E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #381
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
I'm pretty lucky, I've got a best friend since kindergarten as a gym buddy, so we kind of know what each other wants/expects out of a spotter. My safety catches are in terrible spots, either the bar hits 2 inches above my chest, or the bar suffocates me.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #382
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
My rack happens to have the perfect spacing. I can set the pins at a height where I can touch my chest when I have my arch going but if I "deflate" the bar will rest on the pins.
yea I go to my chest. its all about the arch!
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #383
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I have the arch downpat, but I've literally been benching with flared elbows my entire lifting career. Makes me so mad, and also thankful i didn't have any injuries. Excited for tomorrow to tuck them in slightly and aim for lower pec instead of high.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #384
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i need a bit of help:
i've mentioned that i've been lifting in my condo's gym, which is decently equipped, but not fully equipped. the gym doesn't have an incline barbell bench, so i've been doing incline presses with dumbbells on one of them adjustable benches instead. for some reason, the dumbells go up to 65 lbs, and then there's a set of 85 lbs (so it's missing 70s, 75s, and 80-lb dumbbells). typically, i'd do 70-75 lbs for an incline press for a 7-rep set, and i can't put up 85, even on a good day.

my only other option is to load up plates on a smith machine, but i hate using the smith machine for presses.

suggestions?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #385
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i need a bit of help:
i've mentioned that i've been lifting in my condo's gym, which is decently equipped, but not fully equipped. the gym doesn't have an incline barbell bench, so i've been doing incline presses with dumbbells on one of them adjustable benches instead. for some reason, the dumbells go up to 65 lbs, and then there's a set of 85 lbs (so it's missing 70s, 75s, and 80-lb dumbbells). typically, i'd do 70-75 lbs for an incline press for a 7-rep set, and i can't put up 85, even on a good day.

my only other option is to load up plates on a smith machine, but i hate using the smith machine for presses.

suggestions?
I'm assuming there's no barbell right?

I'd slowly increase your reps on the 65lb reps and try to work up to 1 rep, 2 rep, 3 reps of the 85lbs. Can you do them on flat yet? I'd mess with the smith machine as extra work but wouldn't make it the base of my lifting. I think all you can really do is keep going at it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #386
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm assuming there's no barbell right?

I'd slowly increase your reps on the 65lb reps and try to work up to 1 rep, 2 rep, 3 reps of the 85lbs. Can you do them on flat yet? I'd mess with the smith machine as extra work but wouldn't make it the base of my lifting. I think all you can really do is keep going at it.
there's a flat bench with a barbell
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #387
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
there's a flat bench with a barbell
So use that and the dumbbells you can lift.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #388
dabears

My 2c...

Option A) put the incline bench in the smith machine. I am also not a fan of the smith machine for any technical movements, I use it for standing calf raises and thats it.

Option B) Like Solly said, try and work up to the 85 lb dumbells. What is your current rep structure like with the 65's? I bet if you worked up to 12/12/12 or something similar with the 65's (while increasing your flat barbell bench as well) you could push 85's for at least 3 reps, and start going from there.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #389
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
So use that and the dumbbells you can lift.
i like to do both flat and incline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
My 2c...

Option A) put the incline bench in the smith machine. I am also not a fan of the smith machine for any technical movements, I use it for standing calf raises and thats it.

Option B) Like Solly said, try and work up to the 85 lb dumbells. What is your current rep structure like with the 65's? I bet if you worked up to 12/12/12 or something similar with the 65's (while increasing your flat barbell bench as well) you could push 85's for at least 3 reps, and start going from there.
i can do 12/12/12 pretty easy for the 65s. i think you're right; maybe it's time for me to start working towards 85's for incline. i'd been stagnating in the 70s range for a while now.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #390
dabears

get a spotter, and go for minimum 3 reps. Your flat bench progress will definitely influence your incline db progress as well
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #391
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Haven't "maxed" in years.. but am repping (10-8-6) 70 pound dumbbells when solo, 75 pound dumbbells when with a spotter OR 155 with bar or 160 bar (with spotter). On smith machine, I'm up around 180 (but that isn't really a good indicator of anything).

Have no idea what my max would be but probably not much given I never attempt it.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #392
Silversixspeed

Lately when benching, my left shoulder has been getting sharp pains, usually as the bar gets closer to my chest. I used to get stingers in that same shoulder in football as a kid, to the point I'd drop to my knees in pain. I've tried widening/narrowing my grip, but nothing seems to help.
Any way to remedy this?

Last edited by Silversixspeed; 04-18-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #393
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Haven't "maxed" in years.. but am repping (10-8-6) 70 pound dumbbells when solo, 75 pound dumbbells when with a spotter OR 155 with bar or 160 bar (with spotter). On smith machine, I'm up around 180 (but that isn't really a good indicator of anything).

Have no idea what my max would be but probably not much given I never attempt it.
You could prob do 190 or so once
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #394
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Lately when benching, my left shoulder has been getting sharp pains, usually as the bar gets closer to my chest. I used to get stingers in football as a kid, to the point I'd drop to my knees in pain. I've tried widening/narrowing my grip, but nothing seems to help.
Any way to remedy this?
are you doing what it says not to in this video?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #395
Silversixspeed

Quote:
are you doing what it says not to in this video?
I'll have to watch the vid later, work computer has it blocked.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #396
dabears

Quote:
I'll have to watch the vid later, work computer has it blocked.
essentially "flaring the elbows". If you were to practice a bench press right now at your desk, do your elbows tuck in at your sides, or are they parallel to your collarbone? Thats flaring.

http://justinrivelli.files.wordpress...t-position.jpg

^ Don't do that
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #397
5Serious

My Ride: 2002 525i
If you're trying break through to higher weight I'd suggest doing four sets of 12 to 14 with the best form you can possibly do. Doing three reps with 80's or whatever while struggling just may end up ****ing up your shoulders or something. Four sets of 12 to 14 should trigger a different muscle response compared to your normal set rep range.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

Last edited by 5Serious; 04-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.
5Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #398
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Serious View Post
If you're trying break through to higher weight I'd suggest doing four sets of 12 to 14 with the best form you can possibly do. Doing three reps with 80's or whatever while struggling just may end up ****ing up your shoulders or something. Four sets of 12 to 14 should trigger a different muscle response compared to your normal set rep range.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
he does sets of 12 already
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #399
Silversixspeed

Quote:
essentially "flaring the elbows". If you were to practice a bench press right now at your desk, do your elbows tuck in at your sides, or are they parallel to your collarbone? Thats flaring.

http://justinrivelli.files.wordpress...t-position.jpg

^ Don't do that
I think I'm somewhere in between. They don't flare way out, but they dont get next to my ribcage either.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #400
dabears

Quote:
I think I'm somewhere in between. They don't flare way out, but they dont get next to my ribcage either.
if the bar is touching the lower portion of the chest/pec then the elbows are most likely in the proper position. I mean it could be other things, I just know that was the main root cause of my shoulder pains benching