E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Thermostat stuck open

I just wanted to share some data with the forums. I have suspected since it started getting cold that my thermostat is stuck open somewhat. Today I have conclusive data of this. Below is a plot of my coolant temperature. It starts off at about 80C and dropping constantly. I started the data logging as soon as I got on the interstate, so it cooled a little from driving at about 45 mph to the ramp. You can see it continues to cool all the way to 72-74C at 80mph. It is obvious the time that I got off the interstate and then pulled into a parking lot at time 00:10:00. It then begins its climb back to the normal operating temperature before turning the aux fan on.

I should note that during this whole time, my temp gauge moved by only several degrees toward the cool side. If it is not DEAD center, you have an issue. I will be replacing everything but the radiator soon, and I will do that when I convert to the electric fan this spring.

Should be Coolant Temp (degrees C) vs Time...Torque pro doesn't have a good graphing system.

EDIT: Forgot to note the air temperature: 46-48 degrees F

Last edited by WDE46; 11-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
You didn't need an app to tell you that :-p BTW I ordered a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and downloaded torque. Should I buy torque pro? what does it do?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You didn't need an app to tell you that :-p BTW I ordered a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and downloaded torque. Should I buy torque pro? what does it do?
I know, but I just wanted to prove it to myself and I wanted to share what it looked like on the forums.

Torque pro made this graph.

From the torque page on Google Play:

Quote:
The paid version has support for more vehicles and ECU types, looks a lot nicer, and works with more cars / trucks

The paid version has more features (HorsePower,Torque, 0-60 , quarter mile tests, graph data, map / track views) + no adverts and exra dial/display types! and better ABS / Knock sensor support, Transmission temperature support for some makes of car / trucks (GM / Ford, etc), and Turbo Boost on many more vehicles (including VW)
I think I bought it for the configuration and data logging ability. The horsepower, 0-60, 1/4 mile times are all useless estimations using the incredibly inaccurate accelerometers on the phone. All of the direct data logging and graphing and the dial displays work wonderfully with a bit of lag.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Get the Torque Pro for $5, it is worth it.

Still some issues with the program, however, the author has been updating things along the way, adding features and improving things.

Most graphing is lackluster on any automotive tool as the graphing is handled by the software guys without input from the car guys!

Oh, a BMW or German car thermostat stuck open or opening too early = NORMAL!

Temp gauge in the E46 is buffered, it stays at 12 o'clock for 50F swing in temperature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Get the Torque Pro for $5, it is worth it.

Still some issues with the program, however, the author has been updating things along the way, adding features and improving things.

Most graphing is lackluster on any automotive tool as the graphing is handled by the software guys without input from the car guys!

Oh, a BMW or German car thermostat stuck open or opening too early = NORMAL!

Temp gauge in the E46 is buffered, it stays at 12 o'clock for 50F swing in temperature.
I'm thinking this is giving me some poorer fuel mileage. It has gone down since getting colder around here and it should go up (denser and cooler air). My temp gauge also leans left a little when it's 45F outside. It was 32F the other day and it was twice as far over. After I replace my parts I'll graph it again at a similar temperature and share it here.

+1 on buying Torque Pro. It's worth the $5. It can reset our codes and read them.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I'll buy pro.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I'm thinking this is giving me some poorer fuel mileage. It has gone down since getting colder around here and it should go up (denser and cooler air).

Winter blend gasoline, usually starts in mid October, looses gas mileage, estimated at about 2-3%.

Have you checked your tire pressures? They go down also with colder temps.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
Winter blend gasoline, usually starts in mid October, looses gas mileage, estimated at about 2-3%.

Have you checked your tire pressures? They go down also with colder temps.
Haven't checked the tire pressures. That's a good idea since I last filled them when the temperature was still 90F at night. Either way though, my engine is running too cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'll buy pro.
You won't regret it.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
can someone point me towards a proper bluetooth adapter that works with torque? There seem to be many to choose from
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
can someone point me towards a proper bluetooth adapter that works with torque? There seem to be many to choose from
Most of them looks identical to mine with a different sticker. I think some Chinese factory makes them and then companies resell them.

Mine looks identical to the "ELM 327 interface" that is all over Ebay. It has a different sticker but the same case and lights. Just search Ebay for OBDII bluetooth. Pick one.

The ELM 327 definitely works. I was just reading around real quick. Tons of videos with Torque/Elm 327 pair.

Also noticed my graph fits like a squashed version of the United States southern border.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-15-2012 at 12:46 PM.