E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Nurburgring coming to the US?

http://m.jalopnik.com/5891398/man-wa...ring-in-nevada
NURBURGRING

Man Wants To Build Exact Copy Of Nürburgring... In Nevada

By Jason Torchinsky,*Mar 8, 2012
Since the greater Las Vegas area only has a copy of Paris, New York, Venice, and alien-occupied ancient Egypt, it's still a good ways away from having a copy of all of Earth's good stuff. Luckily, Bruton Smith, CEO of*Speedway Motorsports, is working to fix that, starting with a copy of the*Nürburgring.In*this interview*on Sirius Sports, Smith reveals that he's been talking to "some Germans" about the possibility of creating an exact duplicate of the Nürburgring in Nevada, likely 10 or so miles away from the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Smith is very confident he can produce an exact replica, and has been talking to both the Governor and the Nevada Bureau of Land Management, who he's hoping will donate 8,000 acres of land for the project. And why wouldn't they? Nevada has plenty of open dirt without any Nürburgrings at all— this could take care of that situation.The Nevada 'Ring wouldn't be used for racing, just test track use, though individuals as well as manufacturers could use it.So what you're saying is that I could be a four hour drive from the Nürburgring, and then moments from $4.99 lobster and the loosest slots in town? Yes, please.

Would be a sweet thing if this goes through..
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Hoping this happens. I'll make yearly road trips out west for this

I wonder if he wants to re create the GP circuit or the entier 13 miles circuit? **Hoping for the latter***

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK

Last edited by BimmerIsMyName; 03-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Even if its 'identical' it still wont be. The climate is different and so would the track surface. It'd almost be smarter to build a mirrored copy...cut down on the US vs German ring comparisons....
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
I wonder how drastic the elevation changes are. Isn't there one stretch that drops by quite a distance? It's kind of hard to remember only having driving it on Grand Turismo. Isn't NV pretty flat? I think that would be more difficult to account for then the climate.

Hell, Pittsburgh has a very similar landscape and climate to Germany, we'd love to have them! I'll bring the shovels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
kidgreek

My Ride: `
^what this guy said.

How are they gonna mimmick the elevation changes? The whole glory of the 'ring is its natural envoironment
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
^^ are you guys joking? They're building islands in the sea in Dubai, and you don't think we can put piles of dirt in specific areas, on land??

There's tons of dirt to dig into, or pile up as required. Any elevation change can easily be replicated.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Yes plz!

IIRC, the ring has something like 1200 feet of elevation change. I don't doubt that we could do it, but at what cost?
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
kidgreek

My Ride: `
Building islands on water is much less difficult than making a mountain with specific elevation changes in the middle of the desert. People have been been creating land on water for a long time now. What do you think Manhattan is?

And besides, the construction boom (bubble really) in Dubai is because Arabs yearn to show off. You think they had net operating income and internal rate of return calculations on those islands before they built them? More like "**** it, it makes us look so awesome and we got tons of money anyways". Those islands are gonna be a huge facepalm 20 years down the road. So what I'm saying is even if they could do something like that in Nevada, it would be extremely costly. And at the end of the day, even if this guy and his company are huge motorsport enthusiasts, they're there to turn a profit.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
I will move to Las Vegas if this is the case
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mike View Post
I will move to Las Vegas if this is the case
I am with this guy...

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
I wonder how drastic the elevation changes are. Isn't there one stretch that drops by quite a distance? It's kind of hard to remember only having driving it on Grand Turismo. Isn't NV pretty flat? I think that would be more difficult to account for then the climate.

Hell, Pittsburgh has a very similar landscape and climate to Germany, we'd love to have them! I'll bring the shovels....
LOL @ Nevada is flat. You're thinking of Kansas.

Central Vegas is very flat, but the entire city is surrounded by mountains. The Strip is about 2,000 ft, LVMS is a little above 2,100 ft, Pahrump is 2,700 ft, Mt Charleston (about 30 miles away from the city) is almost 12,000 ft.

So yeah, there's plenty of elevation change no matter which direction you go from the center of the city. Every freeway into Vegas goes through a mountain pass.

Elevation changes that exactly mimic the Ring? Maybe not. But there's no shortage of undulating land, bed rock, foothills, ridges, etc.

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 03-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
instead, they should just make some other 12+ mile long race course with many turns and elevation changes. That new new
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
LOL @ Nevada is flat. You're thinking of Kansas.

Central Vegas is very flat, but the entire city is surrounded by mountains. The Strip is about 2,000 ft, LVMS is a little above 2,100 ft, Pahrump is 2,700 ft, Mt Charleston (about 30 miles away from the city) is almost 12,000 ft.

So yeah, there's plenty of elevation change no matter which direction you go from the center of the city. Every freeway into Vegas goes through a mountain pass.

Elevation changes that exactly mimic the Ring? Maybe not. But there's no shortage of undulating land, bed rock, foothills, ridges, etc.
LOL @ Kansas is flat. You're thinking of Iowa. But technically speaking, Florida is the most flat state.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
as much as I would love to see this built, if for nothing else than just to see it done, I agree with the above poster, the Green Hell is a classic, because of so many things, why built a replica, why not build a new long circuit in the spirit of the ring. That would get just as much attention without the risk of comparisons to the original.

its like someone saying they want to build a copy of St. Andrews Golf course in Nevada, could they do it, technically sure, but why bother...just build something new
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
I highly doubt they'll clone the elevation changes, but more or so the basic shape. Either way, this should happen, and he'll make a lot of money.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
LOL @ Kansas is flat. You're thinking of Iowa. But technically speaking, Florida is the most flat state.
Full disclosure, the only data I'm going on are: having driven through Kansas, common perception (and we know how accurate that can be), and the first link that comes up on a google search of "how flat is Kansas".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ghereducation2

This year, for instance, three geographers compared the flatness of Kansas to the flatness of a pancake. They used topographic data from a digital scale model prepared by the US Geological Survey, and they purchased a pancake from the International House of Pancakes. If perfect flatness were a value of 1.00, they reported, the calculated flatness of a pancake would be 0.957 "which is pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat". Kansas's flatness however turned out to be 0.997, which they said might be described, mathematically, as "damn flat".

However, since like half of Florida seems to be underwater or about to be underwater, I cannot argue with your claim that it's the flatest state.

It has Sebring already, though, so that point is probably moot.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Full disclosure, the only data I'm going on are: having driven through Kansas, common perception (and we know how accurate that can be), and the first link that comes up on a google search of "how flat is Kansas".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ghereducation2

This year, for instance, three geographers compared the flatness of Kansas to the flatness of a pancake. They used topographic data from a digital scale model prepared by the US Geological Survey, and they purchased a pancake from the International House of Pancakes. If perfect flatness were a value of 1.00, they reported, the calculated flatness of a pancake would be 0.957 "which is pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat". Kansas's flatness however turned out to be 0.997, which they said might be described, mathematically, as "damn flat".

However, since like half of Florida seems to be underwater or about to be underwater, I cannot argue with your claim that it's the flatest state.

It has Sebring already, though, so that point is probably moot.

So we don't have mountains... so what. Having lived in Kansas all my life, there are plenty of hills that you don't want to be pushing your car up in the snow, for example.

We do have Heartland Park, in Topeka. Where I will be spending alot of time this summer.

that semi-circle in the lower left? A banked carousel. Scary as sh!t sometimes
Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
So we don't have mountains... so what. Having lived in Kansas all my life, there are plenty of hills that you don't want to be pushing your car up in the snow, for example.
Get any more butthurt....

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Nevada. Sup.

500px