E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
MRjayr

My Ride: E46 323i
Lightbulb **E46 DYI: How to make Cigarette Lighter turn ON/OFF with Accessories in 5 MINS!**

This mod is regarding the annoying issue of having a constant power source running to the cigarette lighter. If like me you have accesories such as GPS or an IPOD transmitter in it, it can be very annoying to be constantly plugging your items in and out to save the battery going flat. So today i finally got the time to do something about it!

Ok this mod is super easy and took me approx 5 minutes to do!

First you'll have to remove FUSE# 7 (Orange) for the Radio and Fuse# 47 (Blue) for the cigarette lighter
In this picture the fuses have already been pulled out. Each pin for the fuse has polarity.

Top is NEGATIVE (WHITE) & bottom is POSITVE (RED)

What were going to do is join the Negative from Fuse# 7 and join it with the Negative with fuse# 47.

But before we do were going to have to remove the fuse filament in fuse #47 OR just use a blown fuse.

Then with a strip of wire preferably one with a fuse doesnt really matter we'll join the negative pole of fuse 7 to Negative pole of 47 with the use of a soldering gun.
I would really refrain from just wrapping the wire around the pole incase a strip of the wire comes lose and makes contact with the opposite pole.

Finally put back the fuses making sure that the poles with the soldered wire goes to the pin facing up circled in BLUE.

And thats all folks!
Your cigarette lighter will now turn on and off with the switch of the accessories position.

ENJOY!
Jay

Last edited by MRjayr; 03-14-2011 at 12:35 AM.
MRjayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
ryantheguitarman

My Ride: Blue BMW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to ryantheguitarman
There's gotta be a better way to do this...

X2000 Integra GS , X2002 CBR 954 RR , X2000 Celica GT , XKpro'd 2002 RSX Type S, X1996 Celica GT Convertible
ryantheguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
EricAire

My Ride: E46 4d
There is... its called going to the dealer with a knife and asking them which body part they'd like to do this haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantheguitarman View Post
There's gotta be a better way to do this...

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer App
Old 03-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Anyway to re-size the pics? They're too small to see anything......

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
goodtohave

My Ride: 325iT
It's a great idea and a nice DIY but there is no negative side to a fuse. If you had positive on one side and ground on the other you would have a dead short. It is simply in and out.

What you are doing is powering the lighter circuit with power from a circuit that is switched instead of constant.

goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
Good diy but damn man my monitor is 1920px wide and i still can only see half of the image
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
i just saw jesus' eyes
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
MRjayr

LOL first time ive ever heard of people complaing pictures too big. You cant scroll to the right??

goodtohave yeah i kind of figured that after i posted the thread, but i suppose it helps which side of the fuse the wire should be soldered onto lol
Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
MRjayr

Click on the picture to resize, it will take you to imageshack link
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
rrgcsfb

My Ride: 2002 330Cic
This is very clever! Couple questions: I see you are using an in-line fuse. How many amps it? Also, wouldn't the lighter outlet now be limited to the 5 amp fuse (minus radio draw)?
If you need more power, you could drive a relay from the radio fuse, and switch the full 15 amps across it. Great find!
rrgcsfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
cheguevara

My Ride: 00' 328i AT
Thumbs Up

digging up an old thread, nonetheless, it worked like a charm!!

I didn't use inline fuse at all. just grabbed a piece of old speaker wire, soldered it in and it worked!
cheguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
This method works... obviously. If the cigarette lighter fuse ONLY powers the cigarette lighter, then this method is fine. But in many cases, a fuse is tied to more than one circuit. I have seen many times when a cigarette lighter fuse is tied to the dome lights, stereo main power, etc. If this fuse has more than the cigarette lighter tied to it, then I have to say that I disapprove and disagree with this method.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
turboDean

My Ride: 330CD M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgcsfb View Post
This is very clever! Couple questions: I see you are using an in-line fuse. How many amps it? Also, wouldn't the lighter outlet now be limited to the 5 amp fuse (minus radio draw)?
If you need more power, you could drive a relay from the radio fuse, and switch the full 15 amps across it. Great find!
I would say that is the case yes as he seems to have linked the output of the radio fuse to the output of the lighter fuse so yes would blow the 5amp radio fuse if u tried to power anything over 5 amps instead of the 15 amp it should be able to take...
It could be done with a relay like u say using any switched live to turn the relay on/off.

The other possible way to do it would be to alter the wiring to the back of the fuse box, cut the permanent live that currently supplies the lighter fuse and link the fuse supply to a switchable live (like the supply to the radio fuse) instead.
turboDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
Clever sure, but I don't see how this can be good for the car.

Fuses are separate for a reason.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46 cigarette lighter on