E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
I hope my E46 don't get jelly

cuz i got a new german beauty to mess around with.

Im fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally a pistol owner. Meet my new HK USP9. I was dwelling on this purchase for easily a year. It wasn't the initial cost that had me worried, but the fact that it is a commitment for many more expenses. Ammo, cleaning supplies, range fees, targets etc etc.

The case. You'll see some obvious photoshops to conceal the serial #

The included paperwork. It also came with a barrel lock (not pictured)

Unlike other cases ive seen, it appears the cost i paid went entirely into the gun. No laser cut custom foam interior or extras like gun/mag holster. Even the second mag is a 10 rounder, a beater range mag perhaps? The mag in the gun is standard cap.

Misc Pics

I have yet to christen it at the range, which brings me to a few questions:

Any Deals on Ammo???
I've done a little searching online, is this the best deal i can get? 1000rounds for $215~$220. Im open to recommendations of brands or places to buy.
http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124-g...s-1000-rounds#

The above puts me at roughly $11 for a 50rd box whereas the ranges charge $16 lol.

Classes
How do you guys feel about those introductory new handgun owner classes. The store i bought it from has a 4hr class for just under $200. Is it worthwhile or do you recommend i watch some youtube vids for the most important bits.

Also, anyone here ever get a private instruct for training at the range? worthwhile or should i just save the money for ammo?

Supplies
Ive purchased a cleaning kit, extra cotton patches and cleaner spray. Anything else you guys recommend?

Thanks for looking!
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
t.bird

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Nice piece! Walmart generally has the best prices on local ammo. Either that or looks for a sale at a local gun store or order online.

As a fairly new shooter, I have learned a TON on youtube. I think at first, you really need to play around at the range for a while to get a feel of what shooting is like. I needed to blast off several hundred rounds before I got past the initial "new shooter" fun and wanted to train. Honestly, the best thing I have done is start shooting local competitive events. Plate rack competitions, IDPA style events...you would be amazed how much there is to learn. I spent 2 months just working on a proper grip, and have been working on trigger control for a while now....which seems like a never ending process.

I would say, research basics and trigger control until you can get the round on target, every time...then invest in some private training on a level above what your local gun store is going to offer.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Is that a used Post-ban USP, or is that the Chicago special?

Beginner handgun courses are okay, but you're likely not going to get a ton out of 4 hours of instruction beyond the basic operation and shooting of it. That's okay, don't get me wrong, but just be aware that it's not going to be Navy SEAL training .
Also, $200 for 4hrs is ridiculously expensive. Top level training courses run $200-$300 per full day, and most days are 10hrs or more. Anything over $125 for 4 hours better be taught by DEVGRU or include a massage with happy ending.

Edit:
In re internet/YouTube, be careful what you take away from the internet. There are a lot of morons on there passing along bad habits. Case in point- I watched a video this morning of a guy saying that you should learn to NOT use your sights when shooting.
Just be aware of who you are watching.
One I would recommend would be ssdsurf of Specialized Services Group. He's a cop in Hawaii and is a solid shooter.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-17-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I want one of those
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
that is one good looking gun
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I love USPs...I'll never sell mine. Nice choice!

I have to agree about the cases they provide...they straight-up suck. Glock is only marginally better. Springfield give really really nice setups with the pistol as far as their cases and accessories go; I was stunned when I saw an XDs last week and everything it came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Anything over $125 for 4 hours better be taught by DEVGRU or include a massage with happy ending

In all seriousness though, I'd pay a fortune to be taught from scratch by a DEVGRU veteran...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.bird View Post
Nice piece! Walmart generally has the best prices on local ammo. Either that or looks for a sale at a local gun store or order online.
Do Walmarts in the midwest even sell guns/ammo? Ill have to admit i intentionally avoid Walmart because they depress teh crap out of me. I have a feeling only Walmarts in the south sell guns & ammo.

Quote:
Is that a used Post-ban USP, or is that the Chicago special?

Also, $200 for 4hrs is ridiculously expensive.

Case in point- I watched a video this morning of a guy saying that you should learn to NOT use your sights when shooting.
Just be aware of who you are watching.
One I would recommend would be ssdsurf of Specialized Services Group. He's a cop in Hawaii and is a solid shooter.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf
To clarify, i live outside the restrictive city of chicago. I assume the gun i purchased is a standard or typical with the sa/da and decocker.

Agreed on the cost, looks like some gun store markup on a elementary class. If i spend money on classes i'll look for more substance.

I think i might have seen that no-sights video. I couldn't continue watching after he was like "i know i'm seeing some dumbfounded faces, let me explain.." lol no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
that is one good looking gun
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I love USPs...I'll never sell mine. Nice choice!

I have to agree about the cases they provide...they straight-up suck. Glock is only marginally better. Springfield give really really nice setups with the pistol as far as their cases and accessories go; I was stunned when I saw an XDs last week and everything it came with.
Yea the other case i saw was the XDs, it was like christmas when the case was opened. However i have no need for any carrying extras since this is a full sized gun and IL will likely never allow it in my lifetime.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I just happened to notice that it shows 10rd magazines. Is the gun used?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
daedalus34r

Quote:
I just happened to notice that it shows 10rd magazines. Is the gun used?
nope, brand new. the 10rounder caught me off guard. The primary is still 15 or 16, whatever the standard is.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Turn it into a designated range mag then.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
Do Walmarts in the midwest even sell guns/ammo? Ill have to admit i intentionally avoid Walmart because they depress teh crap out of me. I have a feeling only Walmarts in the south sell guns & ammo.

They should, even Walmart in California sells ammo. Best price on 9mm I've found barring bulk buys online.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Turn it into a designated range mag then.
that's exactly what im going to do. I dont like loading more than 10 shots anyway since i need to review my accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
They should, even Walmart in California sells ammo. Best price on 9mm I've found barring bulk buys online.
How much is their price? I found 124gr Aguila 9mm for $10/box, I haven't seen any bad reviews online and even with shipping it's still a good deal when purchased in bulk.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
that's exactly what im going to do. I dont like loading more than 10 shots anyway since i need to review my accuracy.

How much is their price? I found 124gr Aguila 9mm for $10/box, I haven't seen any bad reviews online and even with shipping it's still a good deal when purchased in bulk.
I hate going to Walmart. Can't stand it, so online for me. As long as you're in the ballpark of 20-22 cents a round, you're good to go. Aguilar is also pretty good stuff, I'm finishing the 1k I bought a few months ago
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
MasterNater

My Ride: '03 Silver Vert M3
How many of you guys buy your ammo from Walmart? Yeah, it's the cheapest stuff around, but that's exactly what it is - cheap. Would you guys put cheap gasoline in your M3? I never will. Same thing goes with ammo. You'll find the brand you like the best, so I'm not going to ramble on about which brands are better. But do remember: you get what you pay for. (And yes, you can get nicer rounds at Walmart. Just don't get the cheapest stuff)
MasterNater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNater View Post
How many of you guys buy your ammo from Walmart? Yeah, it's the cheapest stuff around, but that's exactly what it is - cheap. Would you guys put cheap gasoline in your M3? I never will. Same thing goes with ammo. You'll find the brand you like the best, so I'm not going to ramble on about which brands are better. But do remember: you get what you pay for. (And yes, you can get nicer rounds at Walmart. Just don't get the cheapest stuff)
I've never had a problem with federal 9mm. 0 malfunctions. And it's the cheapest brass case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
MasterNater

My Ride: '03 Silver Vert M3
Yeah, I've had minimal problems with federal. Hmm... At my Walmart, federal isn't the cheapest. (Usually Remington is)
MasterNater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Tula is the cheapest at my Walmart.

ETA: non brass that is. Winchester White Box is the cheapest brass

Last edited by Serbonze; 11-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNater View Post
Yeah, I've had minimal problems with federal. Hmm... At my Walmart, federal isn't the cheapest. (Usually Remington is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post

My Walmart has federal 9mm for 19.98 per 100. Wwb is about $24 per 100 round bulk pack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post

Online ive seen Tula being the cheapest, but steel casing seems to have a bad reputation. Who would want to use steel, certain pistols its okay?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
I had the BB gun to that lol so much fun and looks the exact same
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote