E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Brake Rotors

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-Premiu...2f8d52&vxp=mtr

Getting a little vibration when I brake so think it's time for new rotors.

These seem like a good deal.

Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Get BMW M3 competition drilled rotors/brake kit. If you don't want to drop $3500 and want eBay brakes instead, then go with Brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors. I have them on my 350z and they are awesome! You can look them up on ebaymotors, a lot of corvette owners use them as well. They're made by Power Stop.

Last edited by Rockyminator; 11-07-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
The price is certainly in the 'good deal range' but unless you are going for the sport look - the drilled and slotted rotors are really just for looks these days. The brake pad compounds have changed and evolved to the point that there is not the gas release during braking that the slots/drills were originally designed to relieve... I have also noticed that the drilled rotors seem to be a bit more 'grabby' and are much more prone to cracking compared to a standard 'blank' rotor. Just my .02
Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The slots were designed for gas escape, but the cross drilling is designed for cooling purposes. By drilling holes through the rotor, more surface area is exposed to the air. With respect to the rest of your post, I agree. Slotted and cross-drilled rotors offer no compelling performance advantage over the stock rotors fitted to our cars, especially for street use, and they do cause greater pad wear and are prone to cracking. If you need new rotors, and like the look (I do), then get a quality set of cross-drilled rotors. Your best bet would be the OE for the European market M3 (or upgrade to the CSL fittings if you want to burn some serious cash, since you will need new calipers to go with them).

Last edited by DSilk56; 11-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
Callahan brakes!?!? That's the company in the movie "Tommy Boy"!
Seems like some fiction is involved with those rotors.

"If you want me to crap in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got the time." -Tommy Callahan

Last edited by Slyde; 11-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
I've used Tire Rack many times. They seem to have the least expensive prices. Stick with the good brands like ATE, Brembo and Centric Premiums. Shy away from brands you have never heard of or used, but if you are so inclined to buy/use them, make sure they are local to you so if you need support, at least you know where they are. On the other hand, if you're like a lot of other Fellahs who don't auto-x or do track work, my guess is that they're probably OK for normal road use.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Pulled the trigger and purchased these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-Premiu...2f8d52&vxp=mtr

So far so good. No issues. Breaking seems normal/the same.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Tito Cam

My Ride: 2003 E46
I bought these and I am very happy with the results. The center is coated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-E46-H...#ht_2160wt_932

Last edited by Tito Cam; 11-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Tito Cam is offline   Reply With Quote