E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #301
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
I feel a deadlift is the single greatest strength lift benchmark
Why (..I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just playing devil's advocate )? One could say the same thing about the squat.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #302
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Why (..I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just playing devil's advocate )? One could say the same thing about the squat.
I would agree that the squat is the single best indicator of overall strength. It seems like every so often you see people that happen to have a really big dead but a weak squat, but Never the reverse.

Big squat = big dead
Big dead =/ big squat

Just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #303
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Eh. Not really. Deadlift incorporates the entire body. Squat doesn't
DonaldE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #304
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
I deadlifted 480ish in high school and I didn't think it meant a thing. I don't think deadlifting helps anything other than wearing you out.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #305
Glight

I think the squat is a better indicator as upping your squat will usually up your deadlift, but not viceversa. I can increase my dead without deadlifting, but I can't say that for the squat
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #306
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
I deadlifted 480ish in high school and I didn't think it meant a thing. I don't think deadlifting helps anything other than wearing you out.
that's a pretty insane deadlift for highschool? good for you

I believe the squat is the king of all exercises, and the greatest indicator of strength imo.

If performed to parallel or just below, the squat works your quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes etc. while involving your abdominals / lower & upper back for stability as well as shoulders & arms holding the bar.

You aren't squatting big numbers if your upper body & core isn't able to stabilize and support the weight etc... if you had a big leg press number but your upper body was weak you wouldn't be able to squat much for example, despite having strong legs.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #307
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I would agree that the squat is the single best indicator of overall strength. It seems like every so often you see people that happen to have a really big dead but a weak squat, but Never the reverse.

Big squat = big dead
Big dead =/ big squat

Just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Yea you guys are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
that's a pretty insane deadlift for highschool? good for you

I believe the squat is the king of all exercises, and the greatest indicator of strength imo.

If performed to parallel or just below, the squat works your quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes etc. while involving your abdominals / lower & upper back for stability as well as shoulders & arms holding the bar.

You aren't squatting big numbers if your upper body & core isn't able to stabilize and support the weight etc... if you had a big leg press number but your upper body was weak you wouldn't be able to squat much for example, despite having strong legs.
My lower back is fried on this new program. In a good way though.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #308
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Squat > deadlift.
IMO
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #309
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Eh. Not really. Deadlift incorporates the entire body. Squat doesn't
How do you figure that? My entire body is wrecked after squats, ESPECIALLY after front squats.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #310
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
After heavy dead lift. I mostly hurt at hamstring glutes and back. Sometimes shoulder.
After heavy squats I can barely walk and glutes and lower back hurts upper body feels fine.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #311
DylloS

Quote:
How do you figure that? My entire body is wrecked after squats, ESPECIALLY after front squats.
That's weird because front squats get less of the body involved than back squats.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #312
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Front squats should involve more of the body. It hits your core much more than back squats IMO. And the glutes

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 02-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #313
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Front squats should involve more of the body. It hits your core much more than back squats IMO. And the glutes
Back squat, as far as I always read gets way more of the back, full leg involved than the front squat. I could be wrong but I've experienced more "beat down" feeling from back squats than front.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #314
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Back squat, as far as I always read gets way more of the back, full leg involved than the front squat. I could be wrong but I've experienced more "beat down" feeling from back squats than front.
Then you're not front squatting effectively/properly (..or heavy enough to truly realize how hard your body works to front squat).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360781337
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #315
DylloS

Quote:
Then you're not front squatting effectively/properly (..or heavy enough to truly realize how hard your body works to front squat).
You've seen my form. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right and almost fell over pushing myself hard lol
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #316
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
You've seen my form. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right and almost fell over pushing myself hard lol
I'd wager that the reason why you feel that your back squat is more taxing is because your front squat isn't very heavy. I promise you, when that weight gets heavy, you'll understand what we mean. The back squat doesn't blast your core like the front squat, and I'd wager that the CNS is worked harder during the front squat as well. I love the FS, but I experience anxiety on FS days. I know I'm going to get worked!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360782623
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #317
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
I'd wager that the reason why you feel that your back squat is more taxing is because your front squat isn't very heavy. I promise you, when that weight gets heavy, you'll understand what we mean. The back squat doesn't blast your core like the front squat, and I'd wager that the CNS is worked harder during the front squat as well. I love the FS, but I experience anxiety on FS days. I know I'm going to get worked!
Front squat > back.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #318
Glight

I'm torn between front and back squats. I fear a max back squat much more than a max front squat, but a set of 5+, the back squat is much less frightening. Just so much easier to breathe I guess.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #319
DylloS

Quote:
I dont know man. 205lb front squat to me may feel like a 300lb front squat for you so "heavy weight" is relative. I do know what I am capable of. Maybe I'll have a better understanding when I start front squatting again but I believe there is a reason people say the "back squat is the king of all lifts" rather than the front squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I'm torn between front and back squats. I fear a max back squat much more than a max front squat, but a set of 5+, the back squat is much less frightening. Just so much easier to breathe I guess.
that's the only thing reason that I would consider it "worse" than a back squat. Taking a big breath with weight on your shoulders is tough.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #320
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
I dont know man. 205lb front squat to me may feel like a 300lb front squat for you so "heavy weight" is relative. I do know what I am capable of. Maybe I'll have a better understanding when I start front squatting again but I believe there is a reason people say the "back squat is the king of all lifts" rather than the front squat.
I guess my point is that if your entire abdominal region/lower back/glutes/hips/pelvis (..adductors should be on fire)/quads.....and to some degree, your shoulders aren't feeling it after a front squat session, there is a missing component somewhere. Maybe the sheer volume of how I lift exacerbates the this, but I noticed it from the moment I began front squatting.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360787543