E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
fapping to my compliment? I'm flattered.
I'm pretty sure your comment was sarcasm. I have no idea what I did to personally irk you but whatever it was or is, I apologize.

Life is too short.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #42
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
cliffs?
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #43
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
cliffs?
Zhp43867 and ghostflame got into it
butthurt resulted
3 page of complaining
?????
Profit

Oh you meant the other thread:

Tl;dr

///M

Last edited by Redline; 11-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #44
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
have you seen or read some of the comments. it made me sick and you should also be disgusted.
but people are always gonna do it I guess the only thing left to do is finally develop a sense of humor

Last edited by pancakes; 11-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #45
914kid

My Ride: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I'm pretty sure your comment was sarcasm. I have no idea what I did to personally irk you but whatever it was or is, I apologize.

Life is too short.
nice headlights bro
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Go look at that thread, take a step back, and honestly tell me it's not trending racist.
I read the entire thread and I'm familiar with the forum having been a member since 3 days after it launched. The thread is not racist nor is it "trending racist". The thread is, however, including a lot of jokes about stereotypes based on the possession of stolen property by a person who exhibits a significant number of things to suggest the person in the pictures fits that stereotype. The jokes would likely have been made (albeit different jokes) should the person in the picture have exhibited stereotypical features of a dumb redneck, a hippie, or any other generalization.

Are there racist gun owners in Georgia? Sure.
Are there racist BMW owners in California? Sure.
Are there racist [insert category here] in [insert location here]? Sure.

Does that mean all jokes about a stereotype are racist? Not in the least. I've met hundreds of people from that site, including gatherings where over 300 people showed up of all races, ages, and income brackets. I have never seen one member of that site that I have met in person who exhibited any signs of actual racism or disrespect to people of different races, ages, incomes, or even sexual orientation (though a large percentage are highly religious).

That you can't understand or recognize the use of humor by some of the people on the site implies to me that you likely have a very limited world experience and just can't recognize jokes, behaviors, words, or sayings that aren't common in your limited experience for what they are. That you would attempt to judge an entire group of people based on an exceptionally limited sampling of your interpretations of their meanings tells me that you care less about understanding the facts and circumstances regarding something and more about your gut feeling based on a lack of understanding or exposure to that group of people.

Last edited by Wraisil; 11-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #47
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
I read the entire thread and I'm familiar with the forum having been a member since 3 days after it launched. The thread is not racist nor is it "trending racist". The thread is, however, including a lot of jokes about stereotypes based on the possession of stolen property by a person who exhibits a significant number of things to suggest the person in the pictures fits that stereotype. The jokes would likely have been made (albeit different jokes) should the person in the picture have exhibited stereotypical features of a dumb redneck, a hippie, or any other generalization.

Are there racist gun owners in Georgia? Sure.
Are there racist BMW owners in California? Sure.
Are there racist [insert category here] in [insert location here]? Sure.

Does that mean all jokes about a stereotype are racist? Not in the least. I've met hundreds of people from that site, including gatherings where over 300 people showed up of all races, ages, and income brackets. I have never seen one member of that site that I have met in person who exhibited any signs of actual racism or disrespect to people of different races, ages, incomes, or even sexual orientation (though a large percentage are highly religious).

That you can't understand or recognize the use of humor by some of the people on the site implies to me that you likely have a very limited world experience and just can't recognize jokes, behaviors, words, or sayings that aren't common in your limited experience for what they are. That you would attempt to judge an entire group of people based on an exceptionally limited sampling of your interpretations of their meanings tells me that you care less about understanding the facts and circumstances regarding something and more about your gut feeling based on a lack of understanding or exposure to that group of people.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #48
Wraisil

Quote:
Such an intelligent and clearly thought out post. I'm sure you would like to amend your earlier statement that people who post on gun forums are more likely to be racist to also say that people who post on BMW forums are more likely to be racist, gizmodo writers are more likely to be racist, people who post on motorcycle forums are more likely to be racist, people who post on bodybuilding forums are more likely to be racist etc since forums/sites for all of those and more also contain similar comments on the same subject right?

Or maybe, just maybe, my previous post was correct and you simply need to get a thicker skin and recognize jokes for jokes and not try to play the racist card every time someone makes a joke about someone who isn't a caucasian male...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #49
pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m=power View Post
you both have sand in your vag
+1
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #50
Grande D

Quote:
Or maybe, just maybe, my previous post was correct and you simply need to get a thicker skin and recognize jokes for jokes and not try to play the racist card every time someone makes a joke about someone who isn't a caucasian male...
Clearly that is a community you are a part of. I did not realize I struck such a nerve.

I would say out of people I know (and yes, I know a lot of people) there is a tendency for the whole gun-toting type is more likely to be racist (or maybe just prejudiced) than others.

Again I never called all gun owners rednecks or racists.

And I do not believe I have ever played the race card before. My skin is pretty thick.

I do not believe that you have never met someone who is racist from that site. I just do not believe it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #51
pancakes

both of you

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmies.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	480028  

Last edited by pancakes; 11-28-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #52
Grande D

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
Wraisil

Quote:
Clearly that is a community you are a part of. I did not realize I struck such a nerve.

I would say out of people I know (and yes, I know a lot of people) there is a tendency for the whole gun-toting type is more likely to be racist (or maybe just prejudiced) than others. Well, with your exposure to the overwhelming majority of gun owners in the world I'm sure it could not be anything other than a perfect sample from which to draw conclusions...

Again I never called all gun owners rednecks or racists. No, you said that people who posted on gun sites were more likely to be racist and attempted to back that up with your opinion of the comments in one thread

And I do not believe I have ever played the race card before. My skin is pretty thick. Not thick enough to recognize jokes about stereotypes =/= racist though...

I do not believe that you have never met someone who is racist from that site. I just do not believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I have never seen one member of that site that I have met in person who exhibited any signs of actual racism or disrespect to people of different races, ages, incomes, or even sexual orientation (though a large percentage are highly religious).
Reading comprehension.... I didn't say there weren't any racists on that site or that anyone I met wasn't a racist. Of course, 99.9% of people who meet me don't recognize that I carry a gun on me most of the time or many other things about me. I do know that the site has members who give free stuff to people, including giveaways of hundreds of dollars to strangers in need with no apparent care about their race or age or anything else. I can't say I've seen nearly as much generosity from this site or the other BMW sites I'm on yet I'm not ridiculous enough to try and conclude that BMW site posters are selfish people who don't give to others based on such flimsy "evidence".

And yes, you did strike a nerve. I have seen members of that site take care of each other, take care of strangers, and take care of their communities because the overwhelming majority are honest caring people with a desire to make their communities better and to make the lives of friends and strangers better. Your attempt to stereotype gun site posters as "more likely to be racist" is as absurd to me as it is ignorant and, quite frankly, insulting. Even more so knowing many of the people you blatantly decided to deem "more likely to be racist".
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #54
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey v View Post
both of you

okay...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IthinkIshall.png
Views:	57
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	480030  
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #55
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra

Last edited by Andy2108; 11-28-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #56
GhostFlame

My Ride: LSB/HPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Zhp43867 and ghostflame got into it
butthurt resulted
3 page of complaining
?????
Profit
You're right
can you kiss my hurt butt to make it better?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #57
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
this

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #58
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
okay...
Once you go craft, you never go back.

Bud Light USED to be good... then I got spoiled with high-gravity, more flavorful beers (brewed with fruits, chocolate, coffee, etc.). There's more to it than just horse urine and club soda.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #59
pancakes

so what ever happened? anyone know?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #60
Bart Taylor

My Ride: 2000 323i touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i know in your head that sounded like a nice comeback/argument but you just sound like a fool.
Bart Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote