E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Drain plugs

Any way around having to pay over $20 each for transmission and deferential drain plugs? Is it necessary to change them?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
You do not need to change them.
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You need the crush washers for one of them...I think diff, but don't quote me. Check realoem.com for PN or just get them from dealer.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
$20 each? More like $20 for all four! ECS has each of them for ~$5. I imagine eBMWparts would have them cheaper still.

In any event, replace the crush washers on the diff (about 50 cents each). Does the trans even have crush washers?

Luke

Edit: apparently I can't read... as Dmax covered my second point an hour ago

Last edited by lmr2wil; 12-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
The drain plugs I bought during the summer for my diff (BMW) were aluminum with a channel around the rim of the plug head and a silicone "O" ring.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
$20 each? More like $20 for all four! ECS has each of them for ~$5. I imagine eBMWparts would have them cheaper still.

In any event, replace the crush washers on the diff (about 50 cents each). Does the trans even have crush washers?

Luke

Edit: apparently I can't read... as Dmax covered my second point an hour ago
Did ecs fix their excessive shipping charges for small items?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I dont understand why people feel the need to replace parts that never wear out and dont even move....

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Just replace any crush washers. Replace orings that are old.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I dont understand why people feel the need to replace parts that never wear out and dont even move....
Improved design may be one. Another might be the TIS that tells you to replace the part when it's removed. Mine are aluminum, going into a steel housing. The rim with the "O" ring could be easily compromised, even with the correct torque setting.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330iguy View Post
+10
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Improved design may be one. Another might be the TIS that tells you to replace the part when it's removed. Mine are aluminum, going into a steel housing. The rim with the "O" ring could be easily compromised, even with the correct torque setting.
Bringing aluminium and steel together in a fixing should be really be avoided. Why are you putting aluminium with steel? If steel against steel is an option I would go with that.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Bringing aluminium and steel together in a fixing should be really be avoided. Why are you putting aluminium with steel? If steel against steel is an option I would go with that.
This would need to be discussed with BMW's engineers

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
This would need to be discussed with BMW's engineers

Luke
Well while you are at it ask them about galvanic dissolution and the galvanic series of metals. Its a DRAIN PLUG. Like i said. If you can get a steel one use it.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

The BMW sourced part is aluminum. I understand galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals, however there are plenty of parts in our cars where steel directly contacts aluminum without an issue. Wheel lugs, engine studs, an array of nuts, bolts and washers, the plate between the engine and tranny. The list is truly endless.

/// MODS