E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
ryannel2003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 973
My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
I just bought the rack, I still need to buy the outers. What brand did you go for ?
Lemforder only. They can be had for about $40 a piece from online vendors.
__________________
ryannel2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Oh yea, I forgot I bought the steering guibo too. I couldn't find it on bma so I got it off turner Motorsports..
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Right. That's what I said. I was just making sure you don't buy extras. So which outer tierods did you buy and for how much?

You're my friend, ryannel2003, but please stop saying ZHP unit. That's like saying ZHP doors or ZHP hood or ZHP valve cover. It doesn't really exist :-p

The correct term is 9/01+ 330 rack.

The difference, as Rich (Rack doctor) showed, is ratio and internals. Basically heavier and faster. I'm not sure what the 323 has but I'm sure it's not as sporty (probably the 678 purple tag rack)
It's not a ZHP specific unit, but you aren't right either.

All ZHPs have the 712 rack. 330s came with several different racks. Even if your 330 was manufactured after 09/01 it may not come with a 712 rack. It also may come with one.

UDM may not have a 712 rack. I don't know how you made that conclusion- it is totally without merit. We established that realOEM did not appear to be showing the whole story when it came to which production dates came with which rack.

The only car that is guaranteed to come with the 712 is the ZHP. I thought everyone agreed on that in the last thread.

Get your facts straight and your panties out of a bunch.

Last edited by Grande D; 11-27-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
It's not a ZHP specific unit, but you aren't right either.

All ZHPs have the 712 rack. 330s came with several different racks. Even if your 330 was manufactured after 09/01 it may not come with a 712 rack. It also may come with one.

UDM may not have a 712 rack. I don't know how you made that conclusion- it is totally without merit. We established that realOEM did not appear to be showing the whole story when it came to which production dates came with which rack.

The only car that is guaranteed to come with the 712 is the ZHP. I thought everyone agreed on that in the last thread.

Get your facts straight and your panties out of a bunch.
I'm largely going to ignore this. I almost spit my drink out. Good luck, my friend!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
It's not a ZHP specific unit, but you aren't right either.

All ZHPs have the 712 rack. 330s came with several different racks. Even if your 330 was manufactured after 09/01 it may not come with a 712 rack. It also may come with one.

UDM may not have a 712 rack. I don't know how you made that conclusion- it is totally without merit. We established that realOEM did not appear to be showing the whole story when it came to which production dates came with which rack.

The only car that is guaranteed to come with the 712 is the ZHP. I thought everyone agreed on that in the last thread.

Get your facts straight and your panties out of a bunch.
I remember rack doctor explaining they're were "3" different racks available, right? I knew I wasn't loosing it.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm largely going to ignore this. I almost spit my drink out. Good luck, my friend!
Are you fvcking kidding me Mango? I was wrong about the ZHP having its own rack. But that doesn't mean every 330 after 09/01 has it. It seems like a go look and inspect kind of thing. You happen to have one- which doesn't mean every 330 has, lets call it, "the best 330 rack."

What am I missing? What's wrong with you?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Damn it, I'm just going to take a quick look tomorrow and see if I can get tag to confirm this contradiction, capiche' ?
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Damn it, I'm just going to take a quick look tomorrow and see if I can get tag to confirm this contradiction, capiche' ?
Please do, before this thread explodes.

For all of our sakes.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Will do ! And once I do, no arguing! We'll just walk away from it, haha.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm largely going to ignore this. I almost spit my drink out. Good luck, my friend!
You piss me off. So I found a quote. Here is a summary of that thread. Unless I'm missing something this is entirely factual:


Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I'm making this thread so that the facts can be clearly laid out for anyones use.
this is info regarding the notorious "zhp steering rack"
for a while some people believed that the zhp had a special rack just for that package. however, people were finding steering racks with the same part number on regular 330s. so these are the facts to clarify.

