E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Vosvera

My Ride: E46 M3
SMG Issues (I need a tissue)

SO. I've finally decided to share my unfortunate experiences with the rest of the world.

My M3 has been having issues since I bought it in July of this year. The first issue I'd like to address is it has been falling out of gear on and off since I purchased it. When driving down the road, it would randomly fall out of gear and drop into "N", I would have to pull over on the side of the road. I tried shutting it down completely and waiting a few minutes, and to my suprise, after starting it again, it would go back into gear and I would be able to drive it. This has occured about 4 times. On the 3rd time it wouldn't start and I had to get it towed to a local shop. The mechanic installed a new altinator and she fired up without problems. He also used a diagnostic tool to see if any codes came up, and they did. He reset the codes and I was on my merry way... Until the fourth time.

The fourth time I was able to start it, and drive it around town for 5 minutes, until she fell out of gear again. I parked it on the side of the street and turned it off. I tried waiting with it off for a few hours, and it wouldn't start upon retrying, so i had it towed again. This time I did research online and found that the Salmon colored relay might need to be replaced as the symptoms matched that solution. (At this point the car wouldn't even prime when i unlocked the doors like it did before)

I installed the new salmon relay and reset the car's electronics by disconnecting the battery terminals and reconnecting them after a 20 minute wait. I unlocked the doors (and didn't hear a priming noise), put the keys in the ignition (electronics worked), tried to start the car and it made a funny noise above the steering wheel that i hadn't heard before, and wouldn't start. I had it towed to the stealership and they said it needed a new hydraulic pump and a slave cylinder, and potentially a clutch (they said the clutch arm was overextended).

anyone have any thoughts on this?
Vosvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Yes, did you try taking off the negative terminal for 5 hours straight? Do that..then get back to us to see whats next and if not I suggest you open your check book up, but not to the stealership find another shop

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
There are a few items that are relatively inexpensive that can cause this, but you'll want to get your codes read ASAP to narrow down what the issue may be.
First off are the hood sensors, they are known to fail and can drop you out of gear.
Other symptoms you mentioned are similar to what happens if the driver gets out of the seat, so it is possible though I've yet to hear of such an instance that the weight sensor in the driver seat has gone bad.
Check the Hydraulic Fluid for the SMG pump (it's the cap beside the intake manifold)
Other possibilities are the compression springs which are a PITA to get to but relatively inexpensive or the temp sensor for the hydraulic fluid.
Again, the codes will need to be read, not just cleared to fully diagnose the issues.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
So, those codes that your mechanic erased. Do you know what they were.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
So, those codes that your mechanic erased. Do you know what they were.
This. We need to know what the codes are and why does your mechanic think erasing then is going to fix it?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
there is a service to the SMG pump, the ball and spring same time change the transmission fluid
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
hoonpv

My Ride: Ford Falcon
You are ****ed bro! Smg pump time

Tags
2003 m3, bmw, dropping out of gear, e46, smg