E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
KSims1868

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
VCG replacement planned - anything else I should do?

My '01 325i has about 125k miles on it. Runs great and no complaints or worries.

I'm going to perform the VCG replacement this week while I'm on vacation. While I'm in there doing that...is there anything else I should go ahead and accomplish while I've got it taken apart? Figured if there's anything else I could knock out I might as well do it now while I'm under there.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
You could consider doing your vanos seals...

This, however, will make the job take about 2 to 3 times longer than VCG alone.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
Let me know if you want any pricing. Black Friday the whole site is setup to give UP To 90% OFF.

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
KSims1868

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
This is a job I need to accomplish in 1 morning/afternoon because I can't be without my car for more than a day. I've seen the "how to" video, and I don't suspect it will take much more than a couple hours to do the VCG.
KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
A lot of people consider doing their plugs with the VCG. I personally don't feel like plugs are that difficult to do that doing them with VCG really saves you much effort. But, if yours are due - might as well do them.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
If you are doing VCG and VANOS seals plus the plugs hasnt been done. Its a good time to do both, may be add O2 sensors if you want to.
It will take around 4-6 hours if you do the VANOS together with VCG.
Try not to use victor reinz VCG. I changed mine in march and it leaked in August.
Now I put the Elring gasket, hopefully it wont leak.

PS: Use a torque wrench. Do not try to guess the torques on the VC bolts, you will break them. And those studs and capnuts are almost $10 a set from the dealership. You need 15(if you break them all), so careful with them.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Sh*t, I just bought a victor reinz gasket from BMA...

VANOS seals are a good idea, since they're under the valve cover. Spark plugs can be done without taking the valve cover off.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
Sh*t, I just bought a victor reinz gasket from BMA...

VANOS seals are a good idea, since they're under the valve cover. Spark plugs can be done without taking the valve cover off.
May be victor reinz rectified the issue. May be it was just a bad batch. However, there were many people experiencing leaky VCG after replacing it with Victor reinz within a couple of months. Includes me too.

Right on the plugs. But since OP is doing it as a PM, he might as well do the plugs and VANOS seals.
I would never want to visit that area of the engine again, so I'd wrap up the plugs and VANOS seals.

But I had to visit the same area 8 times in 6 months due the leaky VCG. Now I can do the VCG in an hour and half.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
That sucks...I don't have any leaks, but figure at 100k it's time to just do it preventatively.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
That sucks...I don't have any leaks, but figure at 100k it's time to just do it preventatively.
I would not touch VCG if it's not leaking or you are doing VANOS seals. I did VCG and VANOS together because i had a small leak. I just compounded the leak it seems. May be the VC warped, but that is one place I would not recommended going in as a preventive maintenance. Other's have had success, me not so lucky.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
There are some items where preventative maintenance could save your ass. VCG is not one of them.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
There are some items where preventative maintenance could save your ass. VCG is not one of them.
+1
Dont touch it if you are not leaking.