The 330 zhp only received the steering rack with the part number 7852974712

the regular 330s could receive 3 different steering racks. how bmw chose these cars, we do not know. but the numbers are
7852974712
7852974678
and a non ZF label from TRW with unknown part number.

this means that a zhp can only receive the 712 rack, but there are a number of regular 330's that would receive this rack as well. like i said, we're not really sure there's a pattern to which cars received what rack.

at this point, we do not know how many 330s got the 712 rack and how many got the other two racks. all we can be sure of is all zhps have the 712 rack or should have it.

note: this information is regarding 2001+ 330s. earlier 330s will have different racks and part number that are not discussed in this thread

Last edited by Grande D; 11-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Will do ! And once I do, no arguing! We'll just walk away from it, haha.
lol sounds good to me. So far all the evidence (realoem) and actual photos by yours truly have shown all 01+ 330s (MY02+ 330s) to have yellow tag 712 racks. I also recently looked at a MY02 330 non-sport that had a yellow tag 712 rack.

There's multiple threads on bimmerfest showing the same yellow 712 tags on 02+ 330s
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
You piss me off. So I found a quote. Here is a summary of that thread. Unless I'm missing something this is entirely factual:




eh. Yea. like i said: 9/01+ 330s. I never said all 330s. Ever.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #33
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
lol sounds good to me. So far all the evidence (realoem) and actual photos by yours truly have shown all 01+ 330s (MY02+ 330s) to have yellow tag 712 racks. I also recently looked at a MY02 330 non-sport that had a yellow tag 712 rack.

There's multiple threads on bimmerfest showing the same yellow 712 tags on 02+ 330s
Yes, they can have the 712s, as my post stated. I was very, very clear about that. However there was at least one 330 rack from an 03 production date with a purple tag on it from the other thread. Rich said he has received others from 330s that were not 712.

Last edited by Grande D; 11-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
I'll be back later. For now, I shine the Grand Kodiak light in the sky. I hope he comes out.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
eh. Yea. like i said: 9/01+ 330s. I never said all 330s. Ever.
But... that isn't what the quoted post says...
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Yes, they can have the 712s, as my post stated. I was very, very clear about that. However there was at least one 330 rack from an 03 production date with a purple tag on it from the other thread. Rich said he has received others from 330s that were not 712.
He posted one example. There's also 330s that had kamikaze body kits installed... or E38s with Daewoo front ends.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
But... that isn't what the quoted post says...
I really have no idea what you are saying, trying to say, trolling, or trying to troll. Please leave me alone.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #38
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
He posted one example. There's also 330s that had kamikaze body kits installed... or E38s with Daewoo front ends.
Still. It was never concluded that all 09/01+ 330s have the 712, even though the ETK says they are supposed to. As the quoted post I reposted states quite clearly.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #39
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,327
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I really have no idea what you are saying, trying to say, trolling, or trying to troll. Please leave me alone.
Huh? I really don't think anyone is going to side with you this time. I must be missing something. This was the quote I posted:

Quote:
The 330 zhp only received the steering rack with the part number 7852974712

the regular 330s could receive 3 different steering racks. how bmw chose these cars, we do not know. but the numbers are
7852974712
7852974678
and a non ZF label from TRW with unknown part number.

this means that a zhp can only receive the 712 rack, but there are a number of regular 330's that would receive this rack as well. like i said, we're not really sure there's a pattern to which cars received what rack.

at this point, we do not know how many 330s got the 712 rack and how many got the other two racks. all we can be sure of is all zhps have the 712 rack or should have it.
To which you responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
eh. Yea. like i said: 9/01+ 330s. I never said all 330s. Ever.
That is clearly contradicted by the quoted post. Not all 09/01 330s came with the 712. Just some. So what am I missing brother?

Last edited by Grande D; 11-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,688
My Ride: M54B30
So BMW mixed and matched racks willy nilly, huh? Just whatever Hanz felt like installing that day? For parts that are such significantly different as a 712 and non-712 rack (678), that's pretty surprising. That would be like 330s being installed with 328 brakes on some days and 330 brakes on other days. HMM I THINK I'LL JUST INSTALL 328 BRAKES 2DAY HANZ, WHAT DO U THINK? YA BRO GO 4 it.

BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use