E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question Anyone Experience Melted Headlight Wires?

My right front headlight went out some time ago. Originally I just figured it needed a replacement bulb, but the mechanic said the wires were fused/melted together to the point of needing a new housing.
I took it to another place that specializes in BMW's, and they said they could probably fix/repair the wires. As it turns out they said they were unable to fix it.
They also said this is a common problem they see among BMW's with Bi-Xenon Adaptive headlights like mine.

Considering the cost of replacing the entire housing and possibly other components like the ignitor, ballast, D2(?) and bulb, how does anyone other than the uber rich deal with such an issue? I mean they are talking about at least $1,000 & probably more to replace it, which is

Last edited by VECTOR; 11-17-2012 at 09:06 AM.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Hard to believe that it cannot be fixed. If you were closer to me, I would have a go at it. Just because they said they could not fix may just mean they are unable, unwilling, do not know how, do not have the material or time.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
I wish you were closer as well. Want two 50 yard line tickets to the Dolphins vs. Seahawks game this coming Sunday in exchange for the repair?

I brought it to them specifically because they said they have experience fixing this problem. However several guys in the shop said it was too far into the housing to get at since all the wires were melted/fused together.
They did not charge me for the attempt even though they had at least an hour into it. Nor did they try to talk me into getting it repaired with new parts. The owner even said he would lay out that type of money.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
you can always look at a junk yard or someone parting out parts on this site.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote