E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1081
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post

I'm researching on a 300 blk out upper. Just need to decide on a 8.2, 8.5, or 9. Heard the powder fully burns at 9". What rail did you go with it, and how does it feel? Just wondering if it's cramped and how much of an extension you can get on it.
I've heard that powder burn rumor myself, but since I haven't shot this yet, I can't confirm either way. The upper is factory Noveske and the rail supplied by them is a monolithic one made by VLTOR.

It feels alot like an mp5 when shouldered. I wouldn't call the rail "cramped", but I would say that it is a little tough for me to get a decent extension on. It makes me feel cramped, but if I'm honest, so does my 10.5. It's just something I'm getting used to.

If you want, I can meet up with you this weekend and just bring it along so you can see it, shoulder it, etc.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #1082
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I've heard that powder burn rumor myself, but since I haven't shot this yet, I can't confirm either way. The upper is factory Noveske and the rail supplied by them is a monolithic one made by VLTOR.

It feels alot like an mp5 when shouldered. I wouldn't call the rail "cramped", but I would say that it is a little tough for me to get a decent extension on. It makes me feel cramped, but if I'm honest, so does my 10.5. It's just something I'm getting used to.

If you want, I can meet up with you this weekend and just bring it along so you can see it, shoulder it, etc.
Would be great to try it out before I decide. I'm working the next few weekends, but if possible, I should be off most weekends in November.

I'm going to start saving 556/223 brass and start reloading 300 BLK OUT. Seems that's the route most people are taking.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 10-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #1083
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Would be great to try it out before I decide. I'm working the next few weekends, but if possible, I should be off most weekends in November.

I'm going to start saving 556/223 brass and start reloading 300 BLK OUT. Seems that's the route most people are taking.
Cool, just give me a shout. I should be around for most of the weekends.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1084
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
After doing some hiking and other outdoor activities over the last week, I realized that I needed a new knife. I don't have anything between my Kershaw Blur folder and the giant Gerber LMF 2. I decided on the Esee 4.

I also decided to pick up a new firesteel. I bought mine at a gun show a couple years ago, and the handles on both the striker and steel just suck. I bought the Gobspark!

Last month I decided (with urging from my wife) to buy the last suppressor that I really wanted, a 9mm. The Form 3 was just approved and it's now on the way to my dealer, so I guess I now consider it mine. I decided on the SWR Octane 9 HD 2.

And of course, I needed something to install it on, so I picked up a Storm Lake Glock 19 threaded barrel.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1085
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Bought a Remington 511 today, one of the last that I needed for my basic 500 series collection. lots of sub model's that I need but it rounds out most of the basics minus the later models that will come later as I find deals.

2-510's
1-511
1-512
3-513t's
1-550

Ramdom photo off the net but they all look the same.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #1086
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Anybody have a line on a M1A SOCOM or Scout? I've gotten the itch for another rifle, and it's the only thing really on my list right now.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #1087
Jimmeh

My Ride: 335i
New toys

Benelli Supernova 18.5in

Ruger 10/22
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benelli Supernova.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	536756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger 10-22.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	536757  

Last edited by Jimmeh; 12-01-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1088
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x with Firedot reticle
SWR Octane HD fixed mount
Fireclean (so far it's working as advertised)
9" Rainier (Samson) Handguard
15" Rainier (Samson) Handguard
Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #1089
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Fireclean intrigues me. Damn it's expensive, though

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #1090
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

No doubt. I got a free sample. I treated my Glock before a class last weekend, and after 500ish rounds (obviously not a high volume) there was almost no build up. What was there really did wipe right off with a paper towel. I treated my 10.5" SBR before testing a rebuilt gas block (again, low round count) and it wiped right out.

I cleaned and degreased three ARs to compare Fireclean, Slip2000 EWL, and Froglube head to head.

The Slip2000 EWL feels the smoothest while racking the charging handle, followed by Fireclean, and then Froglube.
I think the Froglube did the best job of cleaning, followed by Fireclean.
The Fireclean is much easier to apply than Froglube, since you don't need to heat the parts.
The Froglube was a real pain in the ass to remove. It was a gummy mess. I ended up using non-chlorinated brake cleaner and Slip 725 degreaser.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-01-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #1091
Reedo302

I have used the straight liquid Froglube only, and it works just fine without heat. Obviously, once the gun heats up it soaks some in, but even if not, it lubes just fine.

For cleaning, Froglube worked the best out of all lubes I've tried. (other two being Militec and BreakFree CLP)
When left on for a while for squad car carry/storage, Froglube actually felt the smoothest in an AR action.
Slip EWL was the easier of the two to clean off if you wanted all the lube off the gun, but it was easier to remove fouling with Froglube already applied.
Slip2000 725 and CarbonKiller did a much better job cleaning than Froglube, though. Froglube solvent is supposed to be decent, but I doubt it's anything too much different from Slip's 725.
Froglube gets noticeably thicker in really cold weather. EWL is a better choice for arctic or higher-latitude winter environments.

Slip2000 CarbonKiller is the greatest thing ever. Mix it with a CAT-M4 tool and a couple other AR tools/brushes and you can clean an AR in a jif. I just got done doing annual department rifle inspections and it went like a breeze.

Funny story- One of our higher-ups is not happy about our switch to all Slip2000 products. I had two reasons for switching:
1. We had a half dozen chemicals and nobody knew what did what, so people were lubricating with Hoppes #9 and cleaning with Militec. Slip2000 system is simple. 3 products is much easier to negotiate.
2. All the stuff we HAD was toxic. Slip2000 is non-toxic.
The "higher-up" wants us to bring back a bottle of Militec lube because he thinks it's better. When asked why, he said "because I just think it is". I asked about their testing compared to what Slip had done, and "I still think Militec is better." When asked about toxicity, he was silent.

