E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstowalls View Post
I had the BB gun to that lol so much fun and looks the exact same

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNater View Post
How many of you guys buy your ammo from Walmart? Yeah, it's the cheapest stuff around, but that's exactly what it is - cheap. Would you guys put cheap gasoline in your M3? I never will. Same thing goes with ammo. You'll find the brand you like the best, so I'm not going to ramble on about which brands are better. But do remember: you get what you pay for. (And yes, you can get nicer rounds at Walmart. Just don't get the cheapest stuff)
I hear this argument the most. That's like saying you're going to put race gas into your E46 for a roadtrip.

I'm ok spending extra on premium JHP, but on range blasting ammo? Gimme the cheap stuff. I dislike Tula b/c its dirty, but the cheap brass stuff? I'll shoot it out of my glock all day.
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
MasterNater

My Ride: '03 Silver Vert M3
Well yeah, I wouldn't put racing gas in my car to drive around town either, but I wouldn't put cheap gas in my car for driving around town either. I don't like crappy ammo in my gun. I don't like when ammo jams, and ammo seems to jam and misfire more often with cheap ammo.
But you're absolutely correct, don't get the most expensive ammo just for plinking at the range.
MasterNater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
MasterNater

My Ride: '03 Silver Vert M3
But to the OP, you'll get a good life out of your gun even if you put cheap ammo through it as long as you always immediately clean it afterwards.
MasterNater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNater View Post
But to the OP, you'll get a good life out of your gun even if you put cheap ammo through it as long as you always immediately clean it afterwards.
thats the plan, the manual straight up says to clean it after every use so that is what i'll do.

What do the rest of you guys do for book keeping about usage?

For my shotgun i have a small soft cover moleskin notebook with date/shells/trap score columns.

I was thinking for the usp i would do: date, (ammo) brand, rounds, comments (for FTE/FTF remarks).

anything i should add?
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
I don't. I go to the range and shoot, or I go to a class and shoot. Then I go home and I may or may not clean my guns. Then I smile and have a coke.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Practice ammo for pistol is relatively consistent across the board for pistol loads. I hear very few reports of bad commercially-sold brass case ammunition. The caveat is that it depends on the gun, as certain guns can be picky with ammunition (match grade 1911s, for example). I hear more problems with people buying bulk reloaded/remanufactured ammo from gun shows where the "manufacturer" is not a reliable source (and generally not insured or using the proper equipment).
Using the Tula/Wolfshit/etc comm-bloc ammo is sort of a mixed bag. For the most part its okay, but you encounter different conditions to deal with like excess wear on gun parts and lower power ammunition.

Winchester USA (white box) is pretty dirty stuff and I avoid it, as I also avoid Remington UMC, S&B, Herters, UltraMax and PPU brass. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use them if they were the only thing available.
I do prefer to use Federal American Eagle, Speer Lawman or Magtech, but personal experience has taught me that pistol ammo is more reliable and less finicky than rifle ammo.
Just my $0.02.

Quote:

I don't for most of my guns. I only record round count for my precision rifles, and for that I have Storm Tactical sniper log books.
With carbines and pistols, it's not really all that necessary. You can if you want to, but if you just keep mind a ballpark figure, it's just as good. The only reason to have a general understanding of round count for duty/defense grade weapons is for maintenance purposes.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
I learned a ton from Magpul's videos/DVDs. Maybe try that out?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
When I was new to shooting, I had the same question about training. I came to the decision that I'd rather err on the side of caution. I took the basic handgun safety course at the Sig Academy in New Hampshire. I'm glad I did, even if you think you know what you need to, you'll probably be reminded of something you forgot.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Online ive seen Tula being the cheapest, but steel casing seems to have a bad reputation. Who would want to use steel, certain pistols its okay?

I've used steel casing ammo with out any issues in my Sig P229 and my Springfield 1911.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
daedalus34r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I don't for most of my guns. I only record round count for my precision rifles, and for that I have Storm Tactical sniper log books.
With carbines and pistols, it's not really all that necessary. You can if you want to, but if you just keep mind a ballpark figure, it's just as good. The only reason to have a general understanding of round count for duty/defense grade weapons is for maintenance purposes.
Sounds about right. I think I'll go ahead and keep a log since it takes little effort. The engineer in me craves some form of documentation.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
daedalus34r

some questions about cleaning. I have yet to try out my usp, but im reading around that i should clean it first. I couldn't find anything in the manual about that. Is it necessary to clean before using it for the first time?

Also, what cleaning products do you like and how do you use them.

I have:
- Rem Oil (gel bottle, not aerosol)
- M Pro7
- Kleen Bore 9mm cleaning kit that comes with a solvent/solution

Should i use the Mpro on internals including the inside of the barrel THEN use Rem Oil or the kleenbore solvent for lubrication? Any other cleaning products you recommend?

Last edited by daedalus34r; 11-30-2012 at 09:04 AM.