E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
carswithnoreserve

My Ride: bmw m3
HELP! Wheres my amp on BMW m3 e46 cabriolet!!

Hi people! Im tearing my hair out trying to locate the amp on wifes E46 m3 (with factory nav, NON Harmon kardon) year 2003 right hand drive, uk car. Ive stripped out the boot, on the nearside inner wing is the rds box, autochanger, and nav drive, mounted further back in the boot against the back of the rear seats is the tv control module box, ive also had the rear door cards off, no amp there, ive checked the wiring from nearside rear speakers and this joins the wiring loom going forward towards the front of the car, this infers amp would be towards the front. The wires from the nearside speaker are solid yellow one, and a solid brown wire, twisted together. Ive had the front factory widescreen tv unit out to check the wiring on this, to see if the amp is integral, and it isnt, the wires colour codeing and thickness in no way correlate with the rear speakers, ive had the glove box area stripped, and the drivers side stripped, cannot find it anywhere and am tearing my hair out! HELP!!!
carswithnoreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You don't have an amp if you don't have HK. The head unit powers the speakers (poorly).

I think your amp is here:

Took me less than 2 minutes to find on google...................................................... ....

Last edited by WDE46; 12-13-2012 at 08:17 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
All US E46s have amplifiers. I believe they'd both be in the same place.

Or you could try:

Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
All e46 has amp whether with or without HK.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
All e46 has amp whether with or without HK.
The should have read, All "US" E46's have amps in the rear left side of the trunk whether is has the upgraded HK audio or not. That is not true in other markets of the world. There are three levels of stereos: 6 speaker where head unit powers the speakers, 10-speaker with 10-channel amp in the back behind the trunk liner and HK with two amps in the back, an 8-channel mounted behind the trunk liner and a small amp mounted to the rear deck subwoofer (on the convertible the woofer may be mounted somewhere else, I don't know for sure.)
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
WDE46

Oh my bad. I thought non-HK didn't have an amp. Anyway, that photo I posted is where several other people on other forums found it.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I was always under the impression that the amp is in the trunk.

If not, then wtf is that box sticking out of the top of my trunk that says HK?
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
I was always under the impression that the amp is in the trunk.

If not, then wtf is that box sticking out of the top of my trunk that says HK?
That box on the roof of your trunk is the "subwoofer" box. The sub amplifier is attached. You should toss that POS and get a Infinity Basslink to balance out your system.

My coupe's amp is in the trunk on the left side under the carpet and behind some steel framing. It's not convenient to access at all. Maybe convertibles have a different setup.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That box on the roof of your trunk is the "subwoofer" box. The sub amplifier is attached. You should toss that POS and get a Infinity Basslink to balance out your system.
I'm usually one to try searching, but you seem like you know what you're talking about. Recommend me something if you could, and I'll further the research on it.

I don't know anything about sound systems. My last BMW was ripped apart of a sound system, it didn't have a "subwoofer", had two Alpine Type-Rs in the back working with a stock amp, and half the speakers inside the cabin were missing (bought the car at an auction this way).

When I got into the M, the sound system felt heavenly. It seems so clear, even at really high volumes, no matter what the song is.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 12-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
I'm usually one to try searching, but you seem like you know what you're talking about. Recommend me something if you could, and I'll further the research on it.

I don't know anything about sound systems. My last BMW was ripped apart of a sound system, it didn't have a "subwoofer", had two Alpine Type-Rs in the back working with a stock amp, and half the speakers inside the cabin were missing (bought the car at an auction this way).

When I got into the M, the sound system felt heavenly. It seems so clear, even at really high volumes, no matter what the song is.
You won't know what the HK is missing until you upgrade or listen to a friends system. My old roommate had a $5000 stereo system for our apartment and I now know what my music is supposed to sound like. The HK mostly lacks any sort of low range. It'll start dropping off below 90 Hz pretty fast (a rough estimate). If you put in a small sub, you can turn the bass down for the stock speakers so they can spend their time playing stuff that's actually in their range. You want a sub that can help support <100Hz sound.

I installed my Basslink a month or so ago, and I have been very happy with it. It provides adequate bass for the music I like. Think The Rolling Stones "Miss You" or the Alabama Shakes "Hold On" for examples of the music that sounds best with the Basslink. It is not a hiphop sub, though it'll still provide much better bass than the stock 64 watt twin 6x9 speakers. I recommend this setup for these reasons:

1. pretty cheap ($200 for Basslink, $50 on install parts)
2. compact size fits behind wheel well over battery in trunk
3. frequency response of 40-120 Hz covers the missing range of the HK system
4. simple install b/c the amp is built into the housing.

Here is where the basslink fits with my custom mounting bracket. Maybe I'll post a thread with pictures of the bracket I made and how I made it. There is a DIY that I semi-followed to do it.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Just order speakers and sub package from bavariansoundwerks not sure if that's spelled right hahaha

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers

Last edited by sakumaxp; 12-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote