E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
ralph s3

My Ride: M3
Electronic Thottle Issue

I have a really frustrating issue with my M3.

Last year I started having a problem with the throttle. Every morning when itís cold the car will start and then immediately drop into limp mode (EML, DSC lights on). The fix is to simply let the engine run for 30 seconds. Stop the engine and then restart. Then all works as it should. The fault doesnít usually reoccur until the following (cold) morning regardless how many times I use it during the day. It only reoccurs if it is a really cold day and the engine is allowed to get stone cold.

I plugged in a reader and according to INPA the fault is [107: Electric Throttle: Self-Test]. There are no other codes. Essentially it appears to be failing the throttle self test before engine start but only if itís really cold.

This is definitely temperature related as this problem did not occur even once throughout the summer. Now we have had a couple of cold days (say less than 4 degrees) and its doing it again. Apart from this the car works absolutely perfectly. Has anyone the slightest idea what this might be? Iím guessing that something is measuring out of spec when itís very cold. Given that it will pass after the engine has been allowed to run for only 30 secs I assume it must be something directly connected to the cylinder head or the block itself because I doubt there is any measurable change in the temp of the ancillaries after such a short time.

All ideas welcomed.

Ralph
ralph s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
One of your potentiometers is failing or already failed. There's 3 of them. One on the gas pedal, one by the oil filter and one under the intake manifold. You need somebody with software, I know GT1 works, to have the faults read and tell you which one is failing. Take it to an Indy shop if nobody has software.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
ralph s3

My Ride: M3
I did wonder if it mght be linked to the TPS. From a quick scan on google it seems that the easy to get at one at the front of the engine is the most likely culprit.

I note the TPS part no. is the same for the oil filter position and under the intake manifold. I think I'll buy a new one and swap it out starting with the one by the oil filter.

R
ralph s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Yes it's the same part number. The one under the intake manifold is a b1tch to get too. Start with the oil filter one and the gas pedal. They are fvcking easy to fix.