E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #321
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Front squats have always felt more like a natural movement for me, and I can see it having a bigger impact on the core than the back squat. Don't think you can really go wrong with either!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #322
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Also consider the rate of descent. It is easier to "drop" into a front squat, bounce and power out than it is to lower yourself slowly into a front squat position (..mind you, this really places a lot of emphasis on core strength), squeeze and power out. HUGE difference between the two!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360788062
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #323
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Also consider the rate of descent. It is easier to "drop" into a front squat, bounce and power out than it is to lower yourself slowly into a front squat position (..mind you, this really places a lot of emphasis on core strength), squeeze and power out. HUGE difference between the two!
if the front squat had a vagina would you ask it on a date? hahha I'm just playing. You do love yourself some front squat though.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #324
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
if the front squat had a vagina would you ask it on a date? hahha I'm just playing. You do love yourself some front squat though.

I would!

....and yeah, I love it because I can see and feel the results. It was the missing link in my exercise chain.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360791503
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #325
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
My wrists are terrible, especially when trying to front squat. Does the pain/lack of flexibility go away within a few days/weeks?
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #326
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
My wrists are terrible, especially when trying to front squat. Does the pain/lack of flexibility go away within a few days/weeks?
A few weeks. It took me a couple of weeks to warm-up to the wrist positioning. I used to FS and Power Clean on the same day, but that was too taxing on my wrists. Now I Front Squat/Military Press on one day, and Squat/Power Clean on another day. The higher you get your elbows (..lat flexibility), the less pain you will have in your wrists.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-13-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360791681
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #327
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
yea it will go away. The most painful part for me was always racking it at the end. When the tension comes off that's when I'd feel it.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #328
dabears

there's the flexibility part, but also remember to focus on keeping your elbows high. This helps remove tension from the wrists when the weight gets heavy
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #329
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Ok, I'll try doing it more often, I've only been doing it like once a month or so, been focusing more on my back squats and deadlifts.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #330
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I think tomorrow will be my cherry popping, front squat day...
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #331
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
I think tomorrow will be my cherry popping, front squat day...
You an I both man...
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #332
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
You an I both man...
I'm actually going to postpone this at least a day, maybe 2. I did a pretty intense back workout this morning and would like to be nicely recovered for this, especially since it's a completely new workout for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #333
DylloS

just make sure you guys get the form down. Rest that bar on your shoulders and hold it in place with your fingers. Not your palms. Keep your chest up and focus on your elbows being high.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #334
dabears

Everytime I see someone doing the palm hold with a light weight (most likely learning) I want to tell them to do themselves a favour and switch... but I never give advice in the gym it comes across as douchey
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #335
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Everytime I see someone doing the palm hold with a light weight (most likely learning) I want to tell them to do themselves a favour and switch... but I never give advice in the gym it comes across as douchey
same here. I always kept my mouth shut. In my garage I rule with an Iron Fist though.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #336
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I'd wager that the reason why you feel that your back squat is more taxing is because your front squat isn't very heavy. I promise you, when that weight gets heavy, you'll understand what we mean. The back squat doesn't blast your core like the front squat, and I'd wager that the CNS is worked harder during the front squat as well. I love the FS, but I experience anxiety on FS days. I know I'm going to get worked!
I'd tend to agree with this. I think your form might need a little work solly, specifically with driving through your heels and getting your legs closer together. You will up the weight much faster and fs will get a lot harder. The fact that the bar is on the front of your body should engage your core significantly more as you basically drive the bar up and thrust your hips more. Back squat it's a little more comfortable. Once my feet got closer together on front squats and my hips opened up a little, they got much more taxing no feel like my form is pretty damn good right now and I think I can hit 335 for a 2-3 rep max within a month. Ill start taking videos when my hamstring and arm gets healthy.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 02-14-2013 at 10:20 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #337
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
A few weeks. It took me a couple of weeks to warm-up to the wrist positioning. I used to FS and Power Clean on the same day, but that was too taxing on my wrists. Now I Front Squat/Military Press on one day, and Squat/Power Clean on another day. The higher you get your elbows (..lat flexibility), the less pain you will have in your wrists.
Eh. I'm not sure about that. I usually power clean and fs the same day. I think you should incorporate an explosive movement. Every workout whether it be a snatch, clean, kb complex, ect. We maxed with pc and fs the same day
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #338
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Eh. I'm not sure about that. I usually power clean and fs the same day. I think you should incorporate an explosive movement. Every workout whether it be a snatch, clean, kb complex, ect. We maxed with pc and fs the same day
It's not that I don't think they go good together, it's the issue with my wrists. I reckon that if the volume wasn't so high it wouldn't be as taxing on my wrists. I may try to adjust it. I really, really want to work my Snatch, but unfortunately no rubber plates. Maybe I'll incorporate a KB complex. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #339
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I generally feel that way too, BUT at the same time, I literally see somebody about to kill themselves under the weight every time I'm in the gym. I can't, in good conscience, let it ride (..when it's some young whipper-snapper still in, or just out of high school )......at least not until I tell them ONCE what they're doing wrong.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #340
dabears

Quote:
I generally feel that way too, BUT at the same time, I literally see somebody about to kill themselves under the weight every time I'm in the gym. I can't, in good conscience, let it ride (..when it's some young whipper-snapper still in, or just out of high school )......at least not until I tell them ONCE what they're doing wrong.
I also think people would you take you a lot more seriously than me! I don't have the body of a gym "veteran" so I think it would come across the wrong way. Not many people enjoy being told they are doing something "wrong".