Militec ain't bad stuff. It's basically super-thin synthetic motor oil. Probably something similar to 5w10 or 5w20. It's not as good as Slip in super-cold weather, but it still works okay. I just feel that Slip EWL, Froglube and FireClean are more advanced.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-02-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #1092
NOVAbimmer

I used fireclean on my 1911 (Colt Combat Elite, bare steel reciever) this weekend, at the urging of a buddy of mine. It had a bit of surface rust starting on the front strap (textured) and underneath the handguards. Scrubbed it all down with the fireclean, let it sit for a while while we went out back to smoke a couple cigars, came back in for serious cleaning. It worked really well, took everything off, left it rust free.

I'll probably invest in a bit of it, at very least for the 1911.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #1093
Reedo302

I'm tempted to get another "fighting carbine" AR and then run a side-by-side-by-side test over the next year of EWL, Froglube and Fireclean.
My filthy as hell 11.5" is @ 9k rounds down the pipe since last cleaned, so I'm going to cave and clean it this winter and hit it with some rattle can paint.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #1094
NOVAbimmer

Recent purchases of firearms and other related items

Nice. Take pictures when you open it up.

What does "last cleaning" mean for you? I've had armorers turn me away for not running three feet of pipe cleaner down the gas tube.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1095
NOVAbimmer

I think I'm back on a gun kick again. I'm asking Santa for a gun trust this year.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1096
M3_POWER

Finally sent out my form 1 and two form 4s. I hope they don't get kicked back due to a discrepancy and they will grandfather it before the changes taking place next week.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #1097
M3_POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I have used the straight liquid Froglube only, and it works just fine without heat. Obviously, once the gun heats up it soaks some in, but even if not, it lubes just fine.

For cleaning, Froglube worked the best out of all lubes I've tried. (other two being Militec and BreakFree CLP)
When left on for a while for squad car carry/storage, Froglube actually felt the smoothest in an AR action.
Slip EWL was the easier of the two to clean off if you wanted all the lube off the gun, but it was easier to remove fouling with Froglube already applied.
Slip2000 725 and CarbonKiller did a much better job cleaning than Froglube, though. Froglube solvent is supposed to be decent, but I doubt it's anything too much different from Slip's 725.
Froglube gets noticeably thicker in really cold weather. EWL is a better choice for arctic or higher-latitude winter environments.

Slip2000 CarbonKiller is the greatest thing ever. Mix it with a CAT-M4 tool and a couple other AR tools/brushes and you can clean an AR in a jif. I just got done doing annual department rifle inspections and it went like a breeze.

Funny story- One of our higher-ups is not happy about our switch to all Slip2000 products. I had two reasons for switching:
1. We had a half dozen chemicals and nobody knew what did what, so people were lubricating with Hoppes #9 and cleaning with Militec. Slip2000 system is simple. 3 products is much easier to negotiate.
2. All the stuff we HAD was toxic. Slip2000 is non-toxic.
The "higher-up" wants us to bring back a bottle of Militec lube because he thinks it's better. When asked why, he said "because I just think it is". I asked about their testing compared to what Slip had done, and "I still think Militec is better." When asked about toxicity, he was silent.

Militec ain't bad stuff. It's basically super-thin synthetic motor oil. Probably something similar to 5w10 or 5w20. It's not as good as Slip in super-cold weather, but it still works okay. I just feel that Slip EWL, Froglube and FireClean are more advanced.
Heard cases of people using carbonkiller resulting in ruining the finish of their firearm. I suppose you haven't ran into this? That's why I went with M-Pro 7.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #1098
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Finally sent out my form 1 and two form 4s. I hope they don't get kicked back due to a discrepancy and they will grandfather it before the changes taking place next week.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #1099
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Nice. Take pictures when you open it up.

What does "last cleaning" mean for you? I've had armorers turn me away for not running three feet of pipe cleaner down the gas tube.

Touched it with any kind of cleaning chemical or tool.
I only cleaned the muzzle when I changed muzzle devices at about 5k rounds. Oh, and ran a boresnake down the bore when I did that.

Quote:
Heard cases of people using carbonkiller resulting in ruining the finish of their firearm. I suppose you haven't ran into this? That's why I went with M-Pro 7.
I suppose it could happen, but it also depends on what kind of finish they have and how long they're leaving it in the Carbon Killer. It's citrus-based with some other junk in it, so it's likely acidic. I've never seen it, but then and again, the only things I soak in it are nitrided, phosphated or chromed components which won't be damaged. If I had my dad's old blued S&W K-frame .38, I wouldn't be soaking it very long. Nor would I soak my hydro-dipped Benelli SBE.
I've gotten Carbon Killer on other finishes like the Benelli (Realtree pattern), and a couple other finishes for short periods of time and have not seen anything.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-02-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1100
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Touched it with any kind of cleaning chemical or tool.
I only cleaned the muzzle when I changed muzzle devices at about 5k rounds. Oh, and ran a boresnake down the bore when I did that.
I've got a few friends that would cry at hearing that. Or call you mean names. Most times I just run a bore snake down the barrel and call it a day on the AR, and have suffered countless amounts of "you're going to ruin that rifle" lectures. I usually just tell them they can clean it if they're that worried about it.