E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Lividevil

My Ride: 2000 323i
ABS/DSC/Brake light

So all of these lights have been driving me crazy, they keep coming on and off at random times (they only go off if i restart the car). Sometimes they'll stay off for days, sometimes they don't go off at all. I've been glancing at the fourm here and there trying to figure out if its a speed sensor. But there seems to be no definite way to tell. I hate creating new threads for things that I know have been solved but I just cant seem to find an answer

If it helps the Brake light is RED and then the abs and dsc are the standard yellow lights.

Been hearing things like you need to get the codes read, anyone know where I could do this? I feel like my usual trip to advance auto just wont cut it to read these codes.
Lividevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
Could be as simple as Low Brake Fluid. Check the Resevoir.
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
spoolinspoon

My Ride: 99 328i
Get it scanned. Steering angle sensor
spoolinspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
These three lights come on a lot...use advanced/title search and enter the names of the lights...you'll find many threads with exactly the same lights. Read the longer threads.

Might be steering angle sensor, but IDK for sure...could be really low air in one tire...speed sensor. Could be caused by more than one thing.

HTH

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
I have the same lights coming on too. I can't stand it. BMW wanted to replace my DSC unit. Not because it was the problem, but because it was the first fix on their list of guesses.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
These lights were goin off and on in my car for months. I started to notice it happened the most on snowy or rainy days when turning sharp hard fast left. The feeling when they came on was the exact same feeling as if the abs feature was being implemented, as in when you hit the brakes hard it causes the pedal to stutter. But then it became more frequent and would even be when the roads were perfectly fine, no rain no snow no sand. When I was changing my brake pads I seen a wire running from near the disc to the wheel well and then down under the car. This was the abs sensor wire. U can usually buy this anywhere online for around $99.00. It is about 1-2 feet long and connects to another wire which runs to the (well actually I don't know where it runs I guess it goes to a computer or control unit). But when I followed this wire from the tire area to the wheel well area and then down along the under side of the car it could see that the rubber coating on the wire had been worn out exposing the copper wire inside. This caused the copper to corrode. And the coroded wire could no longer conduct electricity when a 1/2 inch piece of the copper had been totally worn away til there was a gap in the wire 1/2 inch long and the only fix was to jump it splice it and tape it. Had I gone out and bought the sensor itself it would have been useless since the break in the circuit was past the connection. Moral of my story... Check your abs wires if u can't figure it out after trying all else but before buying expensive parts.

Have a nice day and good luck.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Lividevil

Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna get started on all of this tomorrow morning (today I suppose). Does anyone know where I could get these codes read and or it's typical price associated with it
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Autozone reads codes for free, so I hear.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
Yeap try to get it read! And see what the ECU tells you! Then star fix it! But can be cause for so manny things like dmax said!
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Lividevil

oh I thought I would need a special code reader, not just an OBD. Ill be sure to get on that ASAP
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
bimer21

If you were in south FL i put m bmw scanner for free that is what you need! But you dont live down here
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Lividevil

I wish I was in South FL, the weather would make more sense then NOVA, but thats besides the point haha, naw I'll just run over to advance auto and get them read hopefully it's just going to be something simple... But it never is....
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
bimer21

Good luck with it! But read the code first so in that way you go straight to the problem!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
I've experienced the ABS/ASC/handbrake lights. You need to have the fault codes read to determine the problem.

4 years ago, I had the ABS, ASC and RED handbrake lights on. We couldn't clear the lights. Turned out to be the expensive control module i had it replaced, problem gone.

But then last month, the three warning lights went on again, but this time, the handbrake light was YELLOW. Had the fault code read and it turned out to be the front right wheel speed sensor. We could clear the code but as soon as the car starts moving, the warning lights would come back on. After we replaced the sensor, everything was back to normal.

If I were you, I'd have it checked right away. My mechanic told me that if you don't fix it right away, it could take out your control module. Not sure if it's true, but it's better to be safe than sorry!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Lividevil

You're referring to the ABS Control module aren't you?

Oh god.... Why?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
ThisGuyzCool

My Ride: 00' 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to ThisGuyzCool
Your typical OBD-II scanner will not be able to read codes such as ABS/ Traction Control, Air Bags, or any other "specialty system". You need to go elsewhere to get those codes read other than a parts store.
ThisGuyzCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
ThisGuyzCool

My Ride: 00' 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to ThisGuyzCool
Most of the more advanced tools will read these codes like the Snapon Solus/ Solus pro, snapon 3200 (or 3400 i cant recall the model number) commonly refered to as the 'snapon brick'. but these are costly! if you have a friend who is a technician or know of any high schools near you with an automotive program, they will have access to such tools.
ThisGuyzCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Lividevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyzCool View Post
Most of the more advanced tools will read these codes like the Snapon Solus/ Solus pro, snapon 3200 (or 3400 i cant recall the model number) commonly refered to as the 'snapon brick'. but these are costly! if you have a friend who is a technician or know of any high schools near you with an automotive program, they will have access to such tools.
This guy, life saver. Just remembered about my old highschool having an auto shop. Heading there after work if the teacher is still there. If not I'm gonna try fairfax Hyundai since I know a few of the mechanics there
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lividevil View Post
This guy, life saver. Just remembered about my old highschool having an auto shop. Heading there after work if the teacher is still there. If not I'm gonna try fairfax Hyundai since I know a few of the mechanics there
Or you could just buy a "bmw scanner" and read the fault codes yourself for just $32. I ordered one after paying about $50 to have my ABS/ASC/ handbrake lights reset. The first time you use it, it will pay for itself. Got mine from xcar360

http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Lividevil

I'll also have to check that out. So it's just a code reader for everything? Would you say it's hard to understand or pretty straight foward?