E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Wife wants XDS 4" 9MM - any thing I should know before buying?

So my wife, who claims to hate guns, dragged me into a gun store yesterday to shop for our first pistol. She liked the XDS 4" 9MM. Thoughts? Anything to be wary of?

This is what we're looking for:

Something for home defense; camp trailer defense. (currently use the Mini-14 for this)

Something small enough for CCW - and small enough that it won't be inconvenient to carry.

Something that my wife can handle - size-wise and complexity-wise. She has smallish hands. She's never shot a pistol. She probably won't practice much. She's grown up around guns though and is good about the safety stuff . . but I want to make sure that whatever we buy doesn't require 1,000 rounds just to build the right muscle memory. I imagine that she might CCW this in a year or so - but initially she would only use it for home defense.

Something that doesn't hurt to shoot. Flyweight .357's are out.

-
I originally wasn't thinking CCW, so I was thinking a full sized 9MM with light - for the home/camp defense stuff. But Now I think I need to go smaller - for both something that I would regularly carry and something that my wife can hold comfortably. Also I think that I can always buy something bigger down the road. I'm thinking single stack 9MM, but trying to keep an open mind.

So when we went into the store, I first wanted to look at the Shield and also the Ruger SR9C (not single stack, but I thought the Shield might be too small).

The gal at the counter suggested the XDS 4" 9MM, showed us how that's what she carries and BAM, my wife was sold. The gun store lady is a good friend of a good friend, so my wife is tempted to go with her recommendation.

Personally I thought it felt pretty good in my hand. The sights lined up naturally for me, unlike the SR9C and others, which naturally go low or high. I like the fact that I can use the extended mag and that it has an accessory rail for a light, so I could effectively get that larger sized home defense pistol I want, but make it smaller when I CCW. I think this will be a nice gun for me even if my wife decides down the road that she wants something different.

Oh, I also like that there's no manual safety. I'd like to make it as simple as possible to go from pistol safe or holster to shooting.

So - anything I should know about the XDs before I buy? Any concern over the recent recall stuff? How is Springfield's customer service? How is the recoil?

Note - there are no rental ranges around here. We might be able to set up a training day with the gun store where we might be able to shoot the XDS, but it would be tricky to coordinate. I'd rather just get online advice and go for it.

Oh, and yeah - I think my wife's purported hatred of guns is funny. She's like the opposite of the Mom's Demand Action - instead of "I support the Second Amendment, BUT . . ." it's "I don't think anyone should own guns, BUT I think we should buy more guns!". She also asked me to teach our 7 yr old to shoot last weekend, which was awesome.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Shoot it first.

No major issues that I know of.

I prefer the HK P2000 (not safety but DA/SA) for carry personally.

Check out the Glocks, the HKs, and the M&Ps for similar but different 9mms.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 08-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I like my XDs .45, have no issues with it. The extractor always seems a little weak, nothing that impacts performance, but clearing it I have to make sure I pull back hard on the slide.

9mm SC can be pretty snappy, though. Have her shoot it first.

All that being said, though, if she's not going to practice with it, I wouldn't bother buying her a pistol for CC or defense.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I like my XDs .45, have no issues with it. The extractor always seems a little weak, nothing that impacts performance, but clearing it I have to make sure I pull back hard on the slide.

9mm SC can be pretty snappy, though. Have her shoot it first.

All that being said, though, if she's not going to practice with it, I wouldn't bother buying her a pistol for CC or defense.
Thanks for the advice - Glockman and Nova. On the "wouldn't bother" comment . . . this is just one of those things that will take time. She'll buy it, we'll shoot it . . she won't shoot it again for 6 months, then she'll shoot it again . . then 3 months later she'll be coordinating shooting get togethers with her friends . . then she'll be concealed carrying. It's how she operates. I just want to make sure she avoids any weird features that are not appropriate for a new shooter. She's buying it, by the way - so it's not really up to me, but I can help her do the research. She's starting a new job in the next year where concealed carry makes sense, so she's slowly realizing that she needs to do this.

Last edited by brew; 08-04-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Thanks for the advice - Glockman and Nova. On the "wouldn't bother" comment . . . this is just one of those things that will take time. She'll buy it, we'll shoot it . . she won't shoot it again for 6 months, then she'll shoot it again . . then 3 months later she'll be coordinating shooting get togethers with her friends . . then she'll be concealed carrying. It's how she operates. I just want to make sure she avoids any weird features that are not appropriate for a new shooter. She's buying it, by the way - so it's not really up to me, but I can help her do the research. She's starting a new job in the next year where concealed carry makes sense, so she's slowly realizing that she needs to do this.
makes sense, then.

As far as SC 9mm's go, I'd also check out the beretta Nano. Very nice little gun, but a snappy little 9mm SC.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
I have the xds 9mm. It's a good gun. Does NOT shoot reloads though. I've had plenty of jams with reloads. Never once with new ammo though. So be cautious.
It's a little on the heave side loaded up. Idk if it's actually heavy, or just seems heavy due to a heavier grip than barrel due to the short barrel length.
Carrying is ok. I would honestly prefer a single stack even with a longer barrel. Like I said the grip is heavy but also thick. I also have a crappy holster so that doesn't help. Having 13 rounds in the compact clip sure is reassuring though. So it's a fair trade off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Id get her the XD over the XDs but each individual has different hands

She has to test them all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
hard to beat a Glock 19 for what you want. Comes with 3 mags, so you don't even need to take extra ammo on camping trips. Just the pistol and 3 mags will garner you 45 rounds. I wasn't a fan of the XDs and ended up with a Shield 9mm for CC. No complaints here.

The G19 is great to travel with, is easy to carry, and conceal.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Thanks for the advice - Glockman and Nova. On the "wouldn't bother" comment . . . this is just one of those things that will take time. She'll buy it, we'll shoot it . . she won't shoot it again for 6 months, then she'll shoot it again . . then 3 months later she'll be coordinating shooting get togethers with her friends . . then she'll be concealed carrying. It's how she operates.
Sounds really familiar.....

Smaller handguns and new shooters can be tricky, especially if she's already on the fence. I can almost guarantee that if she shot an XD/G19 and an XDS (or any other single stack) she'd pick the bigger gun(I have first hand experience with this). But I concede it will be hard to get this point across in the store.

If shooting is really out of the question, just buy it anyway and get a bigger gun down the line. Although personally, I would do it the other way around
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
jott5555

My Ride: 01 330ci
I carry the XDS 4.0 9mm daily, No offense to Glockman but im not a big fan of them.. the grips are too large to get comfortable. I like the back strap safety on the XDs and with the 8rd mag your carrying 9rds which is a reasonable amount, It is easy to hide and fires very well and is more accurate them I am.

if you are going look at the LC9 consider the new LC9S with the short version trigger and the Shield is a great gun but the grip is slippery. I am a big fan of Talon Grips on a carry gun, the black rubber grip makes it more aggressive but not uncomfortable.

The reason i went XDS is because it was the most comfortable for me, The key to finding the right firearm is really comfort, some similar guns are the LC9, Shield, Walther PPS, and Taurus 709slim.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jott5555 View Post
I carry the XDS 4.0 9mm daily, No offense to Glockman but im not a big fan of them.. the grips are too large to get comfortable. I like the back strap safety on the XDs and with the 8rd mag your carrying 9rds which is a reasonable amount, It is easy to hide and fires very well and is more accurate them I am.

if you are going look at the LC9 consider the new LC9S with the short version trigger and the Shield is a great gun but the grip is slippery. I am a big fan of Talon Grips on a carry gun, the black rubber grip makes it more aggressive but not uncomfortable.

The reason i went XDS is because it was the most comfortable for me, The key to finding the right firearm is really comfort, some similar guns are the LC9, Shield, Walther PPS, and Taurus 709slim.
Why would I be offended? I don't even own one.

I carry an HK P2000 and have a Glock 19 on my nightstand.

OP - Give some thought to the new Glock 42 also. It is .380 but shoots like butter. She can upgrade to a 19 or similar down the road.

BTW - HKs in 9mm (internet pic)

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
brew

All good advice.

I think I posted this just to make sure no one jumped up and said "noooo - don't do it - XDs's suck/break down/have crappy triggers/bad customer service/whatever". No one seems to be saying that. I do appreciate the advice to try everything out . . but I'm willing to gamble it. Worst case is that she hates it, it becomes officially mine and then I have to live with any quirks it has, which isn't the end of the world. She really did like how the XDs felt and like the idea of the longer site radius of the 4". She hated the thickness of the SR9C, and thought the shield felt weird and didn't trust having a manual safety.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

OP - Give some thought to the new Glock 42 also. It is .380 but shoots like butter. She can upgrade to a 19 or similar down the road.
Yeah, the Glock 42 is pretty cool, too. That's probably the fallback if this doesn't work out for her.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

BTW - HKs in 9mm (internet pic)

Where's your VP9?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Has she/you checked out the Sig Sauer P239 or 938? I just bought one and love it.

Also HK P2000SK. (SK is smaller)
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
I own an XDS and love it. I have a long rambling story about how I surprisingly ended up with an XDS instead of a P938/P224. If you're interested I can tell you about it.
  1. I will say that mine has eaten my reloads without issue.
  2. The stock sights are great but for home defense/ccw I would plan on changing them to night sights.
  3. The texture on the grip is a little aggressive and can pinch a little over time if you squeeze tight. I put on the rubber talon grips and it's a huge improvement. Love the way the grip feels now. Below's a pic of my gun with the grips.

Recall
I bought my gun new and the recall didn't affect my serial. I think anyone buying new today won't have to worry about that unless you're buying old stock. AND I don't believe the recall affects the 4". Pretty sure it's only 3.3". If you know the serial of the gun you're going to buy before you buy it, you could check it out with the links below:
If you have any specific questions about the gun, let me know.

Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I own an XDS and love it. I have a long rambling story about how I surprisingly ended up with an XDS instead of a P938/P224. If you're interested I can tell you about it.
  1. I will say that mine has eaten my reloads without issue.
  2. The stock sights are great but for home defense/ccw I would plan on changing them to night sights.
  3. The texture on the grip is a little aggressive and can pinch a little over time if you squeeze tight. I put on the rubber talon grips and it's a huge improvement. Love the way the grip feels now. Below's a pic of my gun with the grips.

Recall
I bought my gun new and the recall didn't affect my serial. I think anyone buying new today won't have to worry about that unless you're buying old stock. AND I don't believe the recall affects the 4". Pretty sure it's only 3.3". If you know the serial of the gun you're going to buy before you buy it, you could check it out with the links below:
If you have any specific questions about the gun, let me know.
Cool - thanks!