E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
The world as we know it is coming to an end...

School lunches will never be the same

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/host...ness-1C7112898

Quote:
Hostess Brands, baker of iconic Twinkies cakes, said Friday it asked a court's permission to shut down the entire company after a strike crippled its operations.

The move shuts down one of the nation's oldest and largest producers of baked goods. Founded in 1930, it produces such well-known brands, aside from Twinkies, as Ding-Dongs, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Donettes, not to mention Wonder bread, which the company says is the best-selling white bread in the United States.

In a statement, Hostess said its bakery operations have been suspended at all plants and that it would lay off most of its 18,500 workers to focus on selling its assets. It said it has filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeking permission to close its business and sell its assets, including 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
fvuk unions.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
It will be the first of many. Washington has done little to incent corporate america's growth the last four years. A nation's prosparity is derived from a high employement rate. A high employment rate is the function of a motivated business market. US business leaders, especially smaller businesses, are no longer feeling motivated and those just barely getting by won't be able to take on new burdens from the labor force, or from Washington.

Talked to a few long term successful business owners recently, two of which were talking about plans for expansion in 2013 / 2014, but as a result of the election, both have tabled their plans in favor of just managing to sustain.

Last edited by Mark M; 11-16-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
It will be the first of many. Washington has done little to incent corporate america's growth the last four years. A nation's prosparity is derived from a high employement rate. A high employment rate is the function of a motivated business market. US business leaders, especially smaller businesses, are no longer feeling motivated and those just barely getting by won't be able to take on new burdens from the labor force, or from Washington.

Talked to a few long term successful business owners recently, two of which were talking about plans for expansion in 2013 / 2014, but as a result of the election, both have tabled their plans in favor of just managing to sustain.
keep your politics out of here. This isn't a result of the election, this is a result of the employees striking, the company warning them it wouldn't be able to continue, and the employees maintaining their strike.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Suddenly, the Earth's total mass loses 5 megatons.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Time to stock pile Twinkies!!!

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Atlas is shrugging...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
Atlas is shrugging...
or is no longer at risk for diabetes.

Disappointing needless to say.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
What is this, the 3rd time they've filed bankruptcy?

The word Twinkie is synonymous with junk food, it's too valuable a brand to throw away. They will be made somewhere, even if it is not a Hostess-owned bakery.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
NOVAbimmer

wow... here's something: A strike by about a third of the workforce caused the recent shutdown and layoff of everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In November 2012, Hostess employees nationwide went on strike. The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers' International Union, which represents 6,600 Hostess employees, took the strike action after the latest contract proposal from Hostess Brands was rejected by 92 percent of its members. In response, Hostess Brands issued the following statement:"A widespread strike will cause Hostess brands to liquidate if we are unable to produce or deliver products. If that's the case, the company will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,300-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders. We urge our employees to remain on the job to rebuild the company."[22]
On November 16, 2012, Hostess announced that it was ceasing plant operations, laying off most of its 18,500 employees, and filing for bankruptcy.[23][24] The CEO, Gregory F. Rayburn stated, "Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders."
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
wow... here's something: A strike by about a third of the workforce caused the recent shutdown and layoff of everybody.
am I an assh0le because I think it's funny that them striking now put them out of work? For some reason these "strikers" always annoy the sh1t out of me when I see them.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
am I an assh0le because I think it's funny that them striking now put them out of work? For some reason these "strikers" always annoy the sh1t out of me when I see them.
I've got no problem with the strikers being out of a job. I just feel a bit bad for the 12,000 or so people who just wanted to go to work and had no interest in striking.

I make fun of my wife for being a union worker (teacher). But she's already admitted she's going to scab if the picket lines form.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 11-16-2012 at 08:59 AM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i
What is the shelf life of a Twinkie??? Black Market...I wonder if I set up a legit business after all we did just pass the marijuana law in Washington..
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
The comments on the twinkies.org are priceless:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1wuc66OK3MGa9g
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
well now I do feel like an assh0le. My friend has a hostess route and is already out of a job. I'm trying to get some info from him now.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
fvuk unions.
This.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrusty View Post
What is the shelf life of a Twinkie??? Black Market...I wonder if I set up a legit business after all we did just pass the marijuana law in Washington..
I like your style, sir!

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwartz/Cardinal

1995 Silver Frost/Gray Taurus SHO (sold)

1999 BMW 328i Sedan Alpine White/Sand (sold)
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Time to stock pile Twinkies!!!
With a shelf life of 100 years, you'll be set for the rest of your life.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
What are basis for the strike? Self deserving fat fvcking union idiots?
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote