E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #41
Brian's 325xi

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
I guess I did the right research CV Axle-wise. Those are the exact DIY videos I Used & MillerTime's is the one I had playing while doing it. If only it went that smooth.

We will see tomorrow!

Assuming the threads gone on the carrier-what's a good through bolt (w/ 2 nuts) to use. Read somewhere that 10.9 will be impossible to find and 8.8 is sufficient.
Brian's 325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #42
Brian's 325xi

I Know this is a dumb question but I want to make sure.

Can an Electrical Discharge Machine/EDM/Tap Disintegrator be use to get the bolt out. (By Machinist).

I'm assuming it creates Immensely Ridiculous Heat and won't work with the proximity of shock. And furthermore I don't know about in Aluminum.

Searched exhaustively online and its Ridiculous with thousands of wrong leads:

"EDM" "EDM Strut" "EDM Heat" "EDM Applications" etc:

All Honda guys talking about Clubs & Whatever"

"Electrical Discharge Machine" and "Bolt":

Wikipedia, Courses, Training, Equipment, Services w/ not enough info.

All i have found is that it works-but those are less (sometimes but not always) heat sensitive areas.

Thanks Guys
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Never heard of it, did one search with "removing studs" and got this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...px/95-Tapx.htm
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #44
SVTJimmy

My Ride: 2002 - 330i
What's the carrier made out of? Is it aluminum or steel? If its aluminum you can get some modeling clay and make a mini volcano around the bolt. Fill it with nitric acid, wait a bit and wash it clean. Then u can probably bust it out with a punch and hammer. If its made of steel the EDM is going to be your best bet.
SVTJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #45
Brian's 325xi

OK. I have everything disassembled. CV Axle out of Carrier (A Pain), Tie Rod Detached, End Link Separated, Ball Joint Out w/ Harbor Freight Tool, ABS Separated, etc.

I have just three bolts at the top of the strut remaining. I see the green rivet type thing.

I haven't broken anything yet I think (Except CV Axle at inner joint).

What is this "tap" type this coming out of the top-at 10:00 in pic? I want to minimize damage & reuse everything.
Is this pin a reference point?

How should I drop the strut & carrier?

Thanks Guys

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355352047.158224.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	481852  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's 325xi View Post
OK. I have everything disassembled. CV Axle out of Carrier (A Pain), Tie Rod Detached, End Link Separated, Ball Joint Out w/ Harbor Freight Tool, ABS Separated, etc.

I have just three bolts at the top of the strut remaining. I see the green rivet type thing.

I haven't broken anything yet I think (Except CV Axle at inner joint).

What is this "tap" type this coming out of the top-at 10:00 in pic? I want to minimize damage & reuse everything.
Is this pin a reference point?

Thanks Guys

Brian
The thing at 10:00 is the locating stud on the strut bearing.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's 325xi View Post

All you have to do is undo the three nuts and the strut will drop out.

Got the sway bar link disconnected?
Wiring disconnected?

Are you Metallic Gray-Green? Best color on the planet for e46. Have you seen my garage?

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-13-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #48
Brian's 325xi

Thanks Man. Wiring & End Link are detached.

She is Grey/Green!

So that pin at 10:00 in pick is not attached to the strut?

How much space (high off ground) do I need to pull it out. Do I need to support it or can I loosen the 3 & then hold the shock with my right hand and remove the nuts with my left?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #49
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I took out the strut myself with only two hands when I did my shocks. Just like you said.
Car does not have to be high as unit will be totally twistable.
That locator pin is not holding anything in. Just pulls out of the hole. You'll have no problem. You'll see.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #50
Brian's 325xi

Thanks Guys for All the help. I got through it although, I'm pretty sure the circ-clip didn't set. Having some knocking and thudding.

Going to pull it out and do it again.

For future people tackling this project, some advice from my experience:

It Can Be Done & It's not really that bad. Listen to these forum guys and derive confidence from them.

Tackling it is so incredibly enriching from an engineering knowledge standpoint.

If the strut carrier bolt snaps you are not screwed (order one before the job).

If you are not comfortable drilling it out-don't. If you are be wary of the use of easy-out. That T Handle Requires wisdom & experience.

Do not bring it to a shop (unless you trust there word)-just don't they will charge too much and could snap the easy (did in my case "sorry" $200).

Most Valuable Thing that I did:

Bring Whole Strut & Carrier to a Machine Shop.

Explain the deal.

For $35 the Machinist "Blasted the Bolt With a Ultra Hot Torch for an instant & blew up them bolt-whatever that means"

He advised that in doing so for such a short period of time the heat doesn't have time to significantly conduct from the 10.9 steel stud to the aluminum strut & carrier (therefore preventing damage).

The threads were mint & intact.

Had this not worked make sure the shop has a relationship with another machine shop that had an EDM Machine (aka Bolt Blaster/Bolt Disintegrator). These guys don't take awkward small jobs I think it's probably best to start with a local, inspired, owner-operated shop (travel around take a look-are they busy?/look competent?/similar jobs present?/know what an edm is?). I over think everything & accordingly spent free instants through the day going down the list in my area for three days. Then checked out the guys in the early am before work.

Another tip. When getting parts from BMW walk by the bays in & out (forget something). Spot the youngest, most ambitious looking apprentice mechanic, bum a cigarette (even if you don't smoke) give him $2 and ask what would you do/go?

Just my insight. For what it's worth!

THANK YOU GUYS!

B