E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
2002 330Ci Winter Wheel and Tire question

Hi guys, my first post here...I've recently become the proud owner of a 2002 330Ci with only 38 k miles. I uploaded some pics too... Even though we just had a hurricane blow through, I'm happy to say I've had a blast so far driving this car and can't wait to find some debris-free roads to really cut loose on.

Anyway, I've done a ton of searching before making this post, so please don't flame me for asking this question (which I couldn't find the right answer for in my searches here).

If possible, I'd like to keep the staggered rim setup for winter on the original OEM style 68 wheels which are:

17 x 7 1/2 J, et: 41 up front
and
17 x 8 1/2 J, et: 50 in the rear

I've read different opinions on whether it is best to have a staggered setup in winter and it seems a few posters have no issues in snow with good tires and the same size rims as my style 68s.

I won't be doing a bunch of deep snow driving, but want some good winter capability and as a result I am looking at a performance sport tire for winter so I don't sacrifice too much dry performance (which are really most days - dry clear roads - even in Long Island winters).

My question is this:
Can I use size 225/45/17 winter tires, (which is what the fronts use now, but they're summers), on the larger rear rims as well (the 17 x 8 1/2 J rims)?

I've read that 1 size tire can fit on a range of rim sizes, but I cannot seem to pin this information down regarding this precise fitment.

Currently, I have 245/50/17 summer tires on the rears. What I want to explore is having a 'square' tire, not rim setup for winter, using 225/45/17's all around on the existing staggered rims.

In conclusion, I'm trying to avoid purchasing extra rims, (I just love the look of these) and use the style 68s year round, and just worry about switching out the summer for winter rubber each year. One concern is that I need to get the style 68's refinished and made true..two have notable warping - seen when the car was on the lift, hard to detect it too much yet when driving - and two are just slightly warped. Found a reputable local company that refinishes, straightens remounts and aligns them for $125 per, which sounds reasonable to me so I was probably going to do that...if I hit less potholes and curbs than the previous owner, (which I should since he lived in an urban environment and I don't), I think I'll be able to make the rims last through winters and keep them looking good for years.

Any and all input is welcome, but Gary@Tire Rack, if you're out there, I would really love to hear from you in particular and I'll likely get my tires through you guys too

Thanks in advance!

PS: What does the 'J' in the style 68 rim measurements mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121026_171912.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	476772   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121026_171934.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	476773  

Last edited by Teraxx; 11-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Teraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Yes, 225/45R17 can indeed be used on the rear 17X8.5 wheels with no problem. This is actually very common to do for winter use and results in better snow traction.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...nter/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Thank you, Gary. Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Teraxx; 11-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Teraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
jcrori

My Ride: 2002 330 CI
Lots of questions on winter wheel/tire combos

I've been looking at tirerack for good winter tire/wheel combinations and am getting a little confused. I have just purchased a 2004 330CI convertible with the M sport wheels. In looking at the tire rack site it says I could use 205/55/16 tires on the car. Is this right and what size wheel would I use to make sure they dont hit the calipers?
jcrori is offline   Reply With Quote