E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
joeyxoxo

My Ride: 2004 m3 smg
Send a message via AIM to joeyxoxo
S54 noise help please

So the other day i was driving my M and i heard this awful noise {really loud kind of ticking grinding between 1500-2500 rpms} coming from the engine. Got the car home and parked it. The next day I got up and when I started the car the noise was gone. Once the car warmed up the noise came back again. Stopped at my mechanic and he said deff sounds like the vanos. I drove the car home and parked it. Its been 2 days since then. Today I finally had time to go out and run the OBD on my car as the CEL came on. Ran the codes and nothing to do with this sound came up. I just went out and started the car for the first time since I had parked it days earlier. Once again no noise. I have noticed my oil temp teatering just above and below the half way mark for the oil temp the other day which had seemed weird to me. Also the heat has been coming and going but coolant is up to where it should and the car DOESN'T over heat. I have no idea what this sound could be. It is deff coming from the head area of the car. Anyone have any ideas? I'm currently trying to sell the car and before I give the thing away I'd like to know what is wrong

facebook.com/joeyfisher13
facebook.com/tattoosbyjoeyfisher
facebook.com/tbmamusic
twitter.com/tbmamusic
Instagram-tbmamusic
joeyxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Could be the cam bolts backing out. What was the CEL? When was the last time you changed your VANOS filter? How many miles do you have?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Could be the cam bolts backing out. What was the CEL? When was the last time you changed your VANOS filter? How many miles do you have?
This is exactly what I was going to ask so I'll just +1 Mike's comment
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
joeyxoxo

My Ride: 2004 m3 smg
Send a message via AIM to joeyxoxo
Just stopped by Landshark in Natick. Guy said it sounds exactly like the vanos bolts. Just reparked the car. He said it was going to be a couple THOUSAND dollars. Is that right?

facebook.com/joeyfisher13
facebook.com/tattoosbyjoeyfisher
facebook.com/tbmamusic
twitter.com/tbmamusic
Instagram-tbmamusic
joeyxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyxoxo View Post
Just stopped by Landshark in Natick. Guy said it sounds exactly like the vanos bolts. Just reparked the car. He said it was going to be a couple THOUSAND dollars. Is that right?
I'd PM Mike - if I recall he has mentioned this procedure in a couple other threads. That price seems a bit high to me.

Last edited by scca_ziptie; 11-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama

Does it sound like this?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
M3SWEETNESS

My Ride: 2002 M3
Couple thousand?!!? F*ck that if you slightly mechanically inclined its a easy step by step job, just takes a decent amount of time. Although if you don't have the time nor really want to do it you might check with some other shops. BMW wanted 700 to change mine out when I got paranoid and asked them about it. At this point in time who knows what else is jacked up in there, just need to open it up and take a look. Either way good luck to you.....
Old 07-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
iansevilla

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I experienced that sound on my car today. I drove 32 miles then parked it for 2hrs. Once I started it. Grinding sound coming from engine or tranny? Weird sound. Turned off the engine then restarted it. Noise was gone???? So weird. I hope that sound stays away for good. No idea what the sound was?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
iansevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
If it's the cam bolts you need to do more than hope it goes away.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
What are the codes? If they say something along the lines of camshaft position sensor over retarded you're looking at a new vanos. And yes that does cost around 2 grand to do it yourself. The vanos failure is triggered by a seized pump which almost always breaks the exhaust cam hub. The new hub is around $800, rebuilt vanos is around $700 with a core charge if it's salvageable and the solenoid pack, which isn't always damaged but don't be surprised if it is, is another $800. So hopefully it's not your vanos. If it's cam bolts, you'll have to replace all of them which isn't very expensive but is a long process and you may need to correct the timing once it's finished. And while you're in there you should do the valve adjustment since taking the valve cover off takes a bit of time for someone who's doing it for the first time. And you'll also need a new valve cover gasket and tube seals which is about $80 from the dealer. The job isn't hard but it is very time consuming. But all of this may be irrelevant depending on the codes. So tell me exactly what codes you're throwing and I'll tell you what you need to do.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote