E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
wasted0087

My Ride: 2002 325XI
How much Brake Fluid do I need?

2002 325XI

I'm looking to replace my Brake Fluid, I'm going to bleed the brakes. Should I flush the brake fluid reservoir? The dealership said they found abnormalities in it. Also if I were to flush it, should I just flush it with water? If so how much? Then when I fill it, how many quarts of brake fluid is needed?
wasted0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
When you bleed the brakes, your reservoir will be flushed as well. You need a quart. Go with ATE Super Blue, blue color will ensure a proper bleed.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Oh man. Don't put water anywhere near there.

Two liters of ate superblue will do the job. You may want to try with a cheaper dot4 fluid if it's your first time. Maybe you should just have the dealer do it. It's not a good job for a beginner.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
water?
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Water!! No!! You'll create more than abnormalities introducing water to your system.

As you bleed down the brakes, keep a sharp eye on the res level and do not run dry or dangerously low. When 3/4 down, add the Blue magic SeanC mentions. It will mix slightly. Add more new fluid as needed watching the color change while bleeding out the old to new, rear to front. If the res has crud in it, wipe it out with a clean, lint free cloth (when low). No flushing will be required.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
you better leave the job to the pro. an indept shop can charge as little as $70-90 for the job. i don't think you know what you are doing based on your question.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
wasted0087

My Ride: 2002 325XI
No I didn't know what I was doing but that's why I asked, I'm going to be doing it with someone who does know what their doing beforehand, I just thought it'd be better for me to get everything I need and figure out what would be done so I'm not left in the dark and can help. I'm still in the learning process with all this, water seemed appropriate to clean something, but now I know it isn't. Thank you everyone, appreciate it.
wasted0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Never ever use water to "clean" the inside(s) of any brake component! As far as needs; purchase 1 or 2 liters of ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, the blue color will let you know you have completely flushed all the old fluid out. Other needs; a 12 inch long piece of vacuum hose to fit over bleeder nipples (this lets you direct the fluid into a catch container without running down the brakes, suspension, etc.), a catch can/container of some sort (a soda bottle will work just fine), the correct size metric box end wrench (a metric line wrench can be used, BUT do not use an open end wrench or a socket), a can of PB Blaster to soak the bleeder screws before trying to open, a floor jack and set of jack stands (never lift a car and work under it in any way, shape or form without supporting it on jack stands, DO NOT trust a jack alone!), and a buddy (easier to flush/bleed the brakes the old 2-person method than using a pressure bleeder, and cheaper, too). After car is jacked up and supported on jack stands in the rear, remove the rear wheels (easier to bleed with the wheels off), spray the bleeder screws with the PB Blaster and let sit/soak for a few minutes. Try to crack open the right rear screw, if it opens, close it, attach the piece of vacuum hose, get your catch container and begin with the right rear (always start with the brake furtherest from the master cylinder) (right rear, left rear, right front, left front). With master cylinder full and cap on, have your helper pump the brake pedal up and hold it on, crack the bleeder screw until fluid squirts out, then close it. Repeat for the right rear until you have blue fluid coming out. Then move to the left rear brake and repeat. Put the wheels back on when complete, torque the lug studs, lower the car after removing the jack stands and move to the front. Repeat procedure for the front starting with the right front (if it is a manual, you should do the clutch slave cylinder before the front brakes). While bleeding/flushing, make sure that you do not let the level of brake fluid go lower than half full in the master cylinder. At each wheel, before starting the flushing/bleeding procedure, inspect the brake hoses for cracks, replace any cracked hose before flushing/bleeding (if you have to replace any brake hoses, here I would spend the extra money and purchase a set of stainless steel brake hoses, they last a long time and they will give the blake pedal a firmer feel). When complete, top off the master cylinder again.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Sounds like this will be your first time bleeding brakes. We did a video not long ago on our E90 M3 (similar process on the E46) showing how to bleed the brakes properly, I've embedded it below. Most of the time one bottles of fluid is enough to properly flush the system, but if it's your first time you might want a spare.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote