E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Question Let's play "Guess the electrical issue!" with your host, Schlag96!

LOL okay, so this morning on my way to work (about 30 seconds after start-up, driving ~30 mph) my battery light flashed, ABS light came on, and DSC light came on. A few seconds later the sound of my stereo cut out. The head unit itself stayed on, but the speakers cut out. Shortly after that the sound came back and the three lights went away. Right around that time my air surged for a few seconds.

Not sure if it's related, but yesterday morning after not driving her for 4 days the battery was very low and I had to jump start. After jumping once, I disconnected the jumper cables and the car died. I jumped it again, and that time when I disconnected the cables it stayed running. It then started fine 6 or 8 times over the course of the day yesterday.

Any ideas what that was/is?

Thanks,

Schlag
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
How old is your battery? These cars exhibit very weird behavior as the battery goes.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
(My first thoughts) Bad Battery or alternator... put a volt meter on battery and observe before, and after start voltages (assuming you can now start it under it's own steam!). the alternator should be pumping a healthy voltage to keep it fully charged... Short journeys won't help either...
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Sounds like an alternator/voltage regulator issue to me. Could be the battery too, or a bad ground.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
DenverSooner

My Ride: 2014 328d xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmagoo View Post
(my first thoughts) bad battery or alternator... Put a volt meter on battery and observe before, and after start voltages (assuming you can now start it under it's own steam!). The alternator should be pumping a healthy voltage to keep it fully charged... Short journeys won't help either...
this ^
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
tech9018

My Ride: BMW
Just recently had this on my brother in laws car. Alternator fixed it.

My Ride:
2001~2979cc~4 Doors~ZSP~Sunroof Delete~No Folding Rear Seats~Schwarz

Mods:
Enkei~Dinan~Powerflex~Bilstein~Eibach~RCR
...And a whole lot of maintenance
tech9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
LOL okay, so this morning on my way to work (about 30 seconds after start-up, driving ~30 mph) my battery light flashed, ABS light came on, and DSC light came on. A few seconds later the sound of my stereo cut out. The head unit itself stayed on, but the speakers cut out. Shortly after that the sound came back and the three lights went away. Right around that time my air surged for a few seconds.

Not sure if it's related, but yesterday morning after not driving her for 4 days the battery was very low and I had to jump start. After jumping once, I disconnected the jumper cables and the car died. I jumped it again, and that time when I disconnected the cables it stayed running. It then started fine 6 or 8 times over the course of the day yesterday.

Any ideas what that was/is?Thanks,

Schlag
If you mean the hvac blowing, then there is a known issue with fsr breaking and leading to the battery getting low...I know there are times it seems to drain it overnight, but don't know if there are more mild failure modes that might drain it partially over a few days. But, the fsr does fail, and the warning sign, I believe, is that it just won't increase the speed of fan consistently.

I do not know if it can work with the fan, but fail such that it drains the battery.

Always start with the battery on electrical issues, though. Check date stamp under cover, check all connections for tightness and corrosion (pull up on bat. cables to see if they're loose).

Check terminals under hood (+ and gnd).

HTH and good luck!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Schlag96

Just got a brand spankin new battery a few months ago.

But I did take the positive terminal off a few weeks ago to troubleshoot my driver side tensioner. I'll make sure it's on there tight.

Otherwise, we're looking at FSR or alternator? I immediately thought alternator when it died while running just after the jump.

EDIT: Would a bad FSR cause slow battery drain and an electrical whine in the stereo?

Last edited by Schlag96; 11-14-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
silvrXI

My Ride: E46(x2)&E36/7M&YZFR6
Why do people still insist on disconnecting the battery with the car running? This is not a recommended diagnostic test. It can be dangerous!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
If it is an alternator issue, it's often the voltage regulator that bolts to it, which is a much cheaper part to replace then the whole alternator. Search youtube for diagnostic videos that tell you what buttons to press on your gauge cluster to give you live voltage readouts, etc. I might lean towards the voltage regulator acting up. Search and see what you can find

When my FSR was failing, the HVAC fan would surge, and eventually would intermittently just refuse to blow air entirely. It never affected any other systems.

I've had the same battery in my car for the 5 years that I've owned it with no problems (yet lol)

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 11-14-2012 at 06:33 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Whine through the stereo and battery drain? Sounds like an alternator my friend.
The battery is really only there to start your car. The alternator is what keeps everything going when the engine is running
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Just got a brand spankin new battery a few months ago. Brand new could still fail. Happens

Otherwise, we're looking at FSR or alternator? I immediately thought alternator when it died while running just after the jump.

EDIT: Would a bad FSR cause slow battery drain and an electrical whine in the stereo? Couid def cause the battery drain
First instinct is your battery. Even if new, when you drain it down to zero, could do irreparable harm.
Very easy to use the OBC hidden functions to check voltage before start and after to see if alternator brings voltage up.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Schlag96

Anybody know how to check voltage on the older 323 that has the under-hood connector? The in-dash test menu doesn't perform like in all the youtube videos for what I assume is the OBD-II connector only e46's.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Stinger9

Tried and true voltmeter always does the trick.
Let us know if you need any tips for a specific application.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Replacing the battery, voltage regulator, FSR should be done anyway to ensure reliability. Sounds like your battery being drained killed it and because your new battery was killed, your electrical system went crazy.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Schlag96

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Replacing the battery, voltage regulator, FSR should be done anyway to ensure reliability. Sounds like your battery being drained killed it and because your new battery was killed, your electrical system went crazy.
I'll assume until further notice that your solution to every problem is to replace all related parts.

I have a volt meter.. how do i test the alternator / voltage regulator? Obviously I know how to test the battery.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Stinger9

Quote:

I have a volt meter.. how do i test the alternator / voltage regulator? Obviously I know how to test the battery.
Measure from the terminal on the back of the alternator where the large cable is attached, to a solid ground on the engine. For instance the lifting hook would work.
Measure the voltage when the engine is off, and then start the engine and see what the voltage then reads.
Come back with both readings.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
I'll assume until further notice that your solution to every problem is to replace all related parts.

Autozone can test your alternator if you bring it in, which to my knowledge, is basically testing the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator brushes tend to wear down over the years. If the alternator bearings are failing/failed, you'll notice it when you spin the alternator (a different type of failure). Really, based on my experience, just replace the voltage regulator. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Something that should be done anyway.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrXI View Post
Why do people still insist on disconnecting the battery with the car running? This is not a recommended diagnostic test. It can be dangerous!
He disconnected the jumper cables.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Schlag96

I've got 12.2V at the battery terminals and with the car running it jumps to 13.5V. I didn't measure at the back of the alternator because it's the same point electrically. At least theoretically.

So why would an alternator have a slow drain on the battery when the car's not on?