the factory warranty was over. Anyways, enough about that. My water pump started weeping at around 40,000 miles. It started to weep more ay 100,000 miles so ECS Tuning to the rescue with their Stage 3 cooling system replacement, plus a fan clutch and even more hoses. So now, all the "spinny things" up front are new, the S54 runs cool, and life is good for another 100k miles, hopefully.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #64
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Unless I have good reason to replace something, I am going to use all my parts for their intended useful life: AKA, when they show signs of failure.
Don't ask me why, but I just read through this thread tonight, and Zell's statement reminded me of something I learned in my first career as a plant engineer. There are three modes of maintenance: Preventive maintenance, predictive maintenance, and run to failure.

Some components are okay to run to failure. Windsheild wipers come to mind. Failure is when they start streaking, not when the rubber starts to shred.

Brake pads are usually maintained by predictive maintenance by measuring the wear at various time intervals (like every time you have the wheels off the car) to predict when they need replacing. BMW has taken this a step further by installing proximity probes that warn us when the brakes need replacing.

Rotating parts such as water pumps are usually maintained by preventive replacement. This is true for pressure parts like radiators as well.

Predicitive maintenance is actually the lowest cost method. All of the components addressed in the E46Fanatics forum can be fitted with some type of sensor to indicate impending failure so that each of us can wait until our car throws a code to tell us something needs to be replaced. Vibration sensors can tell us when bearings are about to fail. Strain gauges can tell us when the expansion tank or other plastic parts are about to yeild (not to mention the subframe). Conductivity probes can tell us when to change the antifreeze.

The problem is that adding all of the sensors and transmitters required to do this would make these cars outrageously expensive.

For the E46, we don't have these sensors installed in the car and wired into the ECM. That leaves us two choices: run to failure or preventive maintenance.

A lot of posts seem to indicate waiting for some indication of impending failure of a water pump or whatever to replace a part. The challenge for these posters is having a reliable "indicator". Invariably, these people are relying on their own five senses as indicators. The problem with this is, when you are driving your car, you are not going to hear your bearing failing. Your "indicator" is in the front seat and tuned into the radio.

If you are relying on your five senses as indicators for predictive maintenance, you are more likey practicing "run to failure". Have at it and good luck.

Just don't join in the arguments about the correct intervals to perform preventive maintenance.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Last edited by wildirish317; 12-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #65
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
^nice!
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote