E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Towing an XI

Unbeknownst to me, my '01 XI was wrongfully towed from my lot early this morning. After talking to the apartment management, apparently because of some technicality I wasn't aware of, it's a legal tow.

They towed it 4.6 miles away. In my Bently it says that a flatbed should be used for towing an XI, however if it's a short enough distance, a dolly is acceptable. I don't know how they towed my car, and furthermore, it's de-badged so they couldn't have known it was an XI.

Is 4.6 miles considered a short distance? I'm picking my car up before they close today and want some advice on how to handle this. Does it make a difference if they put the front wheels in the air or the rear wheels? My car is manual and was in first gear with the e-brake on. So I'm assuming that means they have to use a flat bed right? Is there anything I can do if they tell me they used a dolly?

Thanks guys

Last edited by TR4G-; 02-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
They may have broke in and put it in neutral before dragging it.

Rear control arms are probably screwed if they grabbed it from the back not using the tow hook.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
If it was in neutral you should be ok. Just check that there aren't any damage marks on the suspension components and you should be ok. Tow trucks usually break into a vehicle and take off the brake and move your stick to neutral. If they didn't and towed your car, there would be lots of bad things.

Does the car drive ok now?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post
If it was in neutral you should be ok. Just check that there aren't any damage marks on the suspension components and you should be ok. Tow trucks usually break into a vehicle and take off the brake and move your stick to neutral. If they didn't and towed your car, there would be lots of bad things.

Haven't picked it up yet. About to :figerscrossed:

Kubica, can I hold the towing company liable for damages? Is it difficult to prove? I feel like they probably deal with this crap every day and will deny it
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post

How would they break into a car like an e46 where you can't wire hanger it? And how would they put an automatic trans into neutral without the key?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
How would they break into a car like an e46 where you can't wire hanger it? And how would they put an automatic trans into neutral without the key?
Dude, get out of the xi forum. We don't need your comments.

He said its a manual and you can use an airbag to get in.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Haven't picked it up yet. About to :figerscrossed:

Kubica, can I hold the towing company liable for damages? Is it difficult to prove? I feel like they probably deal with this crap every day and will deny it
I would take a video of how your car is parked and video the scumbag tow guys when you ask them how it was towed.

Don't get defensive at first. Tow companies are the scum of the earth and the drivers are all convicted fellons and almost always carry a weapon. Being a tough guy wont get you anywhere. I would probably ask for the insurance card for the tow truck and tell them you will make a claim.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
TR4G-

got it back. all is well :phew: they used a dolly, but one that had those little wheels on the grounded wheels

Last edited by TR4G-; 02-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

First of all, I didn't make any comments so stop being a pretentious douche.
Secondly, I was asking general questions not directly related to OP.
I was kinda hoping to gain knowledge because that's the sole purpose of a forum.
I guess it's true what they say. Everyone from Boston is a dick.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-11-2013 at 03:05 PM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Kubica

Quote:
First of all, I didn't make any comments so stop being a pretentious douche.
Secondly, I was asking general questions not directly related to OP.
I was kinda hoping to gain knowledge because that's the sole purpose of a forum.
I guess it's true what they say. Everyone from Boston is a dick.
This isn't a free-for-all like the general forum. xi forum can still be used for reference, as long as people like you don't muck up the place.

I personally don't want you to feel comfortable posting here. There was no xi forum for nine years and it's doesn't take long to find an old thread where rwd-ers give bad advice to xi guys, wasting their time and money. We don't post in the 'vert or m3 forum, so don't post here.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
peytonracer4

Once again, I gave no advice in this thread. I was simply here to learn.
Your reading comprehension is non existent isn't it?

And I can post anywhere I please. Maybe you should head back to nazi Germany.
I hope you don't leave your little xi sub forum with your trolling. Keep your uselessness in here where it can be contained.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Quote:
Once again, I gave no advice in this thread. I was simply here to learn.
Your reading comprehension is

And I can post anywhere I please. Maybe you should head back to nazi Germany.
I hope you don't leave your little xi sub forum with your trolling. Keep your uselessness in here where it can be contained.
This guy is a pathetic imbecile with nothing to offer but insults and typical internet bully insecurities. Ignore him.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilone View Post
This guy is a pathetic imbecile with nothing to offer but insults and typical internet bully insecurities. Ignore him.
Will do I didn't realize his trolling was so widespread. Ill just leave him to trot around and pretend like his Internet balls and bigger than everyone else's no need to feed to troll I suppose.

Sorry for the unneeded thread jack OP. was originally just trying to understand how a towing company gets in a car and changes an auto gearbox to get it moving. Glad to hear all is well with your ride.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-11-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Not pointing fingers one way or the other BUT for some reason this scene came immediately to mind. At least the first 48 seconds.

Last edited by GCoop; 02-11-2013 at 04:53 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
TR4G-

Quote:
Glad to hear all is well with your ride.
thanks peyton, all is well cept that damn steering rack
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
thanks peyton, all is well cept that damn steering rack
Did you ever contact rackdoctor or were you looking to buy elsewhere?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilone View Post
Parts counter guy calling me an imbecile is pretty funny! I just read through your 22 posts and there's a review of Dorman regulators and some generic brakes you push at work. Way to contribute to the forum big guy.

Did you ever find the dishes in your dash?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Quote:

As usual Kubica thinks he is the king here and nobody else should be here. Nice way to treat others here. One of the reasons there is very little activity on this forum.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 02-11-2013 at 10:03 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
As usual Kubica thinks he is the king here and nobody else should be here. Nice way to treat others here. One of the reasons there is very little activity on this forum.
There's a lot of activity on this forum?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Quote:
Parts counter guy calling me an imbecile is pretty funny! I just read through your 22 posts and there's a review of Dorman regulators and some generic brakes you push at work. Way to contribute to the forum big guy.

Did you ever find the dishes in your dash?
Nope, the dishes are still a mystery doctor stalker. Maybe you can offer something helpful rather than your normal stupid insults that are really just a reflection of you. Imbecile is as imbecile does... I am a little curious (not that it matters one iota and if you actually think that one's profession is a gauge of them as a person, then you are even more clueless and vacuous than you appear and I feel deeply sorry for you), what do you do for a living Copernicus?

I have 1st hand experience with both the Dorman regulators and the so called "generic brakes" which I offered info on. That IS contributing.. hello? If you know anything about E46s, you know that the factory regulators have inherent problems so it should not be a matter of degradation to try another brand, which I have done and will be offering periodic updates as to their performance. If you prefer the OEM problematic ones at three times the price for elitist sake, good for you but more enlightened people such as myself will look for better options and report our findings which according to your brilliant logic, is somehow not contributing lol.

Also as I mentioned before, which you continue to ignore: I do not benefit in ANY way if anyone uses said, above mentioned products. My motives are completely altruistic. I have benefited greatly from this group and will continue to offer help in any way I can.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote