E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Exclamation A C H T U N G! Important Info For Those Running Wheel Spacers

Hi guys,

As a few of your know I work in Insurance and have been asked many times before about wheel spacers and the likelihood of them impacting on a claim. Until now all the assessors I had spoken to were relatively unaware of wheel spacers.

I don't want to communicate too much detail for obvious reasons. However, I can say that from what I've heard in the last 24 hours I will not be continuing with my plans to install wheel spacers on my vehicle for fear that my insurance company will refuse to pay claims due to them.

If you have them installed at the moment or are considering installing them in the future I would highly recommend you reconsider.

Alternatively, as there are many insurers out there if you intend to continue running spacers it would be a good idea to confirm with your insurer in writing or in a recorded conversation that they will cover your vehicle with the wheel spacers installed.

PS: Please excuse the spaces in a chtung.. Apparently the German word for 'attention' needs to be censored...

Last edited by DeclanM3; 11-21-2012 at 06:53 PM.
DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Hmm, interesting...I assume those cars with OEM spacers (e.g porsche) are the exceptions?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
Hmm, interesting...I assume those cars with OEM spacers (e.g porsche) are the exceptions?
There are 2 grounds that the insurer could refuse the claim on. If it is a modification that was undisclosed and if disclosed would've resulted in the insurer not offering cover. The alternative is the insurer could refuse the claim on the grounds that they are illegal and make the vehicle unroadworthy (similar to bald tyres) and therefore not cover the vehicle on that basis.

If OEM spacers are legal and not a modification I don't see any grounds for refusing the claim but if it were me I'd be confirming this with the insurer just to be sure..

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
[SeN]

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Thanks for the heads up Declan
Which insurance company are you with?

Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SeN] View Post
Thanks for the heads up Declan
Which insurance company are you with?
No worries mate. I'd rather not disclose that.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Fkn insurance companies

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Fkn insurance companies
Don't like it? Don't put wheel spacers on.

Although I've never heard of a company denying a claim due to a modification to the car.

From my experience with other claims, if your claim gets denied because of wheel spacers (first, the cause of the claim would have to be directly attributable to the spacers), fight it with management and you'll get covered just to make you happy.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Oz 330

My Ride: 2004 DYII M3 Vert
Id be arguing fairly strongly if the spacers had nothing to do with the accident ...

You would also need to know the spacers where there in the first place, which if you have never taken your wheels off, you may not have been aware of...

But on the illegality side, I suppose there is always the loophole there for them to get out of paying ...
Oz 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Don't like it? Don't put wheel spacers on.

Although I've never heard of a company denying a claim due to a modification to the car.

From my experience with other claims, if your claim gets denied because of wheel spacers (first, the cause of the claim would have to be directly attributable to the spacers), fight it with management and you'll get covered just to make you happy.
If the company wouldn't have insured you had they been advised of the modifications but insured you due to non disclosure of said modifications they have every right to kick back a claim. You ever listen to a disclosure statement or read a PDS? It's plastered all through them. Same goes for claims, licence suspensions etc.

I agree that I'd try argue it wasn't a contributing factor to the claim. However most companies would get out of the claim on non-disclosure. If you have spacers listed on your policy then there is a chance (no guarantees) that you'd be covered. If they aren't on you policy then you're probably screwed. I also doubt many insurers would actually agree to cover a car with illegal modifications meaning the guys with spacers probably don't have them listed on their policies.

I don't want to get into any debates. I'm simply stating something I've come across and warning fellow fanatics of the possible outcome. If you think you know better I'm not going to stop you from running your spacers. I'm just urging you to rethink the use of spacers based on my experience.

What's the saying? Learn from other people's mistakes?

Last edited by DeclanM3; 11-21-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz 330 View Post
...But on the illegality side, I suppose there is always the loophole there for them to get out of paying ...
Insurance companies make money by taking yours in the form of premiums and paying out less than they collect. If there is any (sometimes unreasonable) argument they can put forward not to pay out, they will find it and use it.

It's a game of playing the odds - what are the odds that they will have to pay a claim? If there is a claim and they deny the claim what are the odds that you will challenge the claim to the point of enforcing a pay out? Is the cost of the claimant enforcing the payout more than the payout itself and therefore is it worth the claimant pursuing?

The only issue for the claimant is to ensure that in the event of a claim being denied, there is no negative rating or mark made against them
by the insurer (similar to a credit rating).

A little over simplified but you get the point...

Cliffs: Take Dec's advice and be wary of mods on your car and your insurance cover.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
I can remember reading on the vicroads site that spacers are illegal in VIC and makes the car un-roadworty unless they came standard from factory (e.g. some Porsches). So IMO anything making the car UN-roadworthy will give the insurer an upper hand and they will use it against you if that saves them money. After all they are a business and not in it for moral reasons sadly. But then is anyone these days ?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
Wheel spacers can fail too.. 100km/h on 3 lane highway 6 months ago - thankfully there was 0 damage other-than the cost for replacement wheels..!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353558956.668099.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	479086  

Last edited by Nath; 11-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
BrisM3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 E30 318is
Apart from the excellent advice that Declan gives, I add that in Queensland it is illegal under the relevant legislation to run spacers on any car to which they are not OEM equipped (the Porsche example for instance is an exception). The result is, in Queensland at least, no insurance company, no matter what they might say, will actually cover you as the vehicle will be illegal if running spacers.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
Wheel spacers can fail too.. 100km/h on 3 lane highway 6 months ago - thankfully there was 0 damage other-than the cost for replacement wheels..!
that's just mad camber.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
As far as im aware it's actually illegal to run spacers in NSW as well according to NRMA and Bob Jane told me the same thing so be careful.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Side note - a c h t u n g is used to identify sticky threads and therefore can't be used as a thread title

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
[SeN]

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Just cancelled my spacers order. No point in running them if its illegal.

Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #18
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Side note - a c h t u n g is used to identify sticky threads and therefore can't be used as a thread title
Yeah I noticed that after I posted the thread. I thought I was being smart putting attention in German. Turns out I was fkn late to that party!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #19
Flintstones

My Ride: .
I never understood why people runs spacers, get the correct offset rims in the first place and there's no issues.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstones View Post
I never understood why people runs spacers, get the correct offset rims in the first place and there's no issues.
agree on the most part.. but its easier said than done

